RAIC application refusal

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Do you think I will receive a RAIC?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:11 pm

YES
56%
NO
24%
I need more information
20%

Total votes: 25

YVR_pushpull12
Rank 1
Rank 1

RAIC application refusal

Post by YVR_pushpull12 »

-
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by YVR_pushpull12 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: RAIC application refusal

Post by ahramin »

I don't think you can try to figure it out from a logical, regulatory, or historical point of view. They're completely out to lunch, completely unaccountable, and all over the map. Recently the transvestites were suddenly a security risk and then six weeks later weren't anymore.

I would suggest you just apply and see how it goes. What do you have to lose?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

What was the charge?

If it's a DUI, probably you'll be OK. If it's anything drug or gang related, forget it- people have been denied RAIC's for having ex-husbands join a gang.

YVR_pushpull12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVR_pushpull12 »

-

Last edited by YVR_pushpull12 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
YVR_pushpull12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVR_pushpull12 »

-

Last edited by YVR_pushpull12 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

There is no regulation specifically requiring a RAIC at any airport in Canada for pilots, what's needed is a document of entitlement of which a RAIC is but one method of compliance. Your pilots license is also a perfectly valid document of entitlement if certain rules are followed, see below.
Marginal note:Pilot’s licence

(2) A pilot’s licence issued under the Canadian Aviation Regulations is a document of entitlement for a restricted area that is used by general aviation, if the holder of the licence also holds a valid medical certificate of a category that is appropriate for that licence and

(a) is acting in the course of their employment; or

(b) requires access to an aircraft that they own or operate.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... ge-18.html

So what a RAIC was invented for was a way to give non pilots a way to access restricted areas and what's happened over time is the airport authorities have told everyone they need to have one including pilots, and it's just been easier for companies and pilots to get a RAIC than fight the system. But being a pilot going to the aircraft you operate you in no way need a RAIC your pilots license and medical is all that's required.

Last edited by Roar on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
YVR_pushpull12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVR_pushpull12 »

-

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Roar wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 am There is no regulation specifically requiring a RAIC at any airport in Canada for pilots, what's needed is a document of entitlement of which a RAIC is but one method of compliance. Your pilots license is also a perfectly valid document of entitlement if certain rules are followed, see below.
Marginal note:Pilot’s licence

(2) A pilot’s licence issued under the Canadian Aviation Regulations is a document of entitlement for a restricted area that is used by general aviation, if the holder of the licence also holds a valid medical certificate of a category that is appropriate for that licence and

(a) is acting in the course of their employment; or

(b) requires access to an aircraft that they own or operate.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... ge-18.html

So what a RAIC was invented for was a way to give non pilots a way to access restricted areas and what's happened over time is the airport authorities have told everyone they need to have one including pilots, and it's just been easier for companies and pilots to get a RAIC than fight the system. But being a pilot going to the aircraft you operate you in no way need a RAIC your pilots license and medical is all that's required.
Excellent post.

If you genuinely are a threat to aviation, you shouldn't have a pilot's license.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

I don't see an entry for "general aviation" in the Interpretation section of the regulation; so the judge would have to look it up in the Oxford Dictionary:
general aviation
NOUN
mass noun
Civil aviation other than large-scale passenger or freight operations.
Practically speaking, I think you'd need a RAIC to preflight an aircraft at an air bridge. Or taxi it to the GA ramp and preflight there.

YVR_pushpull12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVR_pushpull12 »

-

Last edited by YVR_pushpull12 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

YVR_pushpull12 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:15 pm
Its just a shame that with one small mistake means completely blacklisted from being able to work airside. I recently spoke to Transport and they told me I shouldn't have a problem with receiving my RAIC it is just a stressful process. Thank you, everyone, for the comments.
Captain obvious here, but remember all those times as a kid your parents, mentors, teachers and friendly local police tell you that all of your actions have consequences? Well you can chalk this up to that.

Is everyone perfect? No. But most people also choose to avoid making decisions that get them tied up with the law.

This is a perfect example of how one small poor decision (probably even made by a good person) can come back to haunt you.

Great cautionary tale for youngsters that want to be professionals one day.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

My $0.02 is that you will not have a problem, if it is a minor mischief charge. I know people who, in my opinion, have had worse charges, who were able to receive a raic.

YVR_pushpull12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVR_pushpull12 »

-

Last edited by YVR_pushpull12 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
YVR_pushpull12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVR_pushpull12 »

-

Last edited by YVR_pushpull12 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

What if a pilot with a RAIC was proven to have been involved in identity theft of a federal government employee but wasn't charged , if his employer finds out can they lose their RAIC?
Curious?

YVR_pushpull12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVR_pushpull12 »

-

Last edited by YVR_pushpull12 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I was convicted of drunk driving and it never affected my security clearance.

YVR_pushpull12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVR_pushpull12 »

-

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

YVR_pushpull12 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:55 pm
C.W.E. wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:49 pm I was convicted of drunk driving and it never affected my security clearance.
Thank you for adding your input, I understand you made a mistake and I am sure you appreciate being given a second chance to succeed. I hope they see that in my application as well.

Everyone is very helpful and civil on this topic. I appreciate everybody's respect for one another's post. Great group here!
Drunk driving is not a mistake. It is a choice to put your own convenience above the lives of others.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Drunk driving is not a mistake. It is a choice to put your own convenience above the lives of others.
That is true.

It is also true that there are many alcohol addicted people that drive their cars on a regular basis, so drunk driving can also be a byproduct of addiction correct?

Return to “General Comments”