Night Engine Failure Question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Axial Flow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Axial Flow »

Follow the roads....I did a night cross country when I was 17 from North Bay direct (direct also starts with D like Dumbass) Kingston Ontario. I didn't want to pay the extra following the highway cause I couldn't even afford the trip in the first place. Of course it was overcast and no light to speak of, I was fine till about 50 miles out when there wasn't a light around to be seen. The track took me over the biggest stretch of uninhabited area in all of southern ontario (Algonquin Park !!) It was all good though cause in my infinite wisdom I had a GPS to guide me and an IFR rating....Wait the airplane had 1 vor (u/s) and no ADF and I had about 120 hours TT. Needless to say after sucking the seat up my ass everytime I heard a different engine noise I was never so glad in my life to see a highway and lights. If I was you follow the freakin highway to build time cause night cross country time doesn't mean anything when your dead !
---------- ADS -----------

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

Right Seat Captain wrote:The first step is to take a step back, and look at the planning. Why would you plan a flight with no outs? This is something you should be looking at for the commercial training: ALWAYS have an out.

So how do you change your planning to have an out? Choose a route that would allow you to have a reasonable chance of survival if you have an engine failure or run into bad weather. Engine failure shouldn't be your only concern. In sparsely settled area with no light, it is very easy to fly yourself into something bad that you'll never see until it's too late.

Roads are an excellent option for night. Make sure they are well travelled so that you'll see a car here and there to indicate where the road is. I remember flying from North Bay to Ottawa at night a few times, and I made the mistake of flying over Algonquin Park. It was so dark, if anything happened, I'd wouldn't be here talling you this now. So next time, I followed Highway 17. It may not have been straight, but I would have a better chance at living through the experience.

IMHO, avoid ditching at all costs, especially at night. You will flip and sink in a matter of seconds, and you'll be found full of water at the back of the cabin. Disorientation after ditching is your first problem of many, you won't know which way is out of the airplane. Then you have to get yourself to the surface and swim somewhere you can't even see. You could be swimming farther away from shore.

This is usually the order that I consider landing locations, from best to worst:
1) Runway
2) Field in ideal condition (no ruts, short growth, enough length, eg grassy area)
3) Frozen lake (often not considered)
3) Field in moderate condition (farmer's fields)
4) Roads (preferably with no power lines, and relatively straight. A quiet 4 lane highway would be best)
5) Field in poor condition (ditches, bushes, fences, sloped/slanted)
6) Trees (soft field technique flare on tree tops. They are much more flexible and the trunks, and the fall through branches and you wings will slow your fall tot he ground. You are in a metal cage assuming a cessna or cherokee or something similar)
7) Non-frozen water (land as slow as possible, with very nose high attitude, can lower the risk of cartwheeling)

...... A man who obviously learned to fly without a parachute. :lol:

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

Slightly off topic Buckniner. If you are flying West from Winnipeg and you want to save some money on your training. Shoal Lake and Erickson have cheaper fuel than most places in Western MB. Both have lights and are self serve.

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

mellow_pilot wrote:...It was Sault to Elliot lake....Yea I flew through the valley of the shadow of death that night.
Hehehe. I don't know if I'd consider that the valley of the shadow of death.

sakism
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sakism »

There is no requirement for night solo cross-country in the commercial licence.

All you need is a night rating - that includes 2 hours dual cross country, but one never need leave the circuit solo. You are still single-engine, but two hours cross-country is really not a lot - especially if you make it 2 one hour flights. You don't have to land at another airport - just fly somewhere half an hour away and turn around and come back.

Any night cross-country that is done in addition to that 2 hours is purely optional.

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

Following roads at night is not a bad idea but make certain that you pay close attention to the GASAs and and any new towers NOTAMed on your route. All those big tall towers are always built right along the road so they're easy to get to. They are well lit but you'd be surprised how well tower lights can blend in with the lights of the traffic along a highway!

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

Springbok;

The problem is that if you are looking to build night hours the ones that count are PIC cross-country night (25 req. for the ATPL). Going up and bombing around in a twin with an instructor at night isn't going to get you any closer to that goal.

