ForeFlight...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: ForeFlight...

Post by co-joe »

Thanks for that. Admittedly I have experience on all 3 but am far from an expert. I worked for a company with the Navcan/ Foreflight EFB and I loved it. Weird at first, but great once you get used to it. I never go anywhere without FltPlan Go as a last resort. thanks for pointing that feature out to me. I really had no idea FltPlan Go could do it. Slick piece of software and for free.

I guess the question is; if your company doesn't have FltPlan Go approved by TC or doesn't have the electronic flight bag approved in their COM, aren't you still legally required to carry paper charts?
---------- ADS -----------

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

co-joe wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:29 pm I guess the question is; if your company doesn't have FltPlan Go approved by TC or doesn't have the electronic flight bag approved in their COM, aren't you still legally required to carry paper charts?
NAV Canada marks the PDFs in FltPlan Go not for use in navigation, but they might just be covering their behinds in case of litigation (plus, they're not a regulator). I suspect if you ask three pilots, you'll get four different answers. If you're flying in a commercial op, maybe check with your chief pilot and take her/his word as the final one (?)

@CYRO
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

If your company doesn't have any sort of EFB system, then paper charts are required.
If your company has an EFB, using Foreflight, Flightplan go or anything, then you'll be trained on it and know the answer already.

Having the free version of FlightPlan Go is great. What happens if you are starting the approach to your alternate with 400' ceilings and you find somebody ripped that page out of the CAPs? Well it's on my phone too, so now I can fly the ILS I wanted to instead of the NDB.

FlightPlan Go is a great unapproved backup for use in abnormal/emergency situations only.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There’s actually a protocol for ATC to dictate the plate information to you over the radio, so you could still fly the ILS without that page in the CAP. Even if you don’t have an EFB.

:-)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

goingnowherefast wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:47 am If your company doesn't have any sort of EFB system, then paper charts are required.
If your company has an EFB, using Foreflight, Flightplan go or anything, then you'll be trained on it and know the answer already.
I assume you're referring specifically to commercial flying with a TC-approved operations manual, etc. As far as the CARS themselves go, they're pretty vague:

602.71 The pilot-in-command of an aircraft shall, before commencing a flight, be familiar with the available information that is appropriate to the intended flight.

I understand, from another discussion, that they used to list the specific items you had to have with you.

Cheers, David

@CYRO

Return to “General Comments”