Starting a Pilot career in your 30’s with a family.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Alpha 1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Starting a Pilot career in your 30’s with a family.

Post by Alpha 1 »

I am in my early 30’s and have been dreaming about a career as a pilot since I was young. I would have loved to to begin flight training many years ago although the costs and life in general made it impractical. I am older now and have more resources but I also am married and have young children. I am now feeling the pressure of time and believe that if I am going to do it, the time is now or never.

(My wife has a very good and stable career on which a transfer to another area would have a significant negative impact. We are based in the GTA, 40 minutes north of Toronto. This means I am geographically tied to training and eventually working within the GTA for at least the short to mid term).

I would like to hear you thoughts on whether you believe this is worth the investment at this stage in life and if you believe it is possible to train and work in and around the Greater Toronto Area with the prospect of having a reasonably good career.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Starting a Pilot career in your 30’s with a family.

Post by flyingjerry »

Take this as you will as I am currently 24, also located in the GTa and just got my commercial signed off.

That first job has proven to be extremely hard to find. I have applied to every job posted here as well as sending my resume off to various operators from searching on the TC website. So far, I've got nothing. However a common theme I've noticed is that the jobs are low pay and in remote areas.. in fact I haven't seen one low time job posted in the GTA. Will that work for you? However, if you are okay with additional training, flight instructing in the GTA is definitely a possibility but, it comes with irregular hours and even lower pay... but you get to fly an airplane for money.

Once you instruct for a year or 2 then you should be able to find a 705 job in the GTA but the pay will be low for another few years at least.

At the end of the day picture yourself, 80 years old, sitting on the front porch. Will you regret chasing the dream or think f*** yeah!

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

Sometimes sacrifices have to be made. Lots of those jobs on remote areas have decent rotations, you have to ask yourself if a few weeks away at a time for a couple of weeks home is worth it. Make a few calls to places and find out if they have rotations, then you can make an informed decision on what path to take

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I am 31, married, but no kids yet. Currently drive long haul but am a licensed pilot already ( gave up flying 6 years ago) the industry has turned around though and its getting easier to find that first job so I've started throwing my hat back in the ring at my wife's urging. Like the above said, when you are 80 will you regret not going for it?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Definitely look into something rotational. Two weeks on, two weeks off is pretty common once you go far enough north. For a sense of scale, you should north of 60.

Biggest problem I see is being unwilling to leave the GTA. All the jobs in the GTA either pay garbage, or are senior at Air Canada/WestJet/Jazz. There are corporate jobs, but compared to the airlines, they are few and far between. With your wife's support, can you support your family on $35,000-$50,000/year while living in the GTA? Consider that your pay will remain in that range for 5-10 years, possibly longer.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

There hasn't been a better time to get into aviation! Not in the last half century or so.

Last edited by Boreas on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Who is making less than $50,000 after ten years in the business???

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

It's not the case right now, but I used to work with a captain who started training in 1999 or 2000. He got his licence after 9/11 and couldn't find a job, so he got his instructor rating. It took him another year to get an instructing job, and then he was flying so little and jobs were so hard to come by that it took another four years to get into the right seat of a King Air. Things started to pick up, and then the recession hit; flying slowed right down, and upgrades stopped. By the time he upgraded and got over $50000, it was 2012. Circumstances can make this a brutal industry.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

I'll echo the sentiment that now is the best time to get into the industry in decades. Sure, it might be tough going for the first few years, but all indicators point to a serious need for pilots, so there will be lots of quick movement, and for a very long time. I don't think your age will be a factor. Flew with a few guys who had previous careers and were in their mid to late 30's, one or two in their 40's, and were FO in 76 passenger commuter jets who will most definitely become captain. That still leaves a couple of decades in the business until retirement.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

If you’re going to do it, I suggest making a condensed plan and getting your CPL as fast as you can, while the industry is still hot. Don’t spread your training out, because if things slow down for whatever reason in a couple years, you’ll be in debt and under stress. Also, financially plan to make <$50k/year for up to 5 years. Just my two cents. Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Also the industry could crash tomorrow and their could be layoffs just be mentally prepared. The one problem is Aviation can be effected by many different things from a trump tweet banning Canadian airlines to a housing market crash anything can happen. It is hot today but tomorrow it can come to a grinding halt, people who were told a GS date at AC before 9/11 suddenly had no more job at AC on 9/12.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

fish4life wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:32 pm Also the industry could crash tomorrow and their could be layoffs just be mentally prepared. The one problem is Aviation can be effected by many different things from a trump tweet banning Canadian airlines to a housing market crash anything can happen. It is hot today but tomorrow it can come to a grinding halt, people who were told a GS date at AC before 9/11 suddenly had no more job at AC on 9/12.
This is wise. I am all for chasing a dream, just be prepared for contingencies.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

I did it last year. 35 years old. 4 kids and a wife. Took a $90K/year pay cut for the first year. Wife has a reasonably good paying part time job. Required me to leave Wynne-tario for work, but I still live in civilization where my kids can roam at night without fear. Not the worst thing that ever happened.

If you want to do it, it can be done.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

If this was 10-15 years ago I would have said no way can you start a career in aviation and not leave the GTA. This is a vastly different time. I have never seen the volume or quality of jobs that are available currently.
It still won't be easy getting that first job but I think it's doable. A few questions : what do you do? I'm wondering if any companies could use you will you're getting your licenses (paying your dues before you have your licenses). Some employers like older low time pilots as you're bringing maturity and life experience to the table. You may also have a skill set they require from time to time.
Can it be done? Yes I think so. Just understand your extremely limited your options by staying within GTA. I second the rotational job idea. I used to for kenn Borek doing 2 week rotations, it was awesome. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

If you try to follow a dream of an aviation career in your mid-30s, worst case is that you'll end up broke.

If you try to follow a dream of opening a restaurant in your mid-30s, you'll end up broke, losing your house, losing your kids' RESPs, losing your own RSP, owing the bank $500K, and not talking to the family and friends who wouldn't lend you any more money.

Compared to what some of your peers want to do, aviation sounds like a pretty low risk.

@CYRO
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Probably not the worst idea anymore. Porter seems to be picking up flight instructors these days and you could stay within the GTA.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

The toughest thing is going to be getting your first job. The industry is screaming for people, but not 200 hour wonders anywhere near a major centre. TO is going to be very competitive.

I got my instructor rating in YYC and tried to get a job close to home. Nothing. Waited six months and then went on a road trip banging on doors all the way. Eventually got hired in Northern Alberta and stayed for a few years doing other things to pay off debt. Being young and single made it easy, not sure if I could have done it with commitments.

b787av8r
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by b787av8r »

Having been in the industry for over 46 years and seen all sides....my question is: Did you get married to be with your wife and family or be away 30 days out of the month, jet lagged and take your 10 days off to recover, only to turn around and head back into the wild blue yonder again.

Been there, done that. Its nice to be home with family.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Just got my 1st airline gig at 50, single dad with shared custody of 2 kids (below 10). Anything is possible!!

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

Outlaw58 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:33 am Just got my 1st airline gig at 50, single dad with shared custody of 2 kids (below 10). Anything is possible!!

Nice achievement!
At what age did you start initial training?

Return to “General Comments”