Lightspeed headset

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Lightspeed headset

Post by Skymark »

I'm looking at a new headset, either the Lightspeed Sierra or the Tango. Anyone use either of these and have any comments? I like the idea of wireless, is the Tango worth the extra $?
---------- ADS -----------

blue thunder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Lightspeed headset

Post by blue thunder »

I use the Tango in a helicopter and I'm happy with them. I don't fly all day every day, just casually. I love being unplugged. No side effects, if I have to step out of the chopper quickly with the blades spinning, I have noise suppression there too. I have the Zulus as well. All great products as far as I'm concerned.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I have a Zulu.2 and I'm envious of my coworkers with Zulu.3. I know what my next headset will be. Might be a while though as it going strong.

It really depends on how much you fly. You will usually get what you pay for.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Spend the extra for Bose. Both our Lightspeeds had to be sent it for warranty, and now one needs to be repaired again. You pay the freight across the border. For what I've spent in shipping it twice, I could have bought the Bose A20 which is a nice unit. They also charge $75 for software upgrades under warranty.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
LCflyguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LCflyguy »

Don't buy a light speed.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

I saved a lot of money buying Lightspeed Zulu headset over Bose. It cost me less than the difference in price to get it refurbished.. including shipping.. when it needed its first servicing almost ten years later. Bose is well known to make overrated products in the audio world and aviation headsets are no exception. I've used both.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

I used to love my Bose X, even though I had to send it in twice for repairs and that it hurt my ears after a couple hours wearing it. Finally I bought the Tango because I found the wireless option to be convenient when moving around in the cabin and continue communicating with the pilots. I also use it in my PA28 now and it is far superior. It has been reliable, adaptable, and convenient. The cell phone interface works well and has a radio cancellation feature that mutes the audio if there is radio traffic. I bought a second Tango and I'm working towards a set of four for my plane.

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skymark »

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm leaning towards to the Tango, I like the wireless feature.

I agree that Bose is overrated.

FL290
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL290 »

I'd certainly recommend trying before you buy if you can!

I was down to Bose A20 vs Zulu 3 and settled for the A20s. The Lightspeeds were very nice but the earcups would lift a bit when rotating my head side to side.

The brands do fit a bit different.

PT6A
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PT6A »

I've used the Bose, Zulu 2 and Zulu 3, for me I'd recommend the Zulu products. It seems average sized ears are a snug fit inside the Bose. I find the Zulu 2 or 3 fits better and feels more comfortable on my head. Zulu's seem to have a slight advantage on noise reduction over Bose.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

FL290 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:51 am I'd certainly recommend trying before you buy if you can!

The Lightspeeds were very nice but the earcups would lift a bit when rotating my head side to side.

The brands do fit a bit different.
I agree with this, my Tango does lose the ear seal when I turn my head but only when I'm trying to look over my shoulders. So did my Bose though, so I didn't think to mention it. Just figured it was because of my odd shaped head.

I'd even let you borrow mine for you were local. However, if you were to buy from the Lightspeed website they have a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee, and their price has been the best I've found. Buy it, try it, return it if you don't like it.

PersonPersonson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PersonPersonson »

Bose or lightspeed is the equivalent of airbus or Boeing. Everyone has theit opinion but really if you are paying 13 or 14 hundo on a headset you will end up with an over all great product.... not saying there arent some lemons out there but hey they both have a warranty lol.

"There haven't been many times I've told myself I had too much fuel"
HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

The folks at Lightspeed really stand behind their product. I had a problem with the boom mike not staying in place (i.e. lost its flexibility) - it was way out of warranty (by two years I think), and they fixed it for free, I just had to ship it to them. While it was there they also fixed the cord that I had jammed in the door. Recently, I dropped it and the one side broke right in two. They fixed it and shipped it back for $75 + tax

Return to “General Comments”