Billy Bishop airport begins advanced ferry passenger screening Monday

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transp ... onday.html

Passengers will be expected to go through a security check before boarding the ferry and may have their belongings swabbed randomly.

By FAKIHA BAIGStaff Reporter
Mon., March 12, 2018
Passengers travelling from Billy Bishop airport may go through random screenings as a part of a new enhanced security procedure kicking off Monday, the airport says.

“As part of security regulations put in place by Transport Canada under the Domestic Ferry Security Regulations, the enhanced screening procedure will randomly check baggage and/or belongs of some passengers for the presence of explosives,” according a news statement on the airport’s website.

“The random screening will be completed by swabbing the exterior of the baggage and/or belongings and analyzing the swab taken with a portable detection device.”

The airport says that passengers should expect to be approached by airport officials to go through a security check before boarding the ferry.

“We appreciate the ongoing support of passengers to continue to make Billy Bishop Airport a safe and efficient transportation facility,” the airport said.

The last time Billy Bishop Airport enhanced their security was in July 2017. Airport officials were authorized to conduct random secondary searches and additional screening of electronics about the size of a cellphone or larger. The passengers were to be “randomly selected” for the additional screening.
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Billy Bishop airport begins advanced ferry passenger screening Monday

Post by Cessna 180 »

I imagine the vast majority of the passengers using YTZ use the tunnel anyways, unless you're parking on the island.

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

The wife of a friend of mine got swabbed at an airport.
She then was then taken and asked to step inside a separate room and made to wait.
After a fairly long wait, two security types sat across the table form her and informed her that she had tested positive for Nitro Glycerin.
She also has an Armenian last name, so I'm sure they thought that they'd caught themselves a terrorist!
She replied "Nitro glycerin?!... You mean heart medication?... I'm a pharmacist!!" :lol: :lol:

Makes me laugh.

Does give you an idea how sensitive the testing equipment can be though.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I filled up a rental car with gas before returning it to the airport rental office. Got flagged because of gasoline residue.

Return to “General Comments”