Flight Following (radar surveillance for VFR)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Flight Following (radar surveillance for VFR)

Post by Spinwmts »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:40 pm
Read about a guy busted VFR for violating a TFR. He got off because he got a briefing which specifically was on tape no TFR's on your route. Briefer screwed up. That being said Foreflight ect updates live, so not much excuse these days.
Yeah I got cleared through an RA (specifically the DC SFRA) while on FF, then I was handed off, when I called up the next center I was informed that I was in restricted airspace and to immediately exist the area on heading of 123. I complied and maybe 5 minutes later was called up again to confirm my tail number. I explained to ATC I was on FF and cleared to proceed through the area, the gentlemen told me he would "check the tapes" and I never heard from him again... I was on solo XC so the interaction rattled me...After I landed and relayed the story to my CFI, he suggested I file a NASA report as there was a clear gap in the system since one guy cleared me and the next "busted" me. -Regardless It was a good learning experience.
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

If ANY doubt in the US, file a NASA report. I filed one after leaving a US airport and I misread the departure SID, which I wasn't used to. It was a an interesting SID with an S turn immediately after departure, which I misinterpreted. Did not bust restricted airspace, but it was a clearance violation. NASA is a good system then they can catalog the violations and perhaps do a redesign.

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:05 pm If ANY doubt in the US, file a NASA report. I filed one after leaving a US airport and I misread the departure SID, which I wasn't used to. It was a an interesting SID with an S turn immediately after departure, which I misinterpreted. Did not bust restricted airspace, but it was a clearance violation. NASA is a good system then they can catalog the violations and perhaps do a redesign.
Hi Rookie, That is indeed an interesting SID. Do you remember which one it was, I'd like to check it out!

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Manassas, VA, Departure...think its 34. If SID didn't exist, straight out points one at Dulles -- which I did a moment too long :roll: SID turns one immediate west to the vor, then back north, on the transition that led to my routing.

I'd only done one SID outside a simple one at YKF ever, so moral is....never hurts to check if not sure in busy airspace. Moment departure queried me, I realized what I'd missed --

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1802/05326ARSENAL.PDF

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

NO WAY!!! that's my home town!!! LOL What were you doing there if you don't mind me asking?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Spinwmts wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:59 am NO WAY!!! that's my home town!!! LOL What were you doing there if you don't mind me asking?
Visiting DC. Far cheaper than Dulles

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:49 pm
Spinwmts wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:59 am NO WAY!!! that's my home town!!! LOL What were you doing there if you don't mind me asking?
Visiting DC. Far cheaper than Dulles
I dunno I thought Dulles was pretty cheap for singles. Just need to buy $8 gallons of avgas. They were willing to let me borrow the crew car for the whole day to visit the museums. This was Signature I believe. Can't say 100% because I had to cancel the flight due to weather.

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

Very cool! Hope you enjoyed the DC area. With the exception of the traffic of course.

Spinwmts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spinwmts »

Btw to add to my original post about ATC not always being the most pleasant with VFR folks when requesting flight following. I chatted with my instructor today about this subject and he says that in his exp it seems mostly a Winnipeg centre thing. Perhaps the culture in the Winnipeg centre is not as accommodating for FF then other FICs. Or maybe he just had a few grumpy controllers.

Return to “General Comments”