The Coolest Flying Jobs In The World!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

The Coolest Flying Jobs In The World!

Post by flyingjerry »

A compiled list of the coolest flying jobs that are out there and hour requirements. Comment anything that I forgot and I will update the list. Would love to hear any experiences. Currently a 200 hour wonder and looking at short and long term career options other than airlines or corporate jets.
  • Susi Air: Everyone knows this one from the Youtube series "Worst Place In The World To Be a Pilot". Flying turboprops "vfr" through the papua mountains. (200 hours - CPL/Multi)
  • DC3 Ops in Antarctica: Flying a massive taildragger into the most remote place in the world. (~1000 Hours, tailwheel experience, M-IFR)
  • Remote Outpost Float Pilot: Flying legendary planes like the Beaver into air access only cabins and communities. Awesome seasonal job to enjoy the Canadian summer. (200 Hours, CPL + Float Rating - might be dock job first year)
  • Safari Pilot (Bostwana/Namibia/etc): Working for peanuts but spending your days flying over the African wildlife to strips that wouldn't even be legal here. (500 hour legal minimum - CPL M-IFR)
  • Firefighting Ops: (~2000 hours, ATPL, floats rating if flying tankers)
  • Heli-Ski: Flying loads of skiers in an epic mountain environment. Not sure on requirements
  • Ag-flying: Not sure of the requirements but has to be one of the most technical and demanding low flying jobs out there. No autopilot all hands and feet flying ten feet off the ground all the while avoiding trees and power lines. Seasonal gig and some long days but definitely worth it as most operators pay their pilots very well. If I recall correctly I believe Cat Driver said AG flying was the best flying job he had throughout his career. (via u/pipedriver)
  • Emirates Live in Dubai, fly out of Dubai, shop in Dubai, dine in Dubai. Fly real big airplanes for a luxury airline and date exotic young woman from the 4 corners of the World. Fly with tons of Aussies and their laid-back, friendly attitudes "we gonna have a few beers and throw a shrimp on the barbie when we get to the hotel, mate?" Own (or at least finance) a car you could never dream of in Canada and have everyone show you loads of respect as a career pilot. Never shovel snow again - year round clear and sunny skies. No airline union BS to deal with. And you get to LIVE IN DUBAI.(via u/panama jack)
For now that's all I got. Hopefully this list gets massive.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by flyingjerry on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: The Coolest Flying Jobs In The World!

Post by piperdriver »

Great list, but you forgot Ag-flying.
-Not sure of the requirements but has to be one of the most technical and demanding low flying jobs out there. No autopilot all hands and feet flying ten feet off the ground all the while avoiding trees and power lines. Seasonal gig and some long days but definitely worth it as most operators pay their pilots very well. If I recall correctly I believe Cat Driver said AG flying was the best flying job he had throughout his career.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Heli-skiing...one of these years! I don't know which is better in this video: skiing in the scenery, or flying in it?
https://vimeo.com/258866359?ref=fb-share

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Emirates Live in Dubai, fly out of Dubai, shop in Dubai, dine in Dubai. Fly real big airplanes for a luxury airline and date exotic young woman from the 4 corners of the World. Fly with tons of Aussies and their laid-back, friendly attitudes "we gonna have a few beers and throw a shrimp on the barbie when we get to the hotel, mate?" Own (or at least finance) a car you could never dream of in Canada and have everyone show you loads of respect as a career pilot. Never shovel snow again - year round clear and sunny skies. No airline union BS to deal with. And you get to LIVE IN DUBAI. :wink:

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Ahhh, the laid back Austrailanaughts. Oh, I see 😂

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

Definitely forgot Ag flying! That sounds awesome too. Didn't even know about working in Dubai sounds nice as well!

