Cheaper to Renew? Or not?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
User avatar
Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1484
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:16 am
Location: On the transition

Cheaper to Renew? Or not?

Post by Flybabe »

Well.. since TC has decided that we now need to buy our own AIM's ( if we so desire ) and the online version of everything is intended to "cut costs"... are the fees to renew medicals going to be slashed as well??

It would seem to me, that part of those fees went to costs incurred for printing supplements to the AIP.

Another case of the government screwing over the citizens, no doubt. They've been collecting those fees for years, we're used to it so no doubt they'll continue collecting them.

Or.. is there a change in the works there, too?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:05 pm
Location: Edmonton

Post by just another pilot »

Flybabe, I would suggest to you and to all others; not to pay the fee if charged.
---------- ADS -----------
 
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4631
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:09 pm

Post by trey kule »

Wow. What a great idea. If everyone, for once would work together and not pay the fees.....
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2695
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: At a Tanker Base near you.
Contact:

Post by Driving Rain »

just another pilot wrote:Flybabe, I would suggest to you and to all others; not to pay the fee if charged.

They'll take it from your income tax refund or tack it on to what you pay. I missed 2 renewal payments and got a letter from Transport informing me that this would be their next course of action. I know of 1 pilot that had the missed fees deducted from his tax refund.
Lets face it they got us by the bag and they ain't letting go. :smt104
---------- ADS -----------
 
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4631
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:09 pm

Post by trey kule »

Ah grasshopper, I mean driving rain, it is nt about whether of not they get the fees, but how much it costs then to get it. They will raise fees, which hopefully will mean more people will not pay, they will get more draconian on collections (sending a guy named Louie four fingers to your house), and then finally giving up.

Make a statement. If you pay you are giving in.

Vietnam was not won in a day.
---------- ADS -----------
 
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4631
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:09 pm

Post by trey kule »

Ah grasshopper, I mean driving rain, it is nt about whether of not they get the fees, but how much it costs then to get it. They will raise fees, which hopefully will mean more people will not pay, they will get more draconian on collections (sending a guy named Louie four fingers to your house), and then finally giving up.

Make a statement. If you pay you are giving in.

Vietnam was not won in a day.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1005
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:46 pm
Location: south saturn delta

Post by Dockjock »

2 yrs and counting, I ain't payin.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2695
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: At a Tanker Base near you.
Contact:

Post by Driving Rain »

elbarto wrote:Ah grasshopper, I mean driving rain, it is nt about whether of not they get the fees, but how much it costs then to get it. They will raise fees, which hopefully will mean more people will not pay, they will get more draconian on collections (sending a guy named Louie four fingers to your house), and then finally giving up.

Make a statement. If you pay you are giving in.

Vietnam was not won in a day.
I see your point. What's stopping transport from then refusing to process your medical? No medical, no licence, no licence, no job, no ticky, no tacky. I require 2 medicals a year because I'm at that tender age where they say I need them. I don't pay the renewal fee myself my employer does, it just I forget to remit the statement and that prompts the letter from transport.
Now when I retire I won't bother renewing my licence, in fact I'll let it lapse completely. I have no desire to fly for a living after that momentous occasion. I do plan on flying privately perhaps in a home built aircraft that'll be kept at some podunk airport or dock far from the beaten path. By the time TC catches me and then tries to relieve me of my money for the crime of piloting without licence, I'll be hundreds of dollars ahead anyway and on top of that I have no plans to pay a fine either. I'd take jail time at Her Majesties pleasure. :D I'm turning into a real mean hardass and liking it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

Driving R :

You said:


" I see your point. What's stopping transport from then refusing to process your medical? No medical, no licence, no licence, no job, no ticky, no tacky. I require 2 medicals a year because I'm at that tender age where they say I need them. "
They cannot refuse to let you earn a living becaues they think you owe them money.

When my Doctor signes my license as medically fit to hold the license I just do not see how they can suspend my license over a fee.

Anyhow if there was some way they could they would have suspended mine years ago, as it is all they can do now is wait until they owe me money on my tax return and deduct it from that.

Lots of luck there, because when I do my tax returns I make sure I am not owed money.

Then I am not working for an employer who deducts from my earnings. So I guess working for Government has some drawbacks, they kind of have their way with you.

Cat
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Hornblower
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:58 am

Post by Hornblower »

Cat Driver wrote:Driving R :

You said:


"
When my Doctor signes my license as medically fit to hold the license I just do not see how they can suspend my license over a fee.

Anyhow if there was some way they could they would have suspended mine years ago, as it is all they can do now is wait until they owe me money on my tax return and deduct it from that.
Cat


Well maybe not for the medical, but I know they can suspend you for things like unpaid child or spousal support payments.

All they need to do is amend the Aeronautics Act or some other onerous set of rules to include suspension for what ever they want.

