Got my first flying job

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jjc839
Rank 0
Rank 0

Got my first flying job

Post by jjc839 »

210hrs TT, no IFR, no multi. Flying pipeline.

Everyone told me it wasn't possible to get a job with the bare minimums. It is possible!! The thing is, they didn't even have a position posted. I just went to talk to them one day (even before I had my license) and introduce myself, unsolicited, and ask that they keep me in mind if a job comes up. Couple months later, I get a call. He says "I appreciated you coming in awhile back, nobody does that anymore. All I get are phone calls and emails"

So there you have it, a bit of positivity for those of you looking, in what can sometimes seem like a sea of negativity.

I'll spare the name of the employer such that they aren't inundated with resumes.

I'm really looking forward to learning as much as possible, flying low level, and cranking up the PIC time. And getting MIFR in due time of course.
---------- ADS -----------

flyzam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Got my first flying job

Post by flyzam »

Congrats! And good luck with your flying career.

jjc839
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jjc839 »

Thanks!

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Congrats!

I had a similar experience meeting with an operator many years ago. I would pop in, shoot the shit, and help out around the hanger a few times leading up before my application.

Best of luck with your exciting career! Enjoy the ride and stay safe!

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Congrats! Those who work hard, usually are successful. It's awesome that you shared your experience and success with others. I will also add this: At first make lots of (aviation) friends and be humble. You'll have plenty of time to be bitter about this industry :D

Das ist mir wurst...
switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

Good for you! Nice to hear about the good outcome also. And when people tell you how lucky you are, at least think ‘the harder I worked, the luckier I got’ How ‘bout that

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

Good for you! Now stay focused on learning as much as you can, there is lots- even though you're likely flying the same plane you trained in. It's a different world now. I don't mean to be patronizing, I think I'm speaking to my former self there.

I also got my first job with no ratings and near 200 hours. Sky diving. I didn't get my multi until I'd over a 1000 hours. Got the group one Inrat done before I ever started training on a twin. worked really well for me.

I remember the Multi IFR training going extremely well and quick. I saved a lot of money going the route I did. Time have changed though, it would seem. I used to really advocate for getting that commercial and then getting a PIC job.

So what do you want your career to look like?

jjc839
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jjc839 »

Thank you all for the kind words.

Career wise, I've always been interested in utility type flying; bush, surveillance, crop dusting, fire fighting etc.

However, the pilots I know are all moving up in the airlines at an unprecedented rate. I suppose I'll just see what types of opportunities are available a year or two down the road, and pick what suits my lifestyle the best.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

jjc839 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:05 am Thank you all for the kind words.

Career wise, I've always been interested in utility type flying; bush, surveillance, crop dusting, fire fighting etc.

However, the pilots I know are all moving up in the airlines at an unprecedented rate. I suppose I'll just see what types of opportunities are available a year or two down the road, and pick what suits my lifestyle the best.

Do you think we'll have the same opportunities in a year or two from now or will things dry up by all the hiring today?

Thanks

jjc839
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jjc839 »

I have no idea! But I like to stay optimistic and hope that rapid global airline expansion and boomer pilots retiring will keep the jobs coming.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Good luck out there!!

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

Rowdy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:49 am Good luck out there!!
Luck is self made. I have always believed strongly in the famous quote "Luck is where opportunity meets preparation".

Congrats on your first job. I was in you shoes earlier this year. Keep making your own luck!

Return to “General Comments”