Next move?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Next move?

Post by maturepilot83 »

I'm a flight instructor with 1000+ hours now considering the next move soon ready to write the As.

I know places like Porter, Encore are taking 1000 hr guys and gals. Looking for some advice from more experienced guys here - go North (ON?). I'm a little more on the mature side in terms of age and experience. Would like to get on with an outfit where I can continue to get involved on the training side of things down the road as well as I enjoy it..end game is mainline something.
---------- ADS -----------

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Next move?

Post by telex »

Go where hiring to mainline something occurs.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

If your computer is anything like mine, this website has ads for georgian plastered all over the place with the huge promise of a fast track to an airline which eventually pays you huge money and also controls most of the canadian aviation industry.

Becoming an eventually wealthy pilot, not right away of course but eventually, has never been easier. So look at georgian, skyregional, and jazz, not in any particular order. Stating the obvious, they all have that pilot mobility to mapleflot thing going on, and they all are hiring people with 1000 hours. In some cases, even less.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

confusedalot wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:15 pm If your computer is anything like mine, this website has ads for georgian plastered all over the place with the huge promise of a fast track to an airline which eventually pays you huge money and also controls most of the canadian aviation industry.

Becoming an eventually wealthy pilot, not right away of course but eventually, has never been easier. So look at georgian, skyregional, and jazz, not in any particular order. Stating the obvious, they all have that pilot mobility to mapleflot thing going on, and they all are hiring people with 1000 hours. In some cases, even less.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
Good advice here. Except for being hired at sky regional with 1000hrs instructing, that won't happen.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Re:Sky Regional out of the question. I doubt it. If it's a place you might be interested in apply.

Every airline in this country is hiring, many of them are hiring out of flight school into jets.

A Beech or Metro in the North is a great experience, you'll get some multi-turbine command, it will make an airline transition somewhat easier... but as someone who was stuck in 703/704 and was dying to get into a 705 operation with no music playing for years, I'd plan a quick trip through the North, if any, and look to an airline in a hurry if Mainline is your ultimate goal.

Good luck.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

While an AC Express job could be a good move, the far more important questions are where do you want to live, what's your family situation, what's your financial situation, what do you do outside of flying schedule-wise etc. and do you have a degree?

The thing with the AC Express carriers is that they only offer an interview. While I know a few guys who went to Jazz/Georgian that were successful with their interview and got on with AC relatively quickly, I know far more folks who have done an online interview and its now been radio silence. Don't get me wrong, most of them still really enjoy their jobs at the AC Express carrier, but there is frustration. Especially when they see guys from Encore, Porter, Charter etc. still getting hired on at AC.

Just as I've cautioned folks to not go to Encore solely because of the quick flow to WestJet, one shouldn't go to an AC Express carrier just because it offers an interview to AC. But, if an operator's other wages, working conditions, schedule, type of flying etc. all seem like a somewhat good fit, then having an interview at AC is definitely a nice little added value.

While I can't comment on the specifics of each, pretty much all operations that you'd be in line for would provide an opportunity to get involved with training once you have more experience at the company.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Before going to Georgian ask yourself if the company was desirable to work why they need to spam a forum with ads

LongPaws
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LongPaws »

fish4life wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:40 am Before going to Georgian ask yourself if the company was desirable to work why they need to spam a forum with ads
SECURE YOUR INTERVIEW WITH AC! :smt040 :smt040 :smt040

GTFO here with that bull.

Apply to the other express before you consider ggn!

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Encore is your best move. Hands down!

You're set to [eventually] go to mainline WJ. It will be a relatively quick upgrade - for someone like you, you'll just have to wait for the minimum time requirements. While there, you can apply to Big Red and you'll have a pretty good chance at that as well. Keep in mind that they've taken way more Encore guys than GGN pilots...

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

JBI had some good points...

When you look to an airline, look to the airline that works best for your situation.

But sometimes you just have to take the one that calls... Apply to them all... don't discluded Airline A because you think you're chance to AC is better with Airline B, or you perceive some slight advantage there... Airline B may never call.

AC & WestJet will continue hiring in a manner that meets their needs... whether from feeders or others.

Fact is they (AC at least) are hiring out of every airline in this country. More from one than another? Perhaps, but there are lots of factors for each candidate.

Plus it makes sense that there are more hired at times from some carriers because they are larger, or have more applicants to AC, or more are wanting to leave because of lacking wawcon, etc.

The demographic changes as the waves go through.

Roger1989
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Roger1989 »

Who is accepting positions with GGN at this point. The last dozen Groundschools at AC show GGN as the slowest path. And the ads?

Last edited by Roger1989 on Tue May 15, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

They put the Georgian ad as a picture on the site instead of a normal ad. If you use Adblock click on the adblock button top of browser and then block element and then select the ad. You wont see it again. So annoying.

Return to “General Comments”