What kind of watch do you wear?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: What kind of watch do you wear?

Post by Cat Driver »

When I was flying for a living I wore a Breitling limited edition watch.

The cost to me was free because they were one of my sponsors in the air-display business in Europe.

For sure it was a quality time piece.
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

"There's sure is a lot of condescending posts in this thread.. who cares if someone likes to own and wear a nice watch? What's it to you?

Nothing wrong with a casio, gshock, timex etc. I own a few. But I also own nicer watches purely because I feel like it. One could say why buy an Audi or BMW? A 90's Corolla surely gets you from point A to B the same, does it not? I guess when you have 3 ex wives to pay alimony to......

Then again, some of the cheapest people I know are pilots so it makes sense why half of you don't understand why some might want a high end watch or car."

I feel the same way about the audi and BMW drivers. I don't have them either and don't feel the need. Yes, I look down a bit on those that feel the need to showboat expensive shit just for the sake of it. Same way I have I have built in dislike for guys who think gold chains. Its like they all have to prove something. Maybe they don't, maybe they are nice guys, but it is the impression it gives off to me. And yeah, with AC Capt pay on top of military pension I can afford both.

I also get that I put my money into some toys you wouldn't get, and you would probably judge me for. I am ok with that. I like my truck, fishin' boat, ATV, gun rack, and my horse, and I am ok if you think I am a redneck for it. You got a $2000 watch or several of them and drive a beamer I am going to think your snob. You might not be, that will be my first impression. With time we might get to know each other and that might change, but it is going to start there.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Skyhunter wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:46 pm
I feel the same way about the audi and BMW drivers. I don't have them either and don't feel the need. Yes, I look down a bit on those that feel the need to showboat expensive shit just for the sake of it. Same way I have I have built in dislike for guys who think gold chains. Its like they all have to prove something. Maybe they don't, maybe they are nice guys, but it is the impression it gives off to me. And yeah, with AC Capt pay on top of military pension I can afford both.

I also get that I put my money into some toys you wouldn't get, and you would probably judge me for. I am ok with that. I like my truck, fishin' boat, ATV, gun rack, and my horse, and I am ok if you think I am a redneck for it. You got a $2000 watch or several of them and drive a beamer I am going to think your snob. You might not be, that will be my first impression. With time we might get to know each other and that might change, but it is going to start there.
So because someone drives a BMW or an Audi or any high priced cars or likes to wear a nice but expensive watch they are snobs? I for one drive a new Audi not because I'm a snob but because I appreciate the car for its engineering, its quality and fun to drive aspect. I also own a Golf TDi, a Ford F150 that pulls a 20 foot enclosed trailer to the race track so that I can drive my other Audi, a race car... Snob my a$$!

The snob here is you Mr. Air Canada captain with a military pension who can apparently afford other toys but is not a snob in his own mind... With an attitude like that, it is perhaps the reason why a lot of other people in this business think some Air Canada pilots are dip sh!ts.

Last edited by Jet Jockey on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

So because I like a nice watch I can't have an ATV, boat, dirt bike or a slew of guns? Well, I have/had all of those....

I also used to ride horses, race cars and ride motorcycles. I guess I'm just a snob though with my Audi and nice watch.

You know what else I do? I tailor my uniform above and beyond minimums on my own dime so I actually look sharp vs. the dozens of AC captains I see walking around in baggy suits with their tunic unbuttoned If that makes me a snob, I'll happily be a snob.

Last edited by Black_Tusk on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Jet Jockey wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 pm
Skyhunter wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:46 pm

So because someone drives a BMW or an Audi or any high priced cars r likes to wear a nice but expensive watch they are snobs? I for one drive a new Audi not because I'm a snob but because I appreciate the car for its engineering, its quality and fun to drive aspect. I also own a Golf TDi, a Ford F150 that pulls a 20 foot enclosed trailer to the race track so that I can drive my other Audi, a race car... Snob my a$$!

The snob here is you Mr. Air Canada captain with a military pension who can apparently afford other toys but is not a snob in his own mind... With an attitude like that, it is perhaps the reason why a lot of other people in this business think Air Canada pilots are dip sh!ts.
Agreed.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

You know what else I do? I tailor my uniform above and beyond minimums on my own dime so I actually look sharp vs. the dozens of AC captains I see walking around in baggy suits with their tunic unbuttoned If that makes me a snob, I'll happily be a snob.
The above is an indication of self worth and personal pride in their appearance, which will flow into pride in their approach to flying.

letmedrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by letmedrive »

Black_Tusk wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:22 pm So because I like a nice watch I can't have an ATV, boat, dirt bike or a slew of guns? Well, I have/had all of those....

I also used to ride horses, race cars and ride motorcycles. I guess I'm just a snob though with my Audi and nice watch.

No, what you are is a jackass for constantly insinuating that you work for AC, which you do not, and on the side throw in that you drive an Audi/have a nice watch... wait, how much do you make at Jazz? Actually don’t answer that, I don’t need to hear it again.

End rant.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I never said I work for AC, I think I've been pretty open with working at Jazz on this forum. But as long as I wear the same uniform I'll treat it with respect.

Additionally, you don't know me. You have no idea what I did before I was a pilot nor what my current financial standing is. If I want to own and can afford a nice car among other things, that's my prerogative.

😒

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

.....aaaaaand here we go. Welcome to AvCanada, everyone! What a bunch of losers. Imagine feeling like you have to defend your decision to WEAR A WATCH.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
letmedrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by letmedrive »

Black_Tusk wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 pm I never said I work for AC, I think I've been pretty open with working at Jazz on this forum. But as long as I wear the same uniform I'll treat it with respect.

