Has anyone had cataracts

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Has anyone had cataracts

Post by confusedalot »

Just looking for anyone who might have been through all the hoops of doing the surgery, then regaining TC and/or FAA medicals.

59 years old, eyesight cannot be corrected to any better than 20/40 in one eye, and 20/25 in the other because of the cataracts, which does not meet either FAA or TC standards.

My understanding is that it is a painless and quick outpatient procedure that fixes the problem, no issues on that front, so what I am really curious about are the administrative hurdles that need to be dealt with after surgery, in order to regain the medical.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Has anyone had cataracts

Post by conehead »

I don’t know anything about the regulatory issues involved, suggest talking to a Flight Surgeon. But: I recently underwent the intra-ocular lens replacement in both eyes for cataracts, and am ecstatic with the results. 20/20 vision now.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Double cataract operations. As I was retired from commercial flying at the time, I didn't mention it to TC; I did tell my CAME the next exam and he noted it on my report. My subsequent licence noted than I must have reading glasses with me at all times. (You can't focus on anything)

The procedure itself is a non-event. The eye is deadened and made immobile. You are draped so you can't see anything with the "good" eye. The procedure seems to be over before you have had time to have a nap. Coffee and cookies served after while you sit for a short period in the "recovery room".

You have to have a driver pick you up after. Your eye will feel gritty for a time after - in me, that feeling gone by the next morning. My brother's lasted another day.

They'll give you an eye patch to wear while you sleep. That being so Larry (of the Three Stooges) doesn't stick his finger in your eye.

cmadude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cmadude »

Easy peasy. Wished I did that years ago. Thought wife had a vanilla white car. Holy. White car. Anyways. Simple process simple. Went in and said to eye doctor I’m a commercial pilot. Got in right away on priority list. After did simple exam and doctor made paperwork to transport. On licence says ocular. Maintain cat 1. Now aviation doc doesn’t look into eyes anymore just the usual eye chart work.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

conehead wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:55 am I don’t know anything about the regulatory issues involved, suggest talking to a Flight Surgeon. But: I recently underwent the intra-ocular lens replacement in both eyes for cataracts, and am ecstatic with the results. 20/20 vision now.
I had this done 5 months ago. Huge improvement although I couldn’t quite make the 20/20 line 30 days after the surgery. My eye doctor forwarded the results to TC and they removed the “glasses must be worn”to “glasses must be available”. I am going for my pilot medical in 2 weeks so hopefully I can make the 20/20 line now. I only need my licence for private flying now so wasn’t worried about any waiting period after the surgery. I am not sure what the waiting period is. The second eye was done 2 weeks after the first. It took about an hour and a half for pre op, op, and post op. I had to remove one lens on my glasses after the first eye was done.
AP

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Thanks to all who have responded, much appreciated.

Looks like it will take 6 or 8 months to get everything squared away since it appears that I am not the only one in the general population that needs an ophthalmologist.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “General Comments”