406 in conjunction with Spot

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

406 in conjunction with Spot

Post by geneticistx »

Hi all.
I continue to read these tragic aircraft accidents in the most beautiful and rugged terrain, the BC mountains. Planes go missing for various reasons, mechanical failure or otherwise. The reasons are really not important in order to find someone in a downed aircraft.

The 406 ELT is supposed to be a huge step above the 121.5 technology in assuring SAR.

My question is whether the SPOT tracker would provide more accurate or relevant info to aid SAR than just the ELT. And if so, maybe mountain flyers should be educated more about the SPOT as an additional piece of safety equipment.

I’m just starting my flying passion and have been training in the mountains for my PPL. I always carry a SPOT with me when I’m away from a regularly travelled track. Ensuring the batteries are fresh and power is on for the SPOT is part of my checklist.
---------- ADS -----------

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: 406 in conjunction with Spot

Post by BE20 Driver »

It is my personal belief that SPOT is far superior technology to that of ELT's. An ELT may only go off during an impact event over a certain threshold. SPOT devices are continuously leaving a breadcrumb trail that should in theory assist in finding someone or an aircraft should the worst happen. I would like to see the regulators allow SPOT or other devices like this as an alternate means to installing and certifying general aviation aircraft. TC moves at the speed of government though so I don't see this happening any time soon.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

The recent accident in BC had a 121.5 ELT, and the antenna probably got sheared off by the trees. Apparently 406 ELTs are more likely to be able to transmit a signal without the external antenna, as they use 10x the power of the older ELTs. Still, I've read accident reports of 406 ELTs failing, so a SPOT with 5 min or better tracking is probably the best option.

Also, that Mooney had lap belts. You stand a much better chance of survival with shoulder harnesses.

ScottS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ScottS »

A combination of both is a good idea. I also carry a PLB in addition to the SPOT and 406

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

Something to keep in mind with the SPOT is that the tracking service is not standard - it is an option you have to pay extra for. With just the standard SPOT service a message is only sent when a user pushes a button on the device. The tracking service would be a good idea for aviation, but if a person has just the standard service they need to remember to hit the help button before they go down, in case they are unconscious after the crash.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
StudentPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by StudentPilot »

There is no doubt that satellite tracking (Spot, inReach, SpiderTracks, Blue Sky, etc) is extremely helpful, the shorter the period between position reports the more useful, especially in rugged terrain. At the very least a properly functioning unit will reduce the potential search area to a radius around the last point.

I have used both handheld and fixed satellite tracking installations. I do not see a handheld unit being approved at any point - it is not hard to forget about it and either not charge the device or to forget to turn it on. Fixed installations are better, but the ones I have used have not had a battery, which would also be useful after a crash to (try to) send a final position.

Five minutes between positions is better than nothing, but it can still mean a difficult search in rugged terrain and covers a decent sized area. Having been involved one way or another in a few searches or the aftermath of an accident with planes using satellite tracking, I would set my personal unit to two minutes or less when flying in mountainous terrain. Five minutes/10 miles is simply far too big of an area unless in the prairies or other easily searchable area (ie not densely forested).

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I think the SPOT is far better than ELT in some ways, however it doesn't activate to tell anyone you just crashed! So I would say both. I always include the link to tracking in my flight plan as well.

Actually bought a SPOT this year so family could track our east coast trek. Quite enjoyed being able to go review the data afterwards and review it. Best part was my dad was there waiting for me at the airport when we arrived! He had been following us for 2 days, no phone call needed.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

SPOT (or equivalent) is an excellent idea. Especially here in the mountains. Many times, the direct flight plan - or even the "follow the VFR route" flight plan - has to be modified because of weather. Unfortunately, given the terrain, it is not always possible to alert FSS of the change of plan.

Yes, there are sometimes "holes" in the breadcrumb track left by SPOT; however, I have used it for trips across Canada and back with good results. I have mine on 2 minutes reports and, should I go missing, I should be within a 5-8 miles radius of the last crumb.

They are "a good piece of kit"!

