Hearing Loss and Audiogram

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Moosemeat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hearing Loss and Audiogram

Post by Moosemeat »

Anyone gone through the hassle with Transport over not passing a medical because of hearing loss?? I gather hearing aids and another test with the condition listed on my licence? Any large amount of time getting used up getting this done? Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Hearing Loss and Audiogram

Post by trey kule »

Was this an intial medical, or an upgrade or renewal? If it was an initial, I cannot offer any advice. If it was something that just came up because of your age PM me...I have some information that may help...

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boney »

I got a letter from TC stating that one was required at age 55.

The result can be interesting as to how much loss there is as one gets older. The only thing about this exercise is the amount of junk mail you get from the clinic about hearing aids.

adampenner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by adampenner »

As a hearing aid wearing pilot this topic always gets my attention. I have no restrictions on my cat 1 medical due to my very poor hearing.

Worse case you have to do a practical flight with a Class I or II instructor if your hearing changes a certain amount. You have to demonstrate that you can operate the airplane, radio, intercom, ect with your hearing. It's pretty straight forward for most applicants.

My understanding is that there are a handful of deaf pilots in Canada. Limited to uncontrolled airspace, and vmc conditions.

Adam

Moosemeat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Moosemeat »

It was Cat 1 renewal for commercial. In my 60's and did really good on the last one. He changed offices so I think that's one of the factors. Was a bit noisy in the room, more so than his old office. Had the medical late Friday and couldn't book an audio gram appointment or talk with anyone how long the wait is. May get called this week to go back to work. Bummer

Moosemeat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Moosemeat »

Audiogram done today. The Doc said the results were better than his so he didn't think I'd get a letter from Transport. Medical in my pocket now and they have to find me to take it away!

Return to “General Comments”