Why would a scheduled air service be flying VFR in this weather?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Why would a scheduled air service be flying VFR in this weather?

Post by northernpilot2 »

CpnCrunch wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:57 am Regarding 300-1 (from previous posts): 300-1 isn't exactly my idea of safe for a scheduled air service between airports equipped with instrument approaches.
For me personally, I go IFR or I cancel if I know I can't make it in. If I go try the approach and its a 50/50 chance of getting in, then I carry lots of gas and bump off pax/cargo if reqd. I don't see the need to make things difficult for no reason just for pop and chips deliveries with the 300-1 crap. I know there are people who do it, I just hope everyone stays safe. 8)

Also, how many times a year are there days with 300-1 weather? Not alot. Most of the time up north, its cold and clear in the winter. Wait for tomorrow, jeez.. :smt040
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

SCT cloud does not constitute a ceiling.

So 4sm with a 1500' ceiling?

Sounds like VFR weather to me for the departure.

Depending on how well I knew the area, are there mountains? I might revise that and want better, or be comfortable with less... Special VFR out of the zone or whatever...

If you don't like it, don't get on a flight with this company...

I've known a few over the years that I wouldn't let my family get on a flight operated by...

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

altiplano wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:46 am SCT cloud does not constitute a ceiling.

So 4sm with a 1500' ceiling?

Sounds like VFR weather to me for the departure.
I've updated the first post in this thread with all the pertinent info. SCT is fine if you fly around/under/over it. It can also mean that up to half the sky is obscured in an overcast layer (which it was here). So essentially it was OVC007 in the direction they were flying. Sometimes a METAR doesn't give the full picture.

Return to “General Comments”