Zulu 3 repairs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Zulu 3 repairs

Post by tps8903 »

Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.

I traded in my Bose headset 8 months ago to give the Zulu 3 a try. Now I'm starting to wonder if I made a poor decision.

Yesterday the right side ANR started crackling like there was a bad solder or wire or something. By the end of the day the right side ANR was cutting in and out. Now the right side ANR is off more than it is on.

I called Lightspeed and the are of course under warranty, but now I have to dish out $100+ for overnight shipping to get them back in time for work next week.

I was kind of hoping being so new in a 7 year warranty period they would have done what Google did for my phone when it died a couple years ago. Ship me a new set on my CC and the refund me when they get my old ones back. Maybe I'm out to lunch, but $1000 for a headset should get you premium service, no?
---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Zulu 3 repairs

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Unfortunately, while they will fix it under warranty, you’re on the hook for shipping it there which kind of annoyed me too when I had to get my PFX repaired. Make sure they mark it as a repair as well on the return, so you don’t end up paying duties on any new parts.

A flawed system, but I guess most of their clientele is American, and shipping stuff within the US is about 1/12th the cost it is up here, so nessicary evil I suppose.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Yup. Both of my Lightspeeds had to be repaired within the first year. Worst part is, they wouldn't even do the software updated and wanted an extra charge PER headset! Last of their products for me....

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

double post

Last edited by jg24 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Had a couple buddies send in their Zulus for repairs as well, had to pay the shipping costs. Darn shame... don't want to start a debate but with Bose, under warranty, shipping costs were covered by them, shipping labels were sent for returns. It's a shame, I'd expect Lightspeed to provide the same level of service.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

jg24 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:32 am Had a couple buddies send in their Zulus for repairs as well, had to pay the shipping costs. Darn shame... don't want to start a debate but with Bose, under warranty, shipping costs were covered by them, shipping labels were sent for returns. It's a shame, I'd expect Lightspeed to provide the same level of service.
Thanks for the comments. That's exactly how I feel about it. I switched to the Lightspeed to try something new, because it has that kevlar cable assembly and because they boast about the best warranty in the industry (7 years). However if I have to return this headset at a cost of approx $100 every time something breaks it could get quite expensive. Especially because I use it 100 hours a month. With that use things are bound to break, I expected a higher level of service for the money.

I might be going back to a Bose Headset.

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

mine crapped out 3 months old had to pay the 100$ shipping to them as well. I explained to them about the duties and how to ship the package to me they didn't listen and I had to pay 120$ duty to get it back. Pretty disappointed with the warranty service they offer.

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

You'd think they'd try to show a higher level of customer service in order to compete as a upper level pilot headset, and considering the cost of the units alone.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

The Zulus are about $200 less than Bose. I think Bose uses that extra for the “free” shipping. Face it, nothing is free.

So with the Zulus, if you have two repairs, you are even with Bose. More than two, the headset is not a bargain and a piece of crap. One or less, you come out ahead.

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

MrWings wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:40 pm The Zulus are about $200 less than Bose. I think Bose uses that extra for the “free” shipping. Face it, nothing is free.

So with the Zulus, if you have two repairs, you are even with Bose. More than two, the headset is not a bargain and a piece of crap. One or less, you come out ahead.
Yup, that's a good way to look at it too.

But compared to the average headset, the price point of Lighspeed still makes me believe that the company should provide zero-cost repairs/replacements if within warranty period. It's probably in the fine print of the warranty that shipping costs are not covered.

Return to “General Comments”