How are People Filing IFR Flight Plans?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

How are People Filing IFR Flight Plans?

Post by Gannet167 »

Several flight planning websites like Fltplan.com, Jetplan.com etc offer an ability to file online. Nav Canada has the "Collaborative Flight Planning System" ( https://plan.navcanada.ca ). Some guys are calling it in on the phone. I personally like having an electronic or hard copy of exactly what I filed and ATC has on their end.

What's the best way to file these days?
---------- ADS -----------

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: How are People Filing IFR Flight Plans?

Post by plhought »

Sounds archaic but Fax is the way to go :smt023

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I have run into problems filing on the phone (cleared FPR and they didn't accept the filed route) so I like filing with NavCanPlan. Works well and it's easy to take a screenshot. I'll still file on the phone though if a computer isn't handy or I don't have time.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Phone or Foreflight, which emails you confirmation of filing, and your route clearance if filing IFR.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

Normally call it in.

Wahunga!
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Over the phone worked best. Fltplan.com had issues with northern routes sometimes. Once you are used to the system, the phone works almost as quickly.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Fltplan

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Phone

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Phone has proved most reliable so far

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

+ 1 on Fltplan, I really like the preferred routes that show up.

"I need a time machine"
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I really like CFPS, but there is one dumb thing. The master flight plan list I made of 10 or so flights I often fly populates Navcanada's computer with 10 master flight plans. Multiply that by the half dozen pilots at out company using it and when someone phones in a flight plan the FIC or ACC has to sort through 25 "masters" to figure out which one is accurate.

I liked having a catalogue of flight plans available so all I had to do was change the ETD, and number of pax. I deleted all but 2 of my plans after Navcan complained, now I have to change a dozen fields and already I've made a few dumb mistakes, which is a combination of medevac rush rush, and trying to look at the ICAO form on a cell phone screen.

kev994
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by kev994 »

ForeFlight. Takes a bit to get used to but once you figure out the features it’s pretty slick.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

I hope one of the NavCan FIC guys/gals can jump in here and share their $0.02... But when I last spoke to one of the briefers at the FIC in Kamloops, he said that they hated the flight plans that came from Foreflight and other flight planning software because the flight plans didn't mesh well with their systems and they had to manually edit/correct each flight plan that came their way. He mentioned having to call back the odd person to confirm certain parts of the flight plan because of this issue.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Phone to Flight Services is always the fastest and the most reliable IMHO. I want to say I’ve gone from filing to copying a clearance inside of ten minutes doing it that way.

Nothing worse than having to sit with engines running on the phone to IFR data or FIC when the faxed or electronic flight plan hasn’t gone through or you get an abortion of a clearance because FIC had to fix all of the mistakes.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

It's been awhile since I had to file my own flight plans....the phone in my era was the easiest, even up to 2006, if not the only option.

Sad to hear that in our connected world, that it is not always efficient to file something so easy, and that we rely on old tech. to do this basic job.

Hell, you can order pizzas online...............

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

We use Fltplan.com.
At a prior company, I used to use the Nav Canada online filing system way back in 2005ish (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth...)

never had any issues with Fltplan. Have filed online and gotten the clearance in less than 5 minutes.
We do lots of trans-border work and their eAPIS program is worth every penny.

The one thing I would like to see is the ability to file IFR itineraries electronically. In this situation, which is the norm for most northern ops, the phone is the best (only!) method.

BBB

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
ScottS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ScottS »

co-joe wrote:I really like CFPS, but there is one dumb thing. The master flight plan list I made of 10 or so flights I often fly populates Navcanada's computer with 10 master flight plans. Multiply that by the half dozen pilots at out company using it and when someone phones in a flight plan the FIC or ACC has to sort through 25 "masters" to figure out which one is accurate.

I liked having a catalogue of flight plans available so all I had to do was change the ETD, and number of pax. I deleted all but 2 of my plans after Navcan complained, now I have to change a dozen fields and already I've made a few dumb mistakes, which is a combination of medevac rush rush, and trying to look at the ICAO form on a cell phone screen.
I found this out too by doing the same thing (VFR not IFR). Even the previous owner's master flight plan is still showing up in the system.

Once (and only once) I filed a VFR online through CFPS, and when I went to close by phone it was not in their system. All other times it has worked, but it was a bit unnerving.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Our dispatch does it for us. :-)

Instructor_Mike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Instructor_Mike »

Strictly over the phone. IFR flight plan or Itinerary for multiple uncontrolled airport hops.

We use an excel sheet with some macros for our flight planning. Our Chief of Ops is really good with that stuff. Since we mostly just go to the 5 same airports repeatedly I do it from memory usually.

Depart timmins at 1200 zulu, 17 thousand direct, Moosonee 55 minutes enroute, Alternate Timmins, 4.5 hours fuel, 2 plus manifest and then captain is me.

(Assuming full fuel for another trip starting in Moose)

ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ditar »

ARINC Direct

Return to “General Comments”