Engine fumes in the cabin

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Engine fumes in the cabin

Post by pelmet »

Some people say that this is really bad stuff and has led to illness/sickness of pilots(787 will be great). Has anybody noticed that the Embraer 190 seems to have a fume smell for about a minute after engine start? Don't seem to notice this on other types.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviatio ... O18003.pdf
---------- ADS -----------

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Engine fumes in the cabin

Post by DanWEC »

There are a multitude of articles on this. Personally I'm shocked it doesn't have more exposure.

www.theguardian.com/science/2017/aug/19 ... flyers-ill

Just one of many article online referring "aerotoxic syndrome" which is a bit of a catchall term.
More worrisome is the prevalence of Organophosphate poisoning from burnt engine oil.

It's very quietly being studied as a causal factor in the Germanwings suicide,, since it causes mental issues.
The mere fact that it's being explored as a link is evidence enough that operators and manufacturers KNOW there's a problem, and needs more awareness.

And yes, the Embrear gives a whiff every damn time the engines or the APU starts, but to me it smells more like exhaust than burnt oil.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”