Trip to Port Hardy. Advice solicited

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

leeelson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Trip to Port Hardy. Advice solicited

Post by leeelson »

Though I've been to Canada several times, never (recently) this far north. Planning a trip from the US to CYZT. Here's my plan: fly to Renton, then direct to CYZT using EAPIS and CANPASS. Landing at CYZT, I'll call CANPASS. Does someone usually come out to the airport or are they always there? I know fuel is expensive but that is the closest reasonable airport to my destination. On the return, I will file IFR if necessary using the NAV Canada flight plan system. I'll also call US Customs at Renton (I'll need wifi at CYZT for VOIP-no cell coverage). If it's IMC, how do I open my flight plan (get a clearance)? Use Hardy radio? Can I call them on the ground? Does this seem like it will work?
---------- ADS -----------

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Trip to Port Hardy. Advice solicited

Post by BeaverDreamer »

Your IFR plan will open automatically when you talk to Hardy radio, they will also relay your clearance from ATC. Yes you can call them on the ground, in fact you have to! Weather on the northern parts of the island can be quite bizarre, many times it will be completely clear for the whole island until port McNeil or so and then it will be down to IFR... sounds like a fun trip, where is your destination?

PAJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PAJ »

leeelson wrote:Landing at CYZT, I'll call CANPASS.
You must call at least 2 hours before but no more than 48 hours prior to the aircraft's estimated time of arrival. Its random if they attend. In all my trips returning to Southern Ontario I have only physically seen them once.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass ... r-eng.html

PAJ

Flight takes MORE than Airspeed and Money ...
leeelson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by leeelson »

BeaverDreamer wrote:Your IFR plan will open automatically when you talk to Hardy radio, they will also relay your clearance from ATC. Yes you can call them on the ground, in fact you have to! Weather on the northern parts of the island can be quite bizarre, many times it will be completely clear for the whole island until port McNeil or so and then it will be down to IFR... sounds like a fun trip, where is your destination?
The long periods of low IFR at CYZT are a concern especially since an alternate is pretty far away.

We're headed to Telegraph Cove for a 3 day whale watching kayak trip.

Return to “General Comments”