Paper maps vs EFB/GPS for VFR

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Paper maps vs EFB/GPS for VFR

Post by geneticistx »

Just curious how many of you are still using paper VNC/VTA or a GPS and/or IPAD for VFR flights.
Advantages for both, but just curious.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Paper maps vs EFB/GPS for VFR

Post by ahramin »

Flight planning paper WAC and VNC. For navigation I use a Garmin 296. For communication, VTA.

dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirtdr »

All EFB for me VFR or IFR

Foreflight on main iPad mini. Backup iPad charged up in seat pocket. And on my phone as well.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Using Ipad for my main usage, but always have the papers in the bag (just in case)

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

If anyone actually USED maps anymore, of course the paper ones would be better. You can unfold them and see large sections of your route at once without having to shrink it to fit into a little screen. You can draw on it and make notes. You can add obstacles and mark pilotage bearings. But of course why bother doing any of that? Just use a tablet with a built-in GPS.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

Yes.

I use both. On a flight earlier in the summer that had three legs I used ForeFlight with my Bad Elf GPS, the plane's Aera 796 GPS, and charts in my lap. I didn't get lost. :-)

...laura

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

From an old guy, gotta say that I prefer paper. You can fold it, you can draw on it, you can flip it over, you can circle things, etc...

Paper book or electronic book?

But, I used the ipad, forced to do it, must say the electronic version does the job.

Aw well.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I found using electronic nav aids was far more accurate than trying to map read across the ocean using a paper map.

Same thing for flying the Sahara Desert.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
ARGO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ARGO »

Any student pilots reading this? It's been years since I've been to a FTU. I'm curious if schools have gone paperless, or are paper maps still the norm in the learning environment.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

ARGO wrote:Any student pilots reading this? It's been years since I've been to a FTU. I'm curious if schools have gone paperless, or are paper maps still the norm in the learning environment.
It's still a requirement to be able to navigate using the "old" paper maps. And all schools teach students to use maps.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Schools still teach and use paper maps. Although I believe this is a good skill and required, I think the industry needs to start transitioning to more modern teachings along side paper.

I do my flight planning at home and like to unfold the whole trip out across the table and brief myself. I make a list of frequencies in the order I will need them, but rarely open the big map in the plane. I have an older VFR GPS (Garmin 295) in the plane and flightplan go on the yoke. After playing with foreflight last year on a long trip, I believe it is worth the upgrade over the free one (but that's a new thread....)

I always carry paper still because the batteries or GPS printed on it will never fail!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Meatservo wrote:If anyone actually USED maps anymore, of course the paper ones would be better. You can unfold them and see large sections of your route at once without having to shrink it to fit into a little screen. You can draw on it and make notes. You can add obstacles and mark pilotage bearings. But of course why bother doing any of that? Just use a tablet with a built-in GPS.
Plus, if it weren't for paper maps, what would you use to block out the sun when the shade just doesn't cut it?

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

I still keep (slightly outdated) paper maps in my bag as a backup and practice flying without the GPS on once in a while to keep the skill somewhat sharp, but I switched to using a tablet with Fltplan Go a few years ago. Not only is having the GPS information overlaid directly over a VNC useful for situational awareness (especially if you couple it with Sat WX or ADS-B), I found the ongoing cost to be lower. My tablet was about $200 (Samsung 10"), and Fltplan Go is free, and with that I get updated maps and CFS for all the areas I fly. If I were using all up to date paper docs for the not-to-distant flights that I do I would need the Calgary VNC, Regina VNC, Calgary VTA, Edmonton VTA, Winnipeg VTA, Great Falls Sectional, CFS, NW AF/D, and possibly southern BC and Vancouver VNC/VTA. All at about $20 per edition.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General Comments”