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

pretty sure Emerits (sp?) is flying their pilots 90hrs a month (only counts while at the controls) and you're constantly Jet lagged. that sounds like a shit lifestyle.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Panama Jack wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:03 am Emirates Live in Dubai, fly out of Dubai, shop in Dubai, dine in Dubai. Fly real big airplanes for a luxury airline and date exotic young woman from the 4 corners of the World. Fly with tons of Aussies and their laid-back, friendly attitudes "we gonna have a few beers and throw a shrimp on the barbie when we get to the hotel, mate?" Own (or at least finance) a car you could never dream of in Canada and have everyone show you loads of respect as a career pilot. Never shovel snow again - year round clear and sunny skies. No airline union BS to deal with. And you get to LIVE IN DUBAI. :wink:
Spoke with a 380 CA the other day in customs. He sure paints a different picture of Emirates than you do. I’m aware it’s only 1 opinion but holy moly.

Last edited by atphat on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

atphat wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:54 am
Panama Jack wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:03 am Emirates Live in Dubai, fly out of Dubai, shop in Dubai, dine in Dubai. Fly real big airplanes for a luxury airline and date exotic young woman from the 4 corners of the World. Fly with tons of Aussies and their laid-back, friendly attitudes "we gonna have a few beers and throw a shrimp on the barbie when we get to the hotel, mate?" Own (or at least finance) a car you could never dream of in Canada and have everyone show you loads of respect as a career pilot. Never shovel snow again - year round clear and sunny skies. No airline union BS to deal with. And you get to LIVE IN DUBAI. :wink:
Spoke with a 380 CA the other day in customs. He sure paints a different picture of Emerites than you do. I’m aware it’s only 1 opinion but holy moly.
I sense a bit of sarcasm in his post, anyone who's been there knows the Aussies are known for taking a simple thing and making it into rocket science, not for their laid back attitudes, sunny skies when not covered in dust clouds and 40degree heat etc. Might be a bit tongue in cheek

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Ahhh. Must have missed that. Although the no snow does sound awfully nice.

JetSetter87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JetSetter87 »

Dubai is overrated.

Flying a DHC 6 on floats in the maldives. Layovers 2-3 times a week in 7 star resorts that cost as much as 10k-20k a night. Eat caviar and lobster all paid for....

Min: 500hrs and DHC 6 float time.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

For me it was Ag. flying ....period.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

You forgot about a locally exotic location that so many of us senior avcanadians have spent time in.

It's a four season, 4 star location that has many picturesque views any time of the year. It requires precision flying to get in and out of quick, and if you are fortunate enough to spend a night you will most certainly be accommodated and be the talk of the town.

How could you guy seriously not recommend any northern ontario operator so that he can go see Pikagikum!!!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

How could you guy seriously not recommend any northern ontario operator so that he can go see Pikagikum!!!

And you can take home the gift that keeps giving.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ Sure, but if you listened in your ground school, you'd have learned that a wise man learns from the mistakes of others!

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

tbaylx wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:58 am
atphat wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:54 am
Spoke with a 380 CA the other day in customs. He sure paints a different picture of Emerites than you do. I’m aware it’s only 1 opinion but holy moly.
I sense a bit of sarcasm in his post, anyone who's been there knows the Aussies are known for taking a simple thing and making it into rocket science, not for their laid back attitudes, sunny skies when not covered in dust clouds and 40degree heat etc. Might be a bit tongue in cheek
I commute to/from Dubai regularly.

Don't like anything about the place - but that's my personal opinion.

Everything is artificial - including the people. The primitive/tribal local mentality has to be experienced to be believed.

Walkaround at 47c is not something I would wish on anybody.

Most of the people I know in Dubai are looking to get out.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Best job I ever had? Tuba player in a band, back in Europe! All the girls loved me!

Das ist mir wurst...
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I think Elton John wrote a song about that?
'Hold me closer, Tony Danza,
Tuba player in a band...'

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

thats funny....cause im.drunk 🍻🍻🍻

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

thats funny....cause im.drunk 🍻🍻🍻

Return to “General Comments”