You have to watch closely to rule changes you may not be aware are coming down the pipe. If not, the first thing you know, is you're sittin in a bad spot of trouble.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Hornblower
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:58 am

Post by Hornblower »

oops, ... double
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2695
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: At a Tanker Base near you.
Contact:

Post by Driving Rain »

Cat Driver wrote:Driving R :

You said:


" I see your point. What's stopping transport from then refusing to process your medical? No medical, no licence, no licence, no job, no ticky, no tacky. I require 2 medicals a year because I'm at that tender age where they say I need them. "
They cannot refuse to let you earn a living becaues they think you owe them money.

When my Doctor signes my license as medically fit to hold the license I just do not see how they can suspend my license over a fee.

Anyhow if there was some way they could they would have suspended mine years ago, as it is all they can do now is wait until they owe me money on my tax return and deduct it from that.

Lots of luck there, because when I do my tax returns I make sure I am not owed money.

Then I am not working for an employer who deducts from my earnings. So I guess working for Government has some drawbacks, they kind of have their way with you.

Cat
Cat you misunderstand me. My employer the Gumitup of OntairEO pays for my medical and the renewal fee, all I have to do is remit the bill, which I fail to do a regular basis until I get the letter jogging my memory.

I'm glad (for you) your taxes work down to Zero, mine don't as yet, so I'm left no choice, but hey, I don't pay for it anyway! My fondest hope is I can be in your position one day. I'm working towards that. :D

True Confessions Time.

This year I showed up for my IFR ride with a signed off medical and my old "signed off" licence from an IFR ride 2 years ago. It states right on the licence it's good for X amount of days after that ride until your new licence arrives. Now technically, I had a licence but I was refused a IFR ride because technically my licence "produced" had expired. Transport Canada had sent me my new licence but I'd misplaced it, stupid I know and a first for my career. :roll: What if they'd (T.C.) decided to withhold it and it's privileges for non payment of handling fees? It's their right because they still hold the cards. Now if you don't require an IFR ride you can get away with it but if in 2 years time you require a ride you could be fuked if they decide to play hard ball. Good luck in court trying to persuade a judge that T.C. is denying you the right to work over a surcharge tax or what ever.

Your medical validation has 4 spaces for the doctor stamp. After they're full you will require a new one. If you only require a medical every 2 years it'll be good for 8 years as a ppl. If you're a Commercial and only require 1 medical per year it'll be good for 4 years. If you are commercial or ATPL over the tender age it's good for 2 years and then you'll need a new one. I guess if someone wants to take it to the Supreme Court of Canada they could argue age discrimination based on their fee structure and licence requirements....good luck. :? Like I said above, if your a working pilot, they have you by the short and curlies. :ANAL:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

There is no doubt that they can do whatever they wish, and we do not really have the option of going to court with them because of the way the act is written.

There was a time when I had some respect for TC, however having seen just how truly degernrate they are at the top and seen how they work my respect has turned to contempt..

..my contempt is directed at the degenerates who really call the shots in TC, the law and regulations are a different matter all together, those are needed in any civilized society.

I use the word degenerate to describe them because it is so fitting ...this is from the dictionary to describe a degenerate.



" Having fallen to an inferior or undesirable state, especially in mental or moral qualities. "

Anyhow Pete, it is nice to be at a stage in my career where I no longer give a sweet f.ck what they do.

Cat
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2695
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: At a Tanker Base near you.
Contact:

Post by Driving Rain »

Cat Driver wrote:
Anyhow Pete, it is nice to be at a stage in my career where I no longer give a sweet f.ck what they do.

Cat
Hallelujah :D I've noticed there's a calm that comes over one when they reach that stage. After working for a Gumitup for the last 25 years I can't wait to break away myself. Only 5 more years :butthead:
PS
I love your idea about using homebuilts to circumvent TC for flight training. If I had money to invest I would. In the mean time you have my admiration for what it's worth.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

Quote:

" I love your idea about using homebuilts to circumvent TC for flight training. If I had money to invest I would. In the mean time you have my admiration for what it's worth. "

When someone with your background and years in aviation makes a statement like that it speaks volumes about how disfunctional Transport Canada Flight Training has become.

The very fact that someone with my background in training pilots is driven to find ways to circumvent the regulator is a very sobering thought.

The truth is I am at the very top of the triaining hierarchy as demonstrated by the pay sacle that I have risen to over the decades. I still am unable to believe that four of TC's top management actually argued with my lawyer that in their opinion I did not meet their requirements to operate a flight school....of course when they were asked to explain why I had owned and operated one for six years in the past they took the position that that was not the issue at hand.

Anyhow, yes Pete I shall circumvent them and do so legally and with the knowlege that all my efforts will go toward turning out skilled products that have been taught what TC FTU's are unable to teach...flying without all the B.S. and interfeerence from TC flight training.

Can't wait to get my airplane finished and get started.

Anyhow don't freeze your block this winter, drink lots of antifreeze to prevent that happening.

..
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”