Pavese
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pavese »

Posthumane wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:11 pm Something to keep in mind with the SPOT is that the tracking service is not standard - it is an option you have to pay extra for. With just the standard SPOT service a message is only sent when a user pushes a button on the device
This statement is not correct, the basic service includes tracking. https://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=133

Once you start your SPOT and activate the tracking mode (your normal operating mode) it reports your position periodically with the time period dependent on which option you have signed up for, standard is 5 to 60 minutes, extra cost option is 2.5 minutes.

You can also send an SOS message manually.

In the absence of an ELT message SPOT would narrow the search area to much less than somewhere along the intended flight path, personally I carry one to complement the ELT.

To the comment by another poster, if the antenna of your ELT is sheared off or otherwise put out of service (apparently far too common) the fact that the 406 has a higher transmit power is unlikely to be much use. The coax cable leading to the antenna is inherently shielded to keep RF from entering and corrupting the signal and to keep the RF intended for the antenna from being leaked (transmitted) until it reaches the antenna. It needs the antenna and ground plane of the aircraft to properly transmit the RF to the satellite.

D 8)

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

We had a crash at our airfield where the aircraft ended up upside down with the ELT antenna broken off. The SAR satellite still got the aircraft registration and I think got the position as well.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It’s not all-or-nothing: You might find the LEO satellites receive a weak signal, if the antenna is damaged, while the geostationary ones do not, since they are about 35 times further away.

That’s about 30dB difference, if my maths is right.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Alternatives to SPOT

Post by RatherBeFlying »

There are apps that send your position through your cell phone to a website every minute or so. Friends can monitor your track in real time.

You need a way to keep your phone charged.

Livetrack24 is one example.

http://www.livetrack24.com/services/index#services1

There are others.

You do have to remember to turn the app on in your phone.

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

Pavese wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:46 am
Posthumane wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:11 pm Something to keep in mind with the SPOT is that the tracking service is not standard - it is an option you have to pay extra for. With just the standard SPOT service a message is only sent when a user pushes a button on the device
This statement is not correct, the basic service includes tracking. https://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=133

Once you start your SPOT and activate the tracking mode (your normal operating mode) it reports your position periodically with the time period dependent on which option you have signed up for, standard is 5 to 60 minutes, extra cost option is 2.5 minutes.

You can also send an SOS message manually.

In the absence of an ELT message SPOT would narrow the search area to much less than somewhere along the intended flight path, personally I carry one to complement the ELT.

To the comment by another poster, if the antenna of your ELT is sheared off or otherwise put out of service (apparently far too common) the fact that the 406 has a higher transmit power is unlikely to be much use. The coax cable leading to the antenna is inherently shielded to keep RF from entering and corrupting the signal and to keep the RF intended for the antenna from being leaked (transmitted) until it reaches the antenna. It needs the antenna and ground plane of the aircraft to properly transmit the RF to the satellite.

D 8)
Indeed, you are correct about the SPOT tracking service. This has obviously changed since I signed up with my Gen 1 device. At that time it was 150/year for no tracking service, and an extra 50/year for tracking.

Regarding the antenna - even a broken off antenna still acts as a poor transmitter. An ideal 1/4 wave dipole on 406 MHz would be about 18cm long, but even a short wire antenna that's a couple cm will transmit, just with a weaker signal. See: key fobs operating on 433 MHz.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Alternatives to SPOT

Post by ahramin »

RatherBeFlying wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:47 pm There are apps that send your position through your cell phone to a website every minute or so. Friends can monitor your track in real time.

You need a way to keep your phone charged.

Livetrack24 is one example.

http://www.livetrack24.com/services/index#services1

There are others.

You do have to remember to turn the app on in your phone.
You also need an internet connection.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Posthumane wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:56 pm Regarding the antenna - even a broken off antenna still acts as a poor transmitter. An ideal 1/4 wave dipole on 406 MHz would be about 18cm long, but even a short wire antenna that's a couple cm will transmit, just with a weaker signal. See: key fobs operating on 433 MHz.
The problem is that it's shielded by the aluminum structure of the plane. Handheld GPS generally won't pick up any signal unless it has a clear view through a window.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Alternatives to SPOT

Post by CpnCrunch »

ahramin wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 pm You also need an internet connection.
They don't really use much data though, so you just need the most basic data plan. I use greenalp tracker set to transmit once per minute, and it only uses about 0.25MB/hr.

