Gear-Up: Engine shutdown?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Do you shut it down or not?

Shut down / Feather
78%
Keep it running
22%

Total votes: 55

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Gear-Up: Engine shutdown?

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

A few other threads had me thinking, and I wanted to start a discussion. Single engine, multi engine, let’s discuss pistons specifically since a running free-turbine can “technically” be okay if you smack a prop.

Let’s say you’re into a forced landing situation, gear up. You’re going to smack a prop, no matter what. Do you keep the engine running, because it needs to be torn down regardless, and might need a go-around? Or do you shut it down and glide in to minimize damage? There are pros and cons to each, I don’t think there is really a right or wrong answer. But it sparks an interesting discussion.
---------- ADS -----------

PT6A
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Gear-Up: Engine shutdown?

Post by PT6A »

Last edited by PT6A on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I'll second the above post. Once final and gliding to the runway. Idle cut off, feather, shut off fuel. Might not "save" the engine but I'd hazard that the props will now bend/ break clean(ish) vs explode sending shards god knows where (especially in a light twin with them basically beside you)

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Same here, unless there were some extenuating circumstances I would plan on shutting down the engine's to minimise cost of repair.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

C.W.E. wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:25 pm Same here, unless there were some extenuating circumstances I would plan on shutting down the engine's to minimise cost of repair.
Not disagreeing whatsoever, but in another thread there was the mentality that the engines needed to be rebuilt no matter what, and the deductible is the same, so why take away the option of a go-around?

PT6A
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PT6A »

In the aircraft I fly, I don’t think shutting the engines down would make the outcome for the props / engines much better. The power sections and props are toast regardless. I’m more interested in preventing metal from coming into the fuselage and reducing the risk of a fire should something go south.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

It would be interesting to ascertain how many cabins were compromised by prop pieces during the many inadvertent gear up landings there have been. That should give some basis for decisions...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

What does the POH say? Or the QRH/checklist?

The biggest advantage would be if you could combine it with feathered 2 blade props that are put horizontal with the starter. Which is something I would only intentionally do in a very light twin.
If you can't do that, then feathering could potentially put more torque/force on the engine.

The most general procedure I would do, would probably be to wait till touchdown of a main gear (or at flare altitude if the gear is fully up) and shutdown the engines at that point. Minimal risk of fire, no big power driving the props, and control as long as possible.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Schooner69A wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:48 pm It would be interesting to ascertain how many cabins were compromised by prop pieces during the many inadvertent gear up landings there have been. That should give some basis for decisions...
Google “jazz Q400 gear collapse” and it tells me all I need to know, I’m shutting it down.

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-r ... 4w0177.asp

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Leave them running until landing is assured, I thought that was common.

A free turbine will still need a rebuild and will cost more than any piston rebuild.
fish4life wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:42 am
Schooner69A wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:48 pm It would be interesting to ascertain how many cabins were compromised by prop pieces during the many inadvertent gear up landings there have been. That should give some basis for decisions...
Google “jazz Q400 gear collapse” and it tells me all I need to know, I’m shutting it down.

Minor injuries

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Last edited by PositiveRate27 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PT6A
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PT6A »

The metro that went off the runway in Thompson a few months ago had one propeller blade sticking through the cabin door. This wasn’t a gear up issue but with more aircraft having composite blades, I’d rather not having one spinning with power as it makes contact with the ground.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Looking at most gear up landings and seeing a few of them myself (never done one), it’s far less catastrophic than people who’ve seen too many Hollywood portrayals of it.

The difference in energy between a windmilling prop and one at idle is minimal. Most piston aircraft have aluminum propellers. The only light piston retractable aircraft I know of that could shed a blade into the cockpit/cabin is the Aerostar. Most are well forward. A feathered prop that’s going to hit the ground dead on is going to tweak or break the crank flange. To clock it is going to take time meaning the engines have to be shut down much prior, increasing the risk of undershooting if you can’t add power or overshooting if you padded your airspeed too much on what is now a very clean aircraft.

For sure, as soon as you hit, turn everything off. History shows us it’s electrical that will be the most likely source of post crash fire and the most important thing to turn off since we can’t turn off fuel at the source.

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Don't forget that when you shut them down, and pull fire handles, select fuel off etc. you are closing some fuel and hydraulic valves so that should you go off the runway you are doing your best to keep flammables contained. Another reason I would do it.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Heliian wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:40 am Leave them running until landing is assured, I thought that was common.

A free turbine will still need a rebuild and will cost more than any piston rebuild.
fish4life wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:42 am

Minor injuries
Only minor by pure luck, if the person was leaned forward or back it could have killed them

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:31 pm
C.W.E. wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:25 pm Same here, unless there were some extenuating circumstances I would plan on shutting down the engine's to minimise cost of repair.
Not disagreeing whatsoever, but in another thread there was the mentality that the engines needed to be rebuilt no matter what, and the deductible is the same, so why take away the option of a go-around?
A light twin is slow enough you could wait until your over the numbers and shut it down. There’s practically 0 reason you’d need to go around at that point, since everyone knows your coming in with no gear. If the props both stop so the props don’t strike, there’s no reason for a rebuild? Inspection, sure. The idea of keeping engines running incase of a go around sounds like something instructors made up at some point.....

I guess I should write something here.
Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

PositiveRate27 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:10 am Our QRH for the Q400 suggests a shutdown.
The QRH doesn't lead you to that decision. The Gear Indicator Malfunction checklist is pretty short and sweet and is hoping for a good outcome. If you still have one of the landing gear up, or all of them up as the original scenario suggests -- Bombardier issued a Flight Operations Service Letter 17 June 2014 that indicates engines running for an all gear up scenario.

"It is possible to safely land the Dash 8 with all gear retracted. The geometry of the aircraft is such that the propellers should not come in contact with the runway in an all gear up landing if the wings are maintained level throughout the landing."

later stating....

"Unless there is propeller/ground contact during the landing, requiring an immediate engine shut down, feather and secure once the aircraft has some to a stop"

There is a note that prefaces all of this: "Note: The final decision with respect to the use of procedures outside those given in the AFM will remain with the PIC"

Food for thought.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

I see I’m mistaken. :oops: Thank you for that correction.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

I've had lights out and did the drill. I always pull the mixtures back and feather on CS props. At the threshold, right height, right speed.

I don't see the logic of why you would need a rebuild on a gear not down incident, unless you kept the engine(s) operating.

If your engine is shut down, and it has any kind of compression, the prop will stop in the flare, if not before.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

cncpc wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:02 pm I've had lights out and did the drill. I always pull the mixtures back and feather on CS props. At the threshold, right height, right speed.

I don't see the logic of why you would need a rebuild on a gear not down incident, unless you kept the engine(s) operating.

If your engine is shut down, and it has any kind of compression, the prop will stop in the flare, if not before.
If you are concerned about the engine, why would you feather the props?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “General Comments”