Preferred wireless plan

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Preferred wireless plan

Post by pelmet »

Maybe pilots don't need anything particularly different than the average Joe or maybe they do. What plan are you using and what are the benefits. I seem to be paying quite a bit with my Telus voice plan.
---------- ADS -----------

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Preferred wireless plan

Post by flyingjerry »

Weird forum to post this one but a lot of Koodo and Rogers customers are on $60 Unlimited nation wide call+text + 10GB data. See if you can get on this.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I have a Saskatchewan US-Canada plan 10GB. That way when I'm in the US I can just use my plan like normal. A lot of pilots may need something like this.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Ontario.

Telus US-CAN unlimited - 4Gb - 146 bucks.

S.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

If you get an Alberta #, the plans are much cheaper than Ontario.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

$50 Koodo. BYOD. Unlimited voice and text and 1GB of data. I only use wifi to stream/download and it’s more than enough data.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Redwood 50 month, Canada wide talk and text, 6 gigs. No US tho so hangouts on the wifi for video calls and messenger.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

49$ BYOD, 6+2 gigs with Virgin.

Just recently upgraded to 69$ 2 year plan, 6 gig, Samsung S9+, phone costed me 200$ initially.

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

There are no good deals in the canadian market. We've been getting had for decades now.

Literally every other country in the world has better rates and coverage.

Buy an unlocked device and find the cheapest card you can. Then when you travel, buy a local card to use.

Try not to use data in canada, bell just raised the rates to "pay for infrastructure upgrades for faster data" which will in turn gobble up data faster, more revenue for bell and so on forever.

Also, @#$! the crtc

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Captain X »

Fido $60 unlimited Canada, 10 GB plus the roam like home.

The only pita is with most plans either you pay upfront for roaming in the USA as in the North American Plans or pay by the day with the roam like home. You have to figure out how much you are going to be down in the states to see which one is better. They used to be $5/day for us and $10/day in the Caribbean and Mexico but they decided to jack the rates to $6 and $12. Its a shame considering for 50 usd you can get unlimited North American plans from the American carriers.

Vx.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vx. »

We were just having this same conversation in the crew room the other day, some of the guys are on public mobile https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

T-Mobile company plan. The more lines on the plan, the cheaper the price/line. Currently paying $22 USD/month for 2Gb 4G data/month, unlimited slower data after that (good enough for email, texting, Google maps etc). Unlimited calling within Canada/US/Mexico. With wi-fi calling, unlimited calling to Canada/US/Mexico from anywhere in the world. Data works everywhere in the world (only exception I've found so far is Vietnam, for some reason).

How sad is it that it's cheaper to use a US cell provider in Canada than a Canadian provider?

Canada has some of the absolute worst pricing in the world on mobile data, cellular, and internet. Maybe THE worst, can't be bothered to look it up. Same as car insurance, airline tickets, gas taxes, on and on. Don't know how people do it.

Drug cartels have nothing on the robber barons that run the place.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Plans are certainly creeping up again. Fantastic calling plans but gouging data costs. The last good deals were about 5 to 6 years ago and of course Manitoba/Sask plans are still the cheapest. I use a duel sim phone and have both rogers and bell -- combined I have 11 gigs, unlimited canada calling with long distance to the USA and international txting and the only way to have complete coverage in canada for about $96/month rogers $50 - virgin $46 and traveling I always use a "local" sim card - for the UK I have a 3 Mobile sim card that never expires and just top it up when I go. For the USA I did have a sim but not traveling there as much so use roam mobility and never ever sign a contract and always buy and own my phone. The dual sim phone is almost a must in my opinion and again carriers refuse to bring them in. Damn !!!!!! The solution for the carriers to keep contracts is the ridiculous price of new phones. Better options are out there with all frequencies so will work on all carriers and if you want really good hardware go with android and root your phone, now you have complete control of something you own not dictated by "big brother" - that's why I have never owned an apple product.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I get it, it's cool to hack on Apple these days, and I'm sure no fan of many of their tactics or products.

I don't want this to digress into another whole Apple/Android debate (ugh) but I've never found having an iPhone to be any impediment whatsoever to using any sim card or provider worldwide. Dual sim support would be nice but that's a convenience not a necessity. Then again the whole concept of sim cards is outdated - after all there's no technical reason to require a physical card to have multiple numbers.

If one has a hardware preference that's fine, but it's got nothing to do with service pricing - especially if one is using unlocked (ie unsubsidized) phones.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.

Return to “General Comments”