My First ILS to minimums

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: My First ILS to minimums

Post by BTD »

mbav8r wrote:
BTD wrote:
mbav8r wrote: Does AC have specific criteria for cat I ILS approaches?

Yes. Generally half scale.
Generally half scale is not an SOP, I was asking for specific, ie; 1/3 dot loc and 1/2 dot G\S on CAT II/III.
We do have specific language, like no turns below 500' except to line up with the runway which would apply in this case. I can't find anything specific in the regs or COM that prevent a landing from this approach and I'm sorry if this offends but I don't believe for one second, Rockie et al have not landed from 1/2 scale deflection on an ILS in their career and again, I find nothing that says you must go around.
Correct me if I'm wrong!
I answered yes to your question. Air Canada does have specific criteria for a cat I approach.

What I meant by generally, is that most often that specific criteria is half scale. There may be fleets where the AOM has a different tolerance. I can't speak to all of that. My AOM is half scale loc and half scale g/s.
---------- ADS -----------

Orvlrite
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Orvlrite »

This is becoming chalk and cheese here. I'm sure many pilots would agree here that it would be very different try to salvage an approach at mins and 1/2 scale loc in a bus. But in a light twin with a 10000'x200' runway it's a whole different ball game/viewpoint and frankly I think he made a decent decision given the situation he was in.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Rockie wrote: Unstable approaches are the bane of the airline industry so yes, when the approach is unstable the proper thing to do is follow the rules and go-around. Bad things can happen if you don't.
Key concept there is airline meaning transport category aircraft meaning large aircraft. Had the OP been flying an A320, or even a lowly Dash-8 he would not have been able to do what he did; there would have been just too much inertia to overcome and stay stable.

However, he was not in a large aircraft, he was in a light aircraft. Not a lot of inertia. A light aircraft can be manouvered like that safely. The key determining factor is pilot comfort and skill.

Now my own personal rant: Why do people insist on flying C150s like they are A320s? You leave so much capability and room for skill development un-tapped when you do that.

icewa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by icewa »

F..K Yea!!!! Awesome first approach down to minimums!!! I love hand bombing down to mins.

Airplanes

Return to “General Comments”