Avgas

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sunk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Avgas

Post by sunk »

What's going on with the avgas, I was told no avgas due to possible problems with the fuel.
---------- ADS -----------

Air Ops
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Avgas

Post by Air Ops »

Where are you located? I have an e-mail which tells me that there is an "issue" with fuel distributed out of Calgary. No details, just a quarantine on all stocks delivered after 28 December.

flyboy1963
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyboy1963 »

Yes, hard to believe this isn't getting more attention. Here's what 'the supplier' said to our local pump operator....I've seen only local NOTAMS so far.....what the heck? 'Fuel not available til saturday' is hardly a good safety notice!!!!

We received notification from our fuel supplier that there is a Safety/Product Quality issue with any Avgas that was picked up at an Esso Terminal/Tank Farm/supply point from December 28th, 2017 onwards. All product loaded on or after this date is to be quarantined effective immediately until further details and instructions are provided. Vernon purchased a load of this fuel on January. 31, 2018. We are not yet aware how this will affect aircraft, so if you have purchased fuel in Vernon from Jan. 31, 2018 on, we recommend that you do not fly until further information is available.

The 100LLL Avgas station in Vernon has been turned off and will be out of service for an unknown amount of time until more information is provided by the supplier.

We are told by the supplier that this is a National Issue, and that this quarantine has affected many of BC and Alberta airports. Checking NOTAMS Kamloops, Kelowna, Vernon, Abbotsford to name a few are affected. I have emailed the supplier asking for clarification on how this will affect aircraft engines or flight.

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

https://copanational.org/en/2018/02/15/ ... arantined/
Avgas supplies across the country have been quarantined because of an unknown quality control problem with fuels delivered since late December. The quarantine means that many FBOs and airport fuel suppliers have closed their avgas pumps while a solution to the problem is found. FlightFuels spokesman Craig Tanselli told COPA Flight the problem originated with the Edmonton Esso refinery that produces all the avgas for the whole country. He said his company is checking inventories to see if there is any unaffected avgas that they can sell but for the time being there are no avgas sales. Many airports have issued NOTAMs advising they cannot sell avgas. Jet fuel is not affected. COPA is monitoring the situation and will provide updates as they become available.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Be a good time to be selling MOGAS STCs, eh?

ohoh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ohoh »

Communication I received via e-mail
"Imperial has become aware that aviation gasoline picked up by wholesale customers at Strathcona refinery in Edmonton since Dec. 28, 2017 may have a product quality issue.
Please do not use or distribute this product. Our primary concern is that the product quality issue may cause interference with onboard fuel gauge sensors.
Imperial will make arrangements with you regarding future handling of this product, and we will provide more information as it becomes available.
We regret this inconvenience and appreciate your patience and understanding."
A phone call earlier today with a manager in production for Esso reinforced the do not use means grounded until further notice, being proactive for safety.
The same refinery supplies Shell apparently.

love it when it's four wide, love it when it's fast
dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

Is this mainly a problem in Western Canada? I've looked at NOTAMs for several airports in Ontario, Quebec, and New Brunswick, and don't see any fuel issues. The Rockcliffe Flying Club (CYRO) sent out a Facebook post reassuring everyone that their fuel is not quarantined, and it's business as usual.

@CYRO
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

This is a Canada wide issue - all AvGas burners will be grounded due to Esso Edmonton dropping the ball. Esso's Edmonton refinery produces AvGas for all of Canada.

Just because you haven't seen a NOTAM covering your local area doesn't mean you'll be able to get fuel. This is gonna be a real shit show.

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

CYRO Ottawa/Rockcliffe has already checked and confirmed that they're not affected. Perhaps there are different supply chains leading into Eastern Canada, or perhaps the upstream suppliers still have a lot of older stock:

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor ... 2963183587

In the worst case, I guess, I'd be making lots of 25-minute fuel hops from Ottawa down to Ogdensburg NY (KOGS) and keeping the customs people busy at both ends.

I'd also expect busy GA airports like CYKZ or CYHU to have posted NOTAMs by now if they had an issue. Smaller airports might take a while, of course.

Last edited by dpm on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@CYRO
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

It's possible that some airports might get their avgas from the USA.

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

CpnCrunch wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:11 pm It's possible that some airports might get their avgas from the USA.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. The fact that the Edmonton refinery happens to send some Avgas east doesn't mean they supply all or most of it. It would make more sense to distributors to bring it up from OH, PA, NY, VT, ME, etc into Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritimes.

@CYRO
dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

«Jerry Waugh, manager of the fixed-base operation of Capital Airways at Fredericton International Airport in New Brunswick told AOPA he had received a “confirmation email” from his fuel distributor advising him that his current inventory of avgas was safe, but that the distributor had received a “bad batch” of the fuel the previous day, placing future deliveries in question.»

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... s-shortage

@CYRO
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Our gas in the Yukon comes from the US. I can't see this turning into a huge crisis, they'll just have to truck US supply a little farther.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Has to be Trumps fault. Somehow.

who me ?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by who me ? »

National NOTAM file

CYHQ
180001 CYHQ NATIONAL
CYHQ POTENTIAL QUALITY ISSUE OF FUEL 100LL (JET A NOT AFFECTED)
DISTRIBUTED BY IMPERIAL OIL (EXTENT UNKNOWN)
VERIFY LOCALLY FOR AVBL
1802160008 TIL APRX 1802231800

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Interesting little tidbit about the fuel gauge issue. To me this sounds like they had an issue with something in the fuel that would throw off the capacitance and cause erroneous readings with capacitance probe fuel quantity systems. Water and other schmiglees could do it. It's also possible they failed to properly check after blending with who knows what.

But yeah, I could see the Americans having avgas deals now with all the new business.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

The “official” word was that the fuel failed conductivity tests, so yes it could cause issues with capacitance sensors or even be more susseptible to static electricity discharge.

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

Here's how it's playing out at my home airport (CYRO) talking with their local distributor:
We are told that one of the storage tanks is contaminated, and the other is not. This also is only affecting fuel from Esso (Canadian fuel) and should it run out from our current supplier we have contingencies in place to source fuel from another distributor, which sources it’s fuel from the US (non-contaminated fuel)

@CYRO
who me ?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by who me ? »

EC,
Electrical Conductivity readings will go up if there is water in the fuel,
but I suspect that ethanol would do the same thing.

not my words, from another source

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Who's bright idea was it to rely nearly entirely on one supplier??

Return to “General Comments”