Tofino CYAZ Taxiway F

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Tofino CYAZ Taxiway F

Post by milotron »

hi.

It's been awhile ( years ) since I have been into Tofino, but heading there this week.

Does taxiway F still have the gravel ditch crossing it? It is navigable or is the process to back track down the active to get to the terminal?

Also, is the landing fee collected on site or in the mail?

thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Tofino CYAZ Taxiway F

Post by jg24 »

milotron wrote:hi.

It's been awhile ( years ) since I have been into Tofino, but heading there this week.

Does taxiway F still have the gravel ditch crossing it? It is navigable or is the process to back track down the active to get to the terminal?

Also, is the landing fee collected on site or in the mail?

thanks,

Call up the airport to get the most updated info. Use the operator number on CFS or just google the number.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Nanaimo radio is the RCO and an Canada will bill you for the use of the airport. Haven't operated out of there in about 3 years now...

ScottS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ScottS »

Rowdy wrote:Nanaimo radio is the RCO and an Canada will bill you for the use of the airport. Haven't operated out of there in about 3 years now...
They actually switched it to Port Hardy Radio for this summer, but I just looked at today's CFS release and it it is back to Nanaimo. Interesting. Edit: By NOTAM, it is still being handled by Hardy radio.

I am not aware of any landing fees for private aircraft. Parking maybe.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I was there last summer and I'm pretty sure there was no gravel ditch on taxiway F.

Both Nanaimo and Hardy radio are very friendly and helpful, so if you just ask them about the landing fee on the radio I'm sure they'll tell you what to do. There's no Nav Canada staff on-site, so I highly doubt that you'll actually pay someone on-site. There are only landing fees for commercial flights.

milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by milotron »

Thanks for the tips.

Hardy vs Nanaimo: That explains why I kept hearing the Hardy radio chatter in that area! I thought I was getting some remarkable radio reception to hear that near Victoria!

Haven' t been there since the built the terminal building. Nice that they have rental cars now.

The gravel ditch across F was there at that time, I suppose it was dealt with by now.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

milotron wrote:Nice that they have rental cars now.
Yeah, if you don't mind paying $100/day or $460/week in low season.

hangar3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hangar3 »

CpnCrunch wrote:
milotron wrote:Nice that they have rental cars now.
Yeah, if you don't mind paying $100/day or $460/week in low season.
It's either that or $50 one way using the only cab in town...
I would take a rental, that way you can hit up all the good spots you want on the coast. Call ahead because they don't man the desks all the time from what I could tell.

Regarding the ditch, I don't remember seeing a ditch anywhere? :rolleyes:
I doubt there would be a problem if you backtrack one of the 3 runways as it's not that busy.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

I was there in July and there was nothing unusual about Taxiway F when I taxied from the terminal apron to take off from Runway 25.

Dunno about Hardy vs. Nanaimo Radio; the CFS still says Nanaimo, but the NOTAM still says Hardy. When I was there I talked to Hardy Radio.
C-GWHG at CYAZ
C-GWHG at CYAZ
SAM_2472.jpg (300.09 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
...laura

milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by milotron »

The ditch is/was between the terminal and the north end of the site and appears to be in the satellite image.
Noted with white Xes on each side.

Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (861 KiB) Viewed 1117 times

Return to “General Comments”