RIP Stephen Hawking

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

RIP Stephen Hawking

Post by digits_ »

In case you haven't heard yet, Stephen Hawking passed away today, on Pi-day: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008

While he wasn't a pilot (for obvious reasons), I'm sure his discoveries will be used in space travel in the next century. Wondering who the next genius will be.

In times where twitter and reality tv create our biggest "celebrities", we desperately need one in the science department to inspire young minds.

I hope you were wrong Prof. Hawking, and that you are still out there somewhere.

Rest in peace
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
planett
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: RIP Stephen Hawking

Post by planett »

A Brief History of Time was the first book I read in my post University life. It is funny that the one of the most brilliant and notable physicists in history would take the time and effort summarize the universe in "layman 's" terms for all to understand, much like Carl Sagan. I remember Stephen Hawking on the radio in the 80's when he could still use his own voice, translated by a coworker. He will be more missed.

planett
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by planett »

I mean, he will be missed. 🤓

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

All of the news sites are hawking this story.

I still haven't read his book although everyone who has keeps recommending it. Maybe a walk over to the bookstore at lunch would be in order.

goose_68
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by goose_68 »

a Brief History of Time was a great read , even better was his sub-sequent book " A Briefer History of Time " . RIP Professor Hawkings

It's not important where planes are going ... what's important is to get on !
Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

Fittingly, he passed away on Einstein's birthday.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Perhaps also fitting: Born on Galileo's death day.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Who's going to read the ATIS now?

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Zaibatsu wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:47 am Who's going to read the ATIS now?
Not cool, dude

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Sir. There is a special place in hell for you.

Can I sit next to you?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Sure thing! :snakeman: :smt077 :smt096
HiFlyChick wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:10 am
[quote=Zaibatsu post_id=<a href="tel:1033920">1033920</a> time=<a href="tel:1521308879">1521308879</a> user_id=50077]
Who's going to read the ATIS now?
Not cool, dude
[/quote]

If you knew Stephen Hawking at all from reading his books or watching his interviews... you’d know he would have appreciated wit like that even at his own expense. He was not one to be a victim, and not one for dull pleasantries or false platitudes.

RIP Professor.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Oh man. I chuckled! That's funny! Come on, it was not meant as an insult to Stephen Hawking. I bet he'd probably be amused by that comment as well.

I have a feeling we haven't yet realized the positive impact this man's work has on humanity. (Credit must also be given to the many that worked along side him). One day, humanity will look back and say "We have this technology and this technology because of the groundbreaking work by Dr. Hawking.

- Newton, Einstein, Hawking... you get my point.

R.I.P. sir!

Das ist mir wurst...
goose_68
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by goose_68 »

Hawkings was born on January 8 and Galileo died january 8 .... Einstein born March 14 same day Hawkings died MArch 14 ..... International PI day March 14 ... Archimedes ( mathematician who discovered PI ) died 212 BC ( 2 + 12 = 14 )

Coindence ? I like to think not

RIP Prof Hawkings

It's not important where planes are going ... what's important is to get on !
Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

You sober? I like to think not.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

HansDietrich wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:27 am I have a feeling we haven't yet realized the positive impact this man's work has on humanity. (Credit must also be given to the many that worked along side him). One day, humanity will look back and say "We have this technology and this technology because of the groundbreaking work by Dr. Hawking.
Ok, I’ll be the one to call bullshit. Tell us all about the groundbreaking work, and how you think it’s going to impact us all positively, please.

No, I don’t get your point. I do know however that a wheelchair and a speech synthesizer are both fabulous media props.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Double post

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

photofly wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:18 pm
HansDietrich wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:27 am I have a feeling we haven't yet realized the positive impact this man's work has on humanity. (Credit must also be given to the many that worked along side him). One day, humanity will look back and say "We have this technology and this technology because of the groundbreaking work by Dr. Hawking.
Ok, I’ll be the one to call bullshit. Tell us all about the groundbreaking work, and how you think it’s going to impact us all positively, please.

No, I don’t get your point. I do know however that a wheelchair and a speech synthesizer are both fabulous media props.
Ya when the media wasn’t watching he would get up, walk around and talk normally

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

av8ts wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:31 pm

Ya when the media wasn’t watching he would get up, walk around and talk normally
So that's who Ray on Trailer park boys got the faking it in a wheel chair idea from.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Oh come on photofly. You didn’t drag up a 9 month old post to say that, did you? You of all people?

You love wacking off to theoretical bullshyat that doesn’t apply to our daily lives and 99 percent of us couldn’t care less about. Hawking was a man after your own heart.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Too bad being an ignorant retard isn't a fabulous media prop. You'd be a sensation!

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “General Comments”