Linkedin

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Linkedin

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

I am curious as to your thoughts and opinions about the usefulness of Linkedin. I go back and forth on its overall usefulness; most of the time I feel like we're being led to believe it is an essential industry tool all the while it is just another facebook for people in your professional circle. I'm not in a position to be looking for a job, I am quite content, but I do keep it updated as more of a superstition that in case my luck runs shy, I have my credentials up to date with this online presence.

What are your opinions either for or against? Any positive experiences?

Thanks for the time!
---------- ADS -----------

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Linkedin

Post by JBI »

I found LinkedIn to be far more useful outside of aviation specifically. In other industries, especially with different types of clients, it was a less invasive way to connect and find out some details/experience/education of persons you may be working with/for etc.

As a pilot it's still helpful to an extent, but much less so.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Some industries may use it. If you're the type of person to be on multiple social media platforms then go for it. Too much flagellation for me. I don't believe half the crap on facebook, not going to with LinkedIn. Also annoyed by the name, looks too much like linked LN.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I think it's too much of an invasion of privacy just like faceplant. I deleted my account after a few months.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jd832 »

LinkedIn is very useful at the commercial aviation level for those who hold ICAO ATPL's with transport category type ratings such as Q400's all the way up to A380's. LinkedIn is full of recruiters from all over the world that will contact you via private messages or emails. Some companies even allow you to apply for pilots jobs through your account. If you're a pilot looking for expat jobs, it's a very useful tool even for bush jobs in Africa and the Oceania regions.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I really love how they solicit membership, when a friend who has an account emails you using the email they signed up with - you end up getting emails saying your friend has invited you... Piss off!

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Yep, there's just no way I could sign up to a service that is going to spam everyone in my address book in my name. No matter how useful.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

You'll only ever get emails from linkedin if that person specifically invites you, or if they upload their address book and then chooses to send invites to their contacts. They don't automatically email all your email contacts without your permission (which would be impossible anyway...how are they going to email anyone if they don't have your email contacts?)

https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/ ... ts?lang=en

Linkedin is very useful to be on if you operate a business. Otherwise probably not so much.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I use LinkedIn a lot for networking, and I find it very useful. It is a professional tool for me; not like Facebook where I express my political views, post jokes or photos of cats . . . well, I don't do that anyhow.

And as jd832 says, it is even more useful for people at the ATP level with Boeing or Airbus type ratings. You have Chinese airline recruiters coming at you all the time and I've gotten to the point of ignoring most of these invitations to connect. I am picky on who I want to network with-- I either have to have met them, we share a common background (employer/school/etc) or be at a company or doing something that I am interested in).

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Panama Jack wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:31 am I use LinkedIn a lot for networking, and I find it very useful. It is a professional tool for me; not like Facebook where I express my political views, post jokes or photos of cats . . . well, I don't do that anyhow.

And as jd832 says, it is even more useful for people at the ATP level with Boeing or Airbus type ratings. You have Chinese airline recruiters coming at you all the time and I've gotten to the point of ignoring most of these invitations to connect. I am picky on who I want to network with-- I either have to have met them, we share a common background (employer/school/etc) or be at a company or doing something that I am interested in).
You're not that picky. You accepted my invitation :wink:

Return to “General Comments”