IATRA validity

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

IATRA validity

Post by timeflies »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by timeflies on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: IATRA validity

Post by tps8903 »

I have a BE02 type rating, and I don't believe it does. I think it has to be a two crew plane (by TC standards). And not just two crew by virtue of your COM.

The time does count towards ATPL, you need a letter from your company regarding the COM section stating two crew minimum.

Could be wrong.....but I think that's it.

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Isn't it any type rating?

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

This is a list of the aircraft recognized by Transport Canada as "two crew", hence locking in your IATRA.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... 2-1393.htm

Das ist mir wurst...
jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

So does that mean that even if one has a BE20 TR, they will have to redo their IATRA after 2 years?

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

jg24 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:11 am So does that mean that even if one has a BE20 TR, they will have to redo their IATRA after 2 years?
Yes, I believe so. But the smarter thing to do would be to write your ATPL tests in that period. They are also good for 2 years. One would hope that in that 4 year period you would qualify for your ATPL and upgrade your licence.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

jg24 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:11 am So does that mean that even if one has a BE20 TR, they will have to redo their IATRA after 2 years?
Yes. You must have a type rating on an aircraft that is officially recognized as a (min) TWO crew.

This is different than counting F/O time on a King Air, even though it's certified as a single pilot aircraft. That's why, when you submit your log book to TC, they also need a letter from your chief pilot stipulating that the company is required, trains and operates their King Airs with two pilots.

Das ist mir wurst...
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

...pretty sure the Beechjet isn't 2 turboprops.

Always thought the BE02 was a 2 crew bird for all intents and purposes. Any PPC I've ever done on it has been a 2 crew PPC.

I know it's apparently SP operable. Never seen it flown like that.

S.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Really? No ferry flights or test flights single crew? I’ve flown King Air single pilot for those purposes.

Even the 1900 is a single pilot machine.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I believe that to "freeze" your IATRA, you have to have a PPC on an aircraft with an MTOW in excess of 12,500 lbs.
I do not think a PPC/type rating on a Beech 200 will freeze your IATRA but a PPC/type rating on a Beech 300/350 will.
Now that information is from the regulations in force a few years ago so maybe things have changed since then. Check with TC for the latest and check to see if more than 10 seats excluding crew will also freeze the IATRA.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Aeros
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Aeros »

Here's what the CARs say:

421.40 (3) (a) (i) - Blanket and Individual Type Ratings - Individual Type Rating Requirements - Aeroplane - Two Crew - Private Pilot Licence - Aeroplane or Commercial Pilot Licecnce - Aeroplane
in the case of the holder of a Private Pilot Licence-Aeroplane or Commercial Pilot Licence-Aeroplane, within the 24 months preceding the application for the first endorsement of the two crew rating, an applicant shall have obtained a minimum score of 70 percent (70%) on the Type Rating-Aeroplane (IATRA) written examination;
That says that you have to have written the IATRA exam within the two years prior to receiving your first two crew rating. Once you have received one two crew rating there is no longer any need for an exam. The key though, is that it has to be a two crew rating and not just a type rating, since high performance aeroplanes also require type ratings.

Looking at Appendix A, it shows that BE02 is a high performance aeroplane. BE02 is not a two crew aeroplane from a certification point of view. As a result, if that is the only type rating that you currently hold, you do not yet hold a two crew type rating. As a result, when you apply for a two crew type rating down the road, it will be your first application for a two crew type rating at that time. When that happens, you will need to show evidence of having passed the IATRA (or both ATPL exams) within the 24 months before that application. The BE02 type rating will not "freeze" the IATRA exams.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Correct me if I am wrong but I do believe if the airplane is configured to carry MORE than 9 passengers, not counting crew, the minimum crew in commercial air carrier operations is 2 pilots. So now any type rating on any airplane certified to Commuter Category (the 19 seat airliner) will freeze the IATRA. Where I am in doubt is with the Metro 2 which was originally certified under USA Part 23, (as a 9 passenger airplane), sFAR 23 Special Provisions (as a 19 seat airliner) but FAR23/sFAR23 is no longer effect so a type rating on a Metro 2 will not freeze the IATRA. A type rating in a Metro 3, under ICAO Annex 8 with a MTOW of 14,500 lbs or 16,000 lbs and 19 seats will freeze.
Again, to be sure, ask TC. They will give you the runaround, (OOPS sorry, the real story).

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

I'm not sure what the confusion is here. The list (that I provided one of my posts above), is quite clear what aircraft is considered 2 crew. It doesn't get any more clear than this. I'll post it again:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... 2-1393.htm

If you have a type rating on one of the (list) mentioned aircraft, your IATRA is locked in.

Done!

Das ist mir wurst...
bbingham
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bbingham »

oldtimer wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:25 am A type rating in a Metro 3, under ICAO Annex 8 with a MTOW of 14,500 lbs or 16,000 lbs and 19 seats will freeze.
With regards to the M3, a PPC on it nowadays will not lock in an IATRA as it's now considered a single pilot aircraft in Canada. I had a discussion with TC about it back in Dec, as I did a PPC on it back when it was two crew but TC was considering my IATRA expired. They had to go back and make sure it was two crew min when I had done the ride to consider mine valid and grant me my new Dash PPC. Big pain in the butt. Just an FYI

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

bbingham wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:02 pm
oldtimer wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:25 am A type rating in a Metro 3, under ICAO Annex 8 with a MTOW of 14,500 lbs or 16,000 lbs and 19 seats will freeze.
With regards to the M3, a PPC on it nowadays will not lock in an IATRA as it's now considered a single pilot aircraft in Canada. I had a discussion with TC about it back in Dec, as I did a PPC on it back when it was two crew but TC was considering my IATRA expired. They had to go back and make sure it was two crew min when I had done the ride to consider mine valid and grant me my new Dash PPC. Big pain in the butt. Just an FYI
The B1900 would also lock the license in at one point in time. That's no longer the case.

Das ist mir wurst...
Saddakoum269
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Saddakoum269 »

Hi guys.
As the Beech 1900D is approved single pilot but has a MTOW above 12,500lbs, do we have to validate our ATPL before being Capt on it or with frozen ATP/IATRA we can still be PIC on commercial operation?

cargocowboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cargocowboy »

Yes, you can fly a 1900 in a commercial operation, as PIC, without an ATPL. As stated above, it's not a 2 crew aircraft so no ATPL required. But, also as stated above, SIC counts with a letter from your CP stating it's operated 2 crew. Confused yet?? :|

Scubes76
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Scubes76 »

cargocowboy wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:08 pm Yes, you can fly a 1900 in a commercial operation, as PIC, without an ATPL. As stated above, it's not a 2 crew aircraft so no ATPL required. But, also as stated above, SIC counts with a letter from your CP stating it's operated 2 crew. Confused yet?? :|
Well this is all clear as mud. Basically, I was flying as an FO on the 1900D up until March 2020 and haven't flown since. I had written my IATRA in late Oct of 2019, so the way I'm reading this, since the 1900D is not recognized as a 2 crew AC that means that my IATRA will expire at the end of this month?

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

That's correct.

Return to “General Comments”