Experience Vs. Degree: (2)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

As a Chief Pilot hiring a new FO (and later captain), you would choose.....

1. Grizzled, grouchy bush veteran with 2000 + hours hauling the pop and chips up north, high school dropout;
30%
2. Snot nosed but pleasant 500 Hour wonder flight instructor with a degree and a total genius on the latest avionics;
35%
3. Who Cares: Whoever fit best in our corporate culture. (or would work the cheapest)
35%

Total votes: 60

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Experience Vs. Degree: (2)

Post by rookiepilot »

Poll.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Experience Vs. Degree: (2)

Post by photofly »

Seems to me that the snot nosed kid can wipe his nose and gain hours, but the grouchy guy is always going to be grouchy.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Neither.

And only 2000 hours? Doesn't sound like veteran material to me... Still snot nosed at that point.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Where is the option of “Highschool graduate who is a seasoned veteran, has command time, is well liked by his peers, has a pleasant disposition and is up to date on the latest and greatest tech in the industry.”

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

PositiveRate27 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:43 pm Where is the option of “Highschool graduate who is a seasoned veteran, has command time, is well liked by his peers, has a pleasant disposition and is up to date on the latest and greatest tech in the industry.”

Where's the option for this PLUS a degree. Because that's what you're up against.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

From my experience the difference from by gone years to now is(I see it every day), back in the day we had to teach people how to fly instruments, they could handle the aircraft very well. It's the opposite now. All come out of school with a good grasp on instrument flying but we have to teach them how to fly the aeroplane. Automation is catching up and degrading basic skills before they are even mastered.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Are those the only two choices? Neither sounds pleasant to work with!

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I suspect if you actually went and finished your degree, you’d be a lot less insecure about not having one.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:15 pm I suspect if you actually went and finished your degree, you’d be a lot less insecure about not having one.
Clearly not getting it.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm
photofly wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:15 pm I suspect if you actually went and finished your degree, you’d be a lot less insecure about not having one.
Clearly not getting it.
When you're finishing your degree you could take a course on how to construct a proper survey. Because you're clearly not getting it.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm
Clearly not getting it.
Mmmhmmm.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

If we examine the requirements for the issuance of the PPL, CPL and ATPL licenses there is no minimum formal education required.

Which means you only need to be able to read and write to acquire any of these licenses and how successful you become as a pilot depends on you.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Why do people define experience as number of hours? I know sub-2000 hrs guys with a lot more experience than some 10,000 hes guys.

Going for the deck at corner
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Why do people define experience as number of hours? I know sub-2000 hrs guys with a lot more experience than some 10,000 hes guys.
Fro sure and their airplane handling skills are far better.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

If those are my only options (and it’s pretty close to being that, these days), then #3, overwhelmingly.

I’ve seen #1s... usually with a lot more hours. In my experience, they have trouble reading and following SOPs (which you NEED in order to have different pairings without having to reinvent the wheel every time you fly with someone new), trouble training, often don’t understand avionics and flight guidance (which even hand flying you need to have a solid grasp of before you captain), and use age and irrelevant or non current experience to argue their point.

Snot nose is useless. Thinks he knows it all. He’s already captain of a 787 in his mind when he can still barely fly a 172, and is completely off the deep end in a King Air or Metro or 1900 slogging it through ice and doing approach down to mins with a 15 knot quartering tailwind and .35 on the runway... nevermind throwing a failure or emergency in there. Will come up with extremely creative ways to kill you with his incompetence and even more to embarrass you. I know of nobody who was completely dialed in on avionics no matter how much they read about it. Especially FMS and vertical navigation where there are so many different modes and so many gotchas which have resulted in crashes and incidents.

Corporate culture is a guy you can build on. It’s an attitude he has where he knows he has at least the basic requirements and in many cases much more than, but is also willing to learn and be humble. I was that guy. No degree, a few hours (over 2000 flying up north and instructing but not a grumpy old pilot or snot nose by any stretch) a few years in the industry but not in the relevant sector. Decided to be an FO and got a licence to learn yet again.

Even better when they’re cheap. ;)

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Zaibatsu wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:08 pm If those are my only options (and it’s pretty close to being that, these days), then #3, overwhelmingly.

I’ve seen #1s... usually with a lot more hours. In my experience, they have trouble reading and following SOPs (which you NEED in order to have different pairings without having to reinvent the wheel every time you fly with someone new), trouble training, often don’t understand avionics and flight guidance (which even hand flying you need to have a solid grasp of before you captain), and use age and irrelevant or non current experience to argue their point.

Snot nose is useless. Thinks he knows it all. He’s already captain of a 787 in his mind when he can still barely fly a 172, and is completely off the deep end in a King Air or Metro or 1900 slogging it through ice and doing approach down to mins with a 15 knot quartering tailwind and .35 on the runway... nevermind throwing a failure or emergency in there. Will come up with extremely creative ways to kill you with his incompetence and even more to embarrass you. I know of nobody who was completely dialed in on avionics no matter how much they read about it. Especially FMS and vertical navigation where there are so many different modes and so many gotchas which have resulted in crashes and incidents.

Corporate culture is a guy you can build on. It’s an attitude he has where he knows he has at least the basic requirements and in many cases much more than, but is also willing to learn and be humble. I was that guy. No degree, a few hours (over 2000 flying up north and instructing but not a grumpy old pilot or snot nose by any stretch) a few years in the industry but not in the relevant sector. Decided to be an FO and got a licence to learn yet again.

Even better when they’re cheap. ;)
I like this post.

Z in your view, does getting a degree at a typical Canadian institution help create a (3) -- teachable --- or more likely a (2) -- that knows it all?
I find this stuff just surreal. How does learning happen?
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... e36749219/

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

I agree with Zaibatsu except I do not like the reference in the survey for the "working for cheap".

If a company decides on a candidate for a position within their group on a certain type of aircraft, then the company should pay for all the training required including the type rating (without any sort of training bond) and pay that new employee the fair market value (or better) for his position... That's the way it works in our outfit.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Yup, these days you're up against people with degrees and who have experience. It's not one or the other.

Return to “General Comments”