Most people I know have lots of night time at 1500 hours (or whenever they write the A's), however lots have less than the 25 night PIC XC because most of their night time was done in the right seat.

So - if you're building time for the ATPL, you'll probably have to bite and do it in a single engine...just make sure you manage the risks effectively.

PS: anyone flying single-engine at night over sparsely settled terrain needs to have their head examined IMHO...If you're gonna build night hours in a Cessna, stick to a plan that gives you an out - if I couldn't glide to a suitable landing site, or a lit road, (as a worst case) I personally would think that the risk level was bordering on the unacceptable - especially since you're just building hours...(as everyone has already said).

planedriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Night

Post by planedriver »

I fly in the Arctic where there's three things, little trees, rocks, and lakes. I try and avoid flying at night but for a you guys in knowhere land that need the time for the ATPL, why don't you wait till the lakes freeze. Chances of finding a lake are great, land into wind on the snow.

Medium Pimpin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Medium Pimpin »

Emergency Ceckist - Engine Failure Night
1) Roll Inverted
2) Pull Back on Stick

Germans Love David Hasselhoff
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

First off, you shouldn't be there. As Cat points out. But you are. You dumb Phuque! And you have followed everyone's advice, and have actually pulled off a survivabale night landing in the bush. To do this, you have had the forethought to secure your sholder harness, prior to impact, and of course, donned your full-face Snell approved motorcycle helmet? A bullett proof vest, or something in a tastefull kevlar jacket will also work well here, as would that silly "bear suit" that nut-case was trying to test a few years back. And at the last second, you tucked your face and chest behind the really big firm cushion you carry on the empty passenger seat for just such an occassion? Now what? You, being a proactive kind of guy has told everybody when to expect you? And, you always carry a sat-phone and hand held GPS...right? Wrong?
Get the multi first, and do your night bush crosscountries in a friggen twin!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

quote:

" So - if you're building time for the ATPL, you'll probably have to bite and do it in a single engine...just make sure you manage the risks effectively. "

I'm kind of slow mentally, so please help me out here.

If TC considers single engine night x/country to be to unsafe for commercial passenger flights, why do they have a requrement for x/contry night for the ALTP that puts pilots at risk by flying single engine x/country at night?

TC uses the mantra " safety " in everything they print, why I bet they have special toilet paper with " safety paper " written on it to wipe their asses with in their offices.

So why the double standard?

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

And on the flip side of their ass-wipe. "Inteninally left blank"
It's too late at night to take marks off for spelling!!

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Cat Driver wrote:quote:

" So - if you're building time for the ATPL, you'll probably have to bite and do it in a single engine...just make sure you manage the risks effectively. "

I'm kind of slow mentally, so please help me out here.

If TC considers single engine night x/country to be to unsafe for commercial passenger flights, why do they have a requrement for x/contry night for the ALTP that puts pilots at risk by flying single engine x/country at night?

TC uses the mantra " safety " in everything they print, why I bet they have special toilet paper with " safety paper " written on it to wipe their asses with in their offices.

So why the double standard?

Cat
Okay, this begs the question--

Should there be a night requirement for commercial? Sounds like you believe it is dangerous.

There is no multi requirement on the CPL... no IFR requirement... should there be?

How do we balance safety and give the CPL students this experience?

I don't dispute that single-engine night flying over a sparsely settled area does pose an additional element of risk. How do we limit our exposure to this risk?

Cat (and others that see this as a safety issue):

How do you propose we resolve this? More limiting legislation? Make the CPL Day VFR only? Require night Multi-engine experience in the CPL?

You guys are the industry... How do you want to solve this problem?

-Guy

bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

Cat Driver wrote:quote: If TC considers single engine night x/country to be to unsafe for commercial passenger flights, why do they have a requrement for x/contry night for the ALTP that puts pilots at risk by flying single engine x/country at night?
To my knowledge there is no such requirement. It does not stipulate that it must be conducted in a single-engine.

