Hunters Blundering onto Air Fields

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Hunters Blundering onto Air Fields

Post by leftoftrack »

Who cares, how big was the animal they shot is the bigger question
---------- ADS -----------

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

"ihunterapp.com told two hunters our glider field is crown land. So they shot two deer, drove across a runway - and were subsequently stopped by Fish and Wildlife.

We are the leaseholder. It seems ihunter doesn't check if crown land is under lease, or occupied, or an aerodrome.

If your 'drome is on crown land, don't forget your flak jacket."

Talk about an over dramatic statement. As a hunter I can tell you that if I was shooting a deer on an airfield you would be completely safe unless of course you are doing a very low "low and over" supersonic so I couldn't hear you coming and not see you either. Do you know anything about hunting big game? Bullets are not sprayed all over the place. One or two well aimed shots with full understanding that there is nothing between you and the target, and nothing beyond the target that be hurt by a miss. And yes even gliders make noise (have my glider lic as well).

Not legal, maybe, unsafe, highly unlikely.

Skyhunter,
Pilot, Redneck, Hunter, horse rider, in that order and proud of them all.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

The hunters bear all the responsibility here. Using a 3rd party app and trusting it is dumb. Since a grass strip is obviously cleared, that should have been enough to demonstrate it's occupied land. No signs required. This goes not just for hunters but anyone else who thinks that any open space is public playground. I put signs up at my place and that got rid of about half of the trespassers, the other half are just ignorant idiots or dumb kids.

dogone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dogone »

Once again I will send this caution. You may have a fit about a hunter unknowingly being on your runway and causing no harm. BUT he may have a fit about YOU supposedly flying to close to dwellings or causing noise or some other bullshit. Remember what goes round comes round. Airplanes are quite visible and if you welcome RCMP or TC investigating your behaviour then carry on.

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

It seems like everyone is assuming the aerodrome operator called Fish & Wildlife, yet nowhere does is it said that the aerodrome operator, local pilots, or anyone else even called Fish & Wildlife, merely that they were the ones who stopped them. Perhaps a question for RatherBeFlying to clarify the occurence before everyone gets twisted out of shape...

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Signs are a good idea, but I once had to overshoot at a clearly marked Do-not-go-beyond-this-point-active-runway aerodrome because a local blueberry picker couldn't be bother walking to the blueberry bushes down the runway so she drove her car down and parked it on the runway. Gray car on a gray runway....

Even after I did a low and over (and tried to really roar the engine to get her attention), she was slow to move her car. When I spoke to her afterwards her comment was that she thought I was just overflying the runway for fun - other pilots do that all of the time. My cry of "Of course they do - you can't land on a runway if a car is parked on it!!!" produced nothing but a puzzled kitten look. Maybe a ticket from local RCMP for parking in an illegal spot would get someone's attention....?

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Simple solution. If you are the leaseholder, post no hunting signs.

Return to “General Comments”