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

As JasonE said, the Spot and most PLBs wont activate automatically. You'd have to ensure they're on and functioning before the crash in the event you're incapacitated. I had a Spot but the subscription plans have become very silly over the last 2-3 years. When I first activated it, the plan was $100 CAD with their promo. In 2015 it jumped to $150 US. In 2016 they wanted $200 US. They were willing to drop it down to $150 US to keep my business.
If you're the outdoorsy type and can utilize the Spot during other activities, it's easier to justify the yearly fee. For me it didn't make sense. I ended up buying a ACR ResQLink 406 PLB-375. No yearly fees and just have to send it in every 6 years to replace the battery. At $380, that works out to around $65 a year. For that money, I'll probably just buy a new one. Besides, in 6 more years, who knows what type of tracking/locator tech will be available.

Pavese
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pavese »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:00 pm
Posthumane wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:56 pm Regarding the antenna - even a broken off antenna still acts as a poor transmitter. An ideal 1/4 wave dipole on 406 MHz would be about 18cm long, but even a short wire antenna that's a couple cm will transmit, just with a weaker signal. See: key fobs operating on 433 MHz.
The problem is that it's shielded by the aluminum structure of the plane. Handheld GPS generally won't pick up any signal unless it has a clear view through a window.

And an antenna broken off at the base or worse yet, the coax torn out of the BNC? That's why I made the observation of "....unlikely to be much use.....".

I'm not trying to pick on anyone here, this is interesting discussion.

WRT car fobs, the power & range is the point and that's with an intact, purpose Engineered antenna (A track on the printed circuit board). As ahramin & photofly mentioned some signal level can be transmitted and detected, the question is how much and would we would want to depend on that for our safety.

Broken Slinky makes a great observation about the quick pace of electronic tracking technology. While the SAR secretariat is pushing again for mandatory 406 ELT implementation (already obsolescent because of new positioning technology), Canadianized ADSB (Satellite based) is waiting in the wings as the next big thing and before the bureaucracy can get it together on that, tracking suppliers and cell apps will make it obsolete for A/C location reporting.

Let's do the sums, $2 - 3k for a 406 ELT, (installed) then $2-4k for an ADSB capability (Satellite based) that may not be compatible with the rest of our neighbours and what do we as A/C owners have to show for it when the next big thing comes along and makes it obsolete?

Right now I'm inclined to keep my SPOT close by and with fresh batteries thanks.

D 8)

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Pavese wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:40 pm with fresh batteries thanks.
And therein lies the rub. Too easy not to have fresh batteries around, especially those ultra-expensive lithium AAA ones they want you to use at $20/set.

A SPOT system wired to the aircraft power would be nice, and I believe there’s one available, but any kind of certification and we’re talking $2k, minimum, as usual.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

The signal will definitely be degraded with any kind of antenna damage, the question is always how much is too much. Even from a cut coax inside a metal fuselage there is some signal getting out, but I don't know the sensitivity of the satellite receivers. It may not be enough in many cases. A SPOT as a backup is a great way to go, and is the reason I generally fly with one. I say "generally" because sometimes if I'm just going for a local flight or a short flight to a known location over the flat lands, I get lazy and leave the spot in my flight bag. Still useful if I'm conscious after a crash, but it won't activate automatically.

The 406 I had on my plane (because my old 121.5 died) was an ack-04 which is currently listed at $683 CAD at aircraft spruce. The remote on the panel makes it easy to push the manual activation if you know that you're in danger of crashing. Perhaps this isn't emphasized enough in training. An antenna may brake off after a crash and make the system useful, but in the 30 seconds preceding the crash you can activate the ELT and have a signal go out while it's still good. If you end up landing safely, you can always call and cancel the search.

Return to “General Comments”