:smt109
peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by peeelot »

Ask a TC inspector if they can give you an answer about the hour requirement they won't be able to tell you because they don't even know. When it comes to night VFR in a single. Fly the route in the day so you can get an idea of what you would be dealing with in the case of an engine failure. Night VFR is not safe but if you can do things to improve your chances you willhave a better chance if somthing does happen. As they say with a night engine failure turn your landing light on if you don't like what you see turn it off.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

I'm probably an aberration here, but I think night flying is about as dangerous as the PIC makes it.

If the PIC chooses to fly at night in a junk aircraft with minimum fuel over rough terrain without concern for the dewpoint spread, well, sooner or later that decision is going to catch up with him. Painfully.

If the PIC chooses to fly at night in only well-maintained and equipped aircraft with plenty of fuel over flat terrain with a careful eye on the rate of cooling and sources of moisture, well, it's going to be a survivable trip.

Frankly, catastrophic engine failure is NOT the primary source of night accidents - most of the time, it's the result of poor performance of the pilot.

I love to fly at night. It's calm, there's less traffic, and you can see it much easier than you can during the daytime.

There are thousands of pages of CARs and FARs and AIP and AIM that we're supposed to have memorized. Uh huh.

I have a very simple rule when I go flying: I always want to be "one if" away from dying.

For example, single engine at night over cold water or rockies. If the engine dies, so do I. So, you won't catch me there.

2nd example: single engine at night over farm fields. If the engine dies, I trim for minimum airspeed, tighten up the shoulder harness and land.

This is really not rocket science.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Hedley:

I note your comments and have no issue with same, except to point out that many, many builders of night time will not have those options due to the terrain they live in.

Not to mention that the desire to " get " that time will overide caution with many young pilots working toward a license upgrade.

Cat

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Good mornin TC Guy, I will try and give a very short reply to your questions.

Please bear in mind that I just got out of bed and my dog and I are only in the scratching our nuts process part of waking up. :mrgreen: so this will be just a short suggestion.

" I don't dispute that single-engine night flying over a sparsely settled area does pose an additional element of risk. How do we limit our exposure to this risk? "

Night single engine flying done by pilot license candates should be restricted to circuit flying only.

" You guys are the industry... How do you want to solve this problem? "

The very first action that TC should take is to kick the present management in charge of flight training out on their asses, and replace them with someone like you who is willing to bring about change through co-operation with the end user...the pilots and the industry.

I personally would be more than willing to work with you.

Cat

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Cat Driver wrote:The very first action that TC should take is to kick the present management in charge of flight training out on their asses, and replace them with someone like you who is willing to bring about change through co-operation with the end user...the pilots and the industry.

I personally would be more than willing to work with you.

Cat
Regarding your first point:
I am not kicking anyone out on their ass-- I am little cog.

Regarding your second point:
Excellent. Lets do it.

Okay... solo circuits only.

(as has been pointed out) There is only a dual cross-country requirement, no solo. Do we eliminate this? Does it have value?

What other things should we include in the night portion of the training?

I must admit, I haven't done more than a dozen or so night ratings... they happened at night, you see... and I have a family.

-Guy

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

O.K. I'm back from the airport.

So first things first.

" Regarding your first point:
I am not kicking anyone out on their ass-- I am little cog. "

Ha,Ha,... TC Guy, of course I did not mean you should do it, hell if you ever went against the good old boys club in Ottawa you would have a very short career in TC.. :mrgreen:

Now back to the subject of requirements for the issuance of a higher license after the PPL and the night time requirements...

A commercial license and the ATPL should be valid for day VFR only when carrying passengers, unless the holder of such license has an instrument rating.

There that is clear and simple, any holder of an instrument rating should have the necessary skills to fly at night. Which will stop young pilots from venturing out at night on x/countries trying to meet a poorly thought out requirement and thus taking unneccessary risks..in single engine aircraft.

That is a start, so now lets fine tune it, because I am only working around the edges of this issue and offering some suggestions.

Cat

Return to “General Comments”