Insurance and liability - commercial ops

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Insurance and liability - commercial ops

Post by C.W.E. »

Exactly Bede, this whole situation is substandard from several directions.

I wonder if it is one of those jump plane outfits?
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

It can't be counted towards the 35hr CPL dual, but OP was talking about the 200hr total time, which it would count towards.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

CpnCrunch wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:05 pm It can't be counted towards the 35hr CPL dual, but OP was talking about the 200hr total time, which it would count towards.
True, but I doubt he would just be flying around in the plane for actual training or fun. Sounds like they are doing commercial trips and he just happens to be on board logging time. Maybe I am wrong, the provided information is quite limited.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Legally it's questionable and obviously debatable. If I were the operator, I'd say "go get your CPL, then come talk to me". It simply isn't worth the headache, time and cost. The thread is about insurance and liability, so I'm wondering if the insurance company has a CPL as the minimum standard for a pilot it's willing to insure?

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

The candidate needs to get the 200TT before he can begin training for the job. at 203 TT he is good to go. No revenue work can be done until this point, but there is no law being broken by using an airplane privately that is also ran commercially. Its not "for reward" as long as he is not doing revenue work - thats no different than a guy using an airplane owned by a friend or family member to build time, it happens all the time.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Aren't you the guy who just put up a video of himself flying a 172 from Lillooet to Kamloops for our enjoyment?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

When you start out by trying to end skate around the rules and regulations that to me indicates the company culture is not acceptable and the employee who goes along with that culture is also flawed in their thinking process.

What else will they try and skate around in their operation?

Therefore to some operators cutting corners is more important than following the safety rules it took us so many decades to put in place.
+1

I think the company raising the insurance issue may be just a nice way of telling you to piss off. Sometimes being nice does not get through to the entitled.

You do not have a CPL. i am pretty certain their ops specs require a CPL, and their insurance might require it as well. Way to go trying this kind of stunt with a new employer , and when they nicely tell you no, come on a public website. If I was them and saw this thread, I can tell you what would happen to your job offer.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post

Return to “General Comments”