Unserviceable Equipment C172

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Unserviceable Equipment C172

Post by photofly »

I can’t get my head around why lights would be required if you have a G1000 but not if you have steam gauges. Same for the 182. And that document doesn’t help.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 pm I can’t get my head around why lights would be required if you have a G1000 but not if you have steam gauges. Same for the 182. And that document doesn’t help.
It's to warn other pilots that the G1000 pilot is probably not looking outside but playing with all the toys in the cockpit :mrgreen:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
torquey401
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by torquey401 »

Something to think about. What sections of a POH are specifically "FAA APPROVED"?

Section 2 (Limitations) and 9 (Supplements)

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Is that correct? Limitations in section 2 of a POH are mandatory, but when it comes to an Approved Flight Manual, such as the newer 172’s including the one under discussion have, I thought the whole manual is approved, hence the name.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Is that correct? Limitations in section 2 of a POH are mandatory, but when it comes to an Approved Flight Manual, such as the newer 172’s including the one under discussion have, I thought the whole manual is approved, hence the name.

torquey401
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by torquey401 »

CESSNA SECTION 2
MODEL 172S NAV III OPERATING LIMITATIONS
INTRODUCTION
Section 2 includes operating limitations, instrument markings, and
basic placards necessary for the safe operation of the airplane, its
engine, standard systems and standard equipment. The limitations
included in this section and in Section 9 have been approved by the
Federal Aviation Administration.
Observance of these operating
limitations is required by Federal Aviation Regulations.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Those limitations are approved. I don’t interpret that as meaning that the FAA hasn’t approved the contents of the rest of the “Approved Flight Manual”, including the equipment list. The notification of which equipment is required doesn’t constitute a limitation.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Another disadvantage of having a G1000 Cessna: since the avionics are tied into the TCDS, your upgrade options are somewhere between 1 and 0. In the steam gauge Cessnas you could install any TSO'd avionics you like, for the next 100 years, with a dozen or so glass panel options if that's your fancy.

If you have the G1000 you had better pin your hopes on the Garmin G1000 NXi being offered as an upgrade by Cessna.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

photofly wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:43 pm Another disadvantage of having a G1000 Cessna: since the avionics are tied into the TCDS, your upgrade options are somewhere between 1 and 0. In the steam gauge Cessnas you could install any TSO'd avionics you like, for the next 100 years, with a dozen or so glass panel options if that's your fancy.

If you have the G1000 you had better pin your hopes on the Garmin G1000 NXi being offered as an upgrade by Cessna.
Slight topic drift: how much would a new 172 cost with a G5 and GFC 500 instead of the G1000 and GFC 700?

Return to “General Comments”