Flight instructor "shortage "

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mbrown0828
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Flight instructor "shortage "

Post by mbrown0828 »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:11 pm The 1500hr rule in the USA has helped create a massive pilot shortage which in turn has raised the bar in a massive way in terms of money and working conditions. Friend of a friend just got hired on at a regional making $80,000 usd to start. I just heard of a corporate job in Minnesota that is paying $220,000usd to start...and there are no qualified applicants!
Sadly, as long as we can put 200hr pilots in the right seat in canada we will never see those benefits because we will not suffer the same shortage.
That's exactly how I see it. They will keep lowering the requirements until it is a pay raise for people to get into the right seat at $38,000 a year.
---------- ADS -----------

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

The cost of flight training has gone way up while wages for the younger people interested in flying have stagnated.

If an FTU paid its instructors competitively, even fewer students would be able to afford it. European airlines hire off the street very selectively and pay for training all the way up from ab initio to right seat.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

Cat Driver said it best: ' being a flight instructor is the highest endeavour a pilot can reach' and he said it because it's the flight instructor that teaches and inspires but unfortunately today they are the worst paid, worst respected and looked upon as the bottom of the pilot scale.

Too bad, didn't we all start to learn with a flight instructor. What a shame that they pay them like crap and treat them like slaves.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Canadian tire shop rate $110.
Mechanic gets paid for being there. 8 hr shift, company’s job to keep him busy.

Canadian FTU. Instructor rate $70. Because more would just be to much for the students planning on $150k a year jobs.
Instructor gets paid Only when billing. No students,,,it is their problem.
8 hour a day.. 40;hour week...in their dreams.
Moving aircraft, washing aircraft, office duties...either free or for about $10 a day base wage.

No need to prostituteyourself for hours. Airlines dont need then anymore.

And people wonder why there is an upcoming shortage.

The big carrot of hours is gone.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maturepilot83 »

Instructing has been by far the most rewarding experience. You learn a lot, and realize you'll never know enough and the learning is always happening. Meeting people from different walks of life makes you a better person in my opinion. Learning how to deal with different personalities in the cockpit is a skill that develops in itself. You deliver a result. That process is not easy. It's hard work but well worth the effort. A lot of students are passionate about aviation...some I've seen held back because they needed a little more patience or a different approach to their learning

There's nothing like taking someone from Point A to B in their training. I have to say I honestly love it.

If you going to consider instructing as a stepping ladder ... please do it well and do what's right for the student.

Return to “General Comments”