PML reorganization

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

PML reorganization

Post by tps8903 »

PML has been reorganized into the EPCP (Express Pilot Career Portal)

Now AC Express pilots apply directly to AC on a dynamic list that supplies feedback as to improve competitiveness. You can apply anytime you meet the minimum requirements, not just yearly.

Exciting stuff for the folks in the AC family.
---------- ADS -----------

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: PML reorganization

Post by skypirate88 »

Where did you get this information from, and what Express carrier do you fly for?

I have heard discussion about something like this, but nothing concrete.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

So no different than applying off the street. This will be good for express carriers as people weren't applying due to being trapped there by the PML.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

Jimmy2 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:45 pm So no different than applying off the street. This will be good for express carriers as people weren't applying due to being trapped there by the PML.
Not quite, it says in the document that the Express Pilots will still get priority over off the street (i.e. the easier route to mainline). The PML agreement still exists, they seem to just be reorganising the way in which you apply. It cuts the carriers out of the equation in so much as building a list of qualified and interested applicants, and is real time instead of once a year. There is a list of items they prefer, usual suspects such as post-secondary education.

The document was sent internally, dated today. If you work in the AC family you will likely get it soon.

It also says in it's own language that it frowns upon changing between AC providers....puts emphisis on staying for two years at your current company.

gravelpapi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gravelpapi »

I can confirm today that both Jazz and Sky Regional Pilot groups received the document outlined today regarding the new EPCP (Express Pilot Career Portal). In my opinion this route is better. Historically Air Canada has never given candidates any sort of live feedback in regards to their competitiveness of their application. This is a positive thing despite what people may say.

Last edited by gravelpapi on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

It's easy to know if you are competitive simply by the questions they ask in the application.

University Degree or 3 year Aviation College diploma, PIC time over 12500 lbs, French speaking, Any language but English speaking, Race/Sex, Accidents/Incidents, etc.

I like how they make it sound like you are getting access to some secret insider info. There was one PML and it is long over.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

I think the real benefit is the transparency, and controlling your own application process as well as timing to a degree.

gravelpapi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gravelpapi »

tps8903 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:27 pm I think the real benefit is the transparency, and controlling your own application process as well as timing to a degree.
Agreed.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

It’s quite frustrating for the folks who have been in the network for nearly 3 years, have completed the video portion and now have to start all over from scratch.

There seems to be little difference between this and OTS except you have to work at an express carrier for 2 years minimum, most of which will be at extremely low pay for the equipment you are flying. So far anyone hired at AC off PML 2 has been a cookie cutter copy of what an OTS hire brings to the table, and it hasn’t been any faster. AC has the right to hire selectively based on qualifications, but don’t confuse this PMA with a way to fast track an inferior resume. As stated above, there has been only 1 PML, and this ain’t it.

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

PositiveRate27 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:36 pm It’s quite frustrating for the folks who have been in the network for nearly 3 years, have completed the video portion and now have to start all over from scratch.

There seems to be little difference between this and OTS except you have to work at an express carrier for 2 years minimum, most of which will be at extremely low pay for the equipment you are flying. So far anyone hired at AC off PML 2 has been a cookie cutter copy of what an OTS hire brings to the table, and it hasn’t been any faster. AC has the right to hire selectively based on qualifications, but don’t confuse this PMA with a way to fast track an inferior resume. As stated above, there has been only 1 PML, and this ain’t it.
Why do you think you need to start over if the video interview is done?

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Because it says to.

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

PositiveRate27 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:59 pm Because it says to.
You should clearify what that means. I don’t think it sets you back in the process at all. Maybe adds another admin step for you but that’s all.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

gtanorth wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:42 pm
PositiveRate27 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:36 pm It’s quite frustrating for the folks who have been in the network for nearly 3 years, have completed the video portion and now have to start all over from scratch.

It said right in the memo. Pilots who have completed a video interview and have not yet been invited to an in-person interview will need to reapply.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:02 pm [quote=gtanorth post_id=<a href="tel:1031800">1031800</a> time=<a href="tel:1520041347">1520041347</a> user_id=34692]
[quote=PositiveRate27 post_id=<a href="tel:1031799">1031799</a> time=<a href="tel:1520040988">1520040988</a> user_id=39447]
It’s quite frustrating for the folks who have been in the network for nearly 3 years, have completed the video portion and now have to start all over from scratch.

It said right in the memo. Pilots who have completed a video interview and have not yet been invited to an in-person interview will need to reapply.
Ouch! I’m aware of guys that have been waiting over a year with this video interview, hoping for the in person process. And now to find out they’ve been waiting for nothing. Talk about misleading. Sorry if this was you.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Yes it was me, and lots of others. Don’t feel sorry, we’ve helped this game be perpetuated by accepting the position without demanding terms be outlined. In the end I love my job and love my life and am thankful to be providing for my family.

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

PositiveRate27 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:11 pm Yes it was me, and lots of others. Don’t feel sorry, we’ve helped this game be perpetuated by accepting the position without demanding terms be outlined. In the end I love my job and love my life and am thankful to be providing for my family.
It will not cause any delay in the process. Ask for clearification.

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

GATRKGA wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:05 pm
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:02 pm [quote=gtanorth post_id=<a href="tel:1031800">1031800</a> time=<a href="tel:1520041347">1520041347</a> user_id=34692]
[quote=PositiveRate27 post_id=<a href="tel:1031799">1031799</a> time=<a href="tel:1520040988">1520040988</a> user_id=39447]

Ouch! I’m aware of guys that have been waiting over a year with this video interview, hoping for the in person process. And now to find out they’ve been waiting for nothing. Talk about misleading. Sorry if this was you.

If you know guys waiting for over a year then the new structure will tell them why and what they can do to move things along. A year really just means that AC was not that interested in them with their current points.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Positiverate27, take a look at the memo again. There is a line that says this program will allow for quicker processing of candidates from the original video interview.

It isn't very specific, but hopefully that is an indication that guys like me and you won't have to start the process all over again.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Seems like an HR nightmare. What do you tell someone who didn't get hired when they had the same qualifications as their colleague. There's a reason why companies don't tell you why you didn't get the job. It opens a massive can of worms and and even lawsuits.
I'm very curious to see if they will publicly address their diversity hire policies since it can be a controversial topic.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

skypirate88 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:04 pm Positiverate27, take a look at the memo again. There is a line that says this program will allow for quicker processing of candidates from the original video interview.

It isn't very specific, but hopefully that is an indication that guys like me and you won't have to start the process all over again.
I interpret it a little differently. I believe it means the timeline between any candidate’s video interview to completion of the whole process will be streamlined from its previous form, but there will be no preference given to folks who have already done a video. I guess we’ll wait and see.

Return to “General Comments”