Claiming expenses

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Claiming expenses

Post by Skymark »

Working part time as an Instructor (Class 4, so can't work independent, I'm an employee of the FTU), with a full time job outside of Aviation. FTU does not cover the cost of any expenses of the job (medicals, TC fees, charts, renewals). Can these expenses be claimed against income somehow?
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Claiming expenses

Post by Bede »

Usually yes. Are you paid as a contractor by the FTU (you submit hours, no T4 issued)?

If so, you will claim your gross income on your T1 as professional or business income. Subtract expenses such as medical, car, home office, etc. The net income goes in the "Net" box.

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skymark »

Not a contractor, I'm an employee. I asked to be a contractor, they said no.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I haven't looked at the T222 form in quite some time, but if memory serves me correct you can claim those expenses with that form.

Your employer is required to sign and fill it out so hopefully they can help you out.

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

What scab operator are you working for that doesn't pay these?! Out them. Or go do some IFR training without charts. :rolleyes:

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

In that case, have your employer sign your T2200 form. Because you are an employee make sure that you are well versed what your rights are. For example, your employer can't expect to have you hang out at the airport yet only get paid for flying. You will also be owed vacation pay and possibly overtime.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Skymark wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:58 am ...FTU does not cover the cost of any expenses of the job (medicals, TC fees, charts, renewals). Can these expenses be claimed against income somehow?
What the F? Charts? Seriously, slap whomever wants you to pay for that.

They're cheap enough to not pay for your medical or license, I get it, some don't and you're part time. But charts? What the F!? I have the license to fly and make sure that's covered, the operator damn well have the plane and legally required documents.

It's just like that other young'n who was looking to pay for chart apps to get a job.

NEVER PAY FOR A JOB!!!!! in any industry!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Heliian wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 am

What the F? Charts? Seriously, slap whomever wants you to pay for that.

They're cheap enough to not pay for your medical or license, I get it, some don't and you're part time. But charts? What the F!? I have the license to fly and make sure that's covered, the operator damn well have the plane and legally required documents.

It's just like that other young'n who was looking to pay for chart apps to get a job.

NEVER PAY FOR A JOB!!!!! in any industry!
It is good training if you want to work at Kenn Borek eventually ;-)

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

So if you are a contract flight instructor at a flight school you can claim expenses related to you going to work there? So if I occupy part of my basement as my office where I do all my contract work, I can claim part of my house expenses too? My cell phone bill, gas going and coming to the airport is also an expense? I assume I have to talk to an accountant as well to get all the fine details.

Well, if anyone here has done this and can share what exactly they have claimed and how much of it it would be appreciated.

thanks in advance! :prayer:

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skymark »

marakii wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:02 am So if you are a contract flight instructor at a flight school you can claim expenses related to you going to work there? So if I occupy part of my basement as my office where I do all my contract work, I can claim part of my house expenses too? My cell phone bill, gas going and coming to the airport is also an expense?
Yes. As a contractor you are your own business and can claim any expense to operate that business.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

marakii wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:02 am So if you are a contract flight instructor at a flight school you can claim expenses related to you going to work there? So if I occupy part of my basement as my office where I do all my contract work, I can claim part of my house expenses too? My cell phone bill, gas going and coming to the airport is also an expense? I assume I have to talk to an accountant as well to get all the fine details.
You can claim a portion of your house expenses and cell phone. Driving to work is regarded as personal use so you can't claim that.

All the info can be found online. But if you don't already know any of this, best talk to an accountant.

Return to “General Comments”