Additionally, you don't know me. You have no idea what I did before I was a pilot nor what my current financial standing is. If I want to own and can afford a nice car among other things, that's my prerogative.

😒
You’ll notice I used the word insinuating. My point was that you enjoy boasting about yourself. I don’t know your financial standing (I could accurately guess based on all that Jazz bragging) or what you did before you were a pilot and I really don’t care. You’re the kind of guy that walks into a bar in your uniform and epaulettes when you were a Navajo FO just to let everyone know you’re a pilot, and then ensures everyone knows by telling them you’re a pilot.

All I’m saying is your “humble brags” aren’t even humble. You sound like an arrogant prick who’s insanely full of himself. My guess? You’re insecure as hell.

PS- A ‘96 A4 and a $150 Citizen watch aren’t considered nice things.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

This thread got interesting. :mrgreen:

unregistered
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by unregistered »

I like Torgoen watches personally.

https://torgoen.com

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Meatservo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:36 pm .....aaaaaand here we go. Welcome to AvCanada, everyone! What a bunch of losers. Imagine feeling like you have to defend your decision to WEAR A WATCH.
Next thing you know you'll have to defend your reasons for buying a house. You know, because renting is just fine, why would anyone spend their hard earned money on a home? What are you trying to show off? ...you snob...

Lol
letmedrive wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:21 pm You’re the kind of guy that walks into a bar in your uniform and epaulettes when you were a Navajo FO just to let everyone know you’re a pilot, and then ensures everyone knows by telling them you’re a pilot.

All I’m saying is your “humble brags” aren’t even humble. You sound like an arrogant prick who’s insanely full of himself. My guess? You’re insecure as hell.
You couldn't be farther from the truth. But I won't hold it against you. Like I said, you don't know me.

Anyways, back to talking about WATCHES.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Skyhunter wrote:I also get that I put my money into some toys you wouldn't get, and you would probably judge me for. I am ok with that. I like my truck, fishin' boat, ATV, gun rack, and my horse, and I am ok if you think I am a redneck for it. You got a $2000 watch or several of them and drive a beamer I am going to think your snob. You might not be, that will be my first impression. With time we might get to know each other and that might change, but it is going to start there.
I think that your rush to judgement is your loss then. I appreciate people that have things and support things that are well made and designed for their purpose.

I like a nice watch or nice car just like I enjoy my Sage fly and spey rods or big Laguna bandsaw... I could go fishing with a K-tel Pocket fisherman and try to resaw walnut with a Ryobi bandsaw, but I wouldn't get the same enjoyment and performance out of it.

Buy once, cry once.

If you're driving a Lamborghini and wearing a rope gold chain, okay douche... But driving a nice, German sedan with a bit of performance while wearing a quality Swiss timepiece... That's completely reasonable if it floats your boat, as long as you didn't go into debt to do it...
Jet Jockey wrote:With an attitude like that, it is perhaps the reason why a lot of other people in this business think Air Canada pilots are dip sh!ts.
While I agree with your denouncing of Skyhunter's ignorance... your assumption that a lot of other people think just like you about 3600 other different and varied people is ignorant, crude, and also, it's your loss.

Fact is a lot of people are dip sh!ts - as is evidenced by this thread. It doesn't matter where they work or what watch they wear or what firearm they shoot or what car they drive.

It's a good thing I have a lot of people in my life that aren't "other people in this business"...

Meatservo has it right...

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

altiplano wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:46 am
Jet Jockey wrote:With an attitude like that, it is perhaps the reason why a lot of other people in this business think Air Canada pilots are dip sh!ts.
While I agree with your denouncing of Skyhunter's ignorance... your assumption that a lot of other people think just like you about 3600 other different and varied people is ignorant, crude, and also, it's your loss.

Fact is a lot of people are dip sh!ts - as is evidenced by this thread. It doesn't matter where they work or what watch they wear or what firearm they shoot or what car they drive.

It's a good thing I have a lot of people in my life that aren't "other people in this business"...

Meatservo has it right...
You are quite correct and I apologize for it. I certainly did not mean all Air Canada pilots are dip sh!ts and will correct my initial statement in the post.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Thanks Jet Jockey... It's true, some people are dip sh!ts and some of those people are AC pilots...

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

Sometimes I feel the need to stir pot. Exaggerate a point of view to the extreme to get a reaction. This one seems well stirred.

letmedrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by letmedrive »

Black_Tusk wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:51 am
You couldn't be farther from the truth. But I won't hold it against you. Like I said, you don't know me.

Anyways, back to talking about WATCHES.
Welllll that’s where you’re wrong. I know you better than you might think haha.

Thanks for getting us back on track though, I wear an Apple Watch. :)

LennyLeonard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LennyLeonard »

Mine:

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.66 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Heliian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:25 am
Zaibatsu wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:33 am Anyone else ever tire after pulling their phone from their pocket for the hundredth time only to have a mind fck when it’s hopped three time zones? No thanks.
Why would you be checking the time so much? I would also be expecting a time zone change as I arrive in a different time zone.
If you don’t have a watch, you are pulling out your phone every time you want to check the time.

Maybe if you’re in the same city every time, knowing the time zone is easy. Do you know exact time zone boundaries everywhere you fly? Do you know where they observe daylight savings time and where they don’t? That’s the whole reason aviation runs on Zulu.

Return to “General Comments”