US CBP Landing Rights

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

US CBP Landing Rights

Post by ahramin »

Filed my eAPIS as usual, looked up the phone number for customs at KBFI on the CBP site and it doesn't work. Search online and find that someone on the Pacific Northwest Flying forum has posted the new number: 206-901-3200. Called the number, and was asked if I filed my eAPIS. Said yes. Was told "You don't need to call us if you have filed your eAPIS! All you need to do is file it and then give us a quick call!". I didn't think the conversation would improve so I said thank you and hung up. Any chance someone here speaks bordergaurdese and could tell me whether or not the mandatory courtesy call to the actual port of arrival is still mandatory?
---------- ADS -----------

Bushed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: US CBP Landing Rights

Post by Bushed »

There is nothing consistent with US customs. They all have different interpretations of the rules. Always call. Some will be polite and some will be jerks but always call. Easier to deal with the jerks on the phone rather than on the ground while they are chewing you out for not calling. Don’t even get me started on South Florida Customs.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I always call. The manifest only submits the data, but the call is where they're going to tell you if theres any issues with you or your passengers. plus it seems at a lot of ports they need to either send someone from another port (land or sea or int'l airport) or they just dont check the manifests until there's a call.

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

Cessna 180 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:14 pm I always call. The manifest only submits the data, but the call is where they're going to tell you if theres any issues with you or your passengers. plus it seems at a lot of ports they need to either send someone from another port (land or sea or int'l airport) or they just dont check the manifests until there's a call.
I concur. But I only call a couple of hours before I leave, with a half decent ETA. But like Cessna 180 said, it depends on the port you are flying into. They don’t care too much about the deeds you filled in online, if there’s something wrong, they usually call you or email you right away after you’ve submitted it.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I landed in south central US one day and asked for a permit to proceed.

The lady looked at me sideways and says "why does everyone always request those, you don't need them", so I politely asked "what do you mean?"

She then goes on a rant about how they only apply to cargo operations, and not passenger operations. I informed her that every other airport, specifically in Florida wants the permit to proceed. She than starts to laugh and says, "next time they hassle you, tell them to call us and we'll set them straight.

I smiled and said will do, full well knowing I wasn't going to change a thing as I have been asked by others for such permits.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Try telling them that Canadian catering isn’t “international garbage” and doesn’t have to be thrown out at the port of entry....that one always goes over well.
There is absolutely no consistency between customs agents.
Bottom line...ALWAYS CALL!

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

matthew.oommen wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:46 pm
Cessna 180 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:14 pm I always call. The manifest only submits the data, but the call is where they're going to tell you if theres any issues with you or your passengers. plus it seems at a lot of ports they need to either send someone from another port (land or sea or int'l airport) or they just dont check the manifests until there's a call.
I concur. But I only call a couple of hours before I leave, with a half decent ETA. But like Cessna 180 said, it depends on the port you are flying into. They don’t care too much about the deeds you filled in online, if there’s something wrong, they usually call you or email you right away after you’ve submitted it.
be careful with that one. theres a lot of airports that are "landing rights" not international airports and depending on the port they want 24 hours notice. Just by luck I happened to call SYR to figure out where they wanted me to go (some are at any FBO some are at their own building) and she said I was lucky I called so early. they had to send a person from the Waterton Airport and its a bit of a drive for them. Could mean being delayed for denied permission.

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

Cessna 180 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:25 am
be careful with that one. theres a lot of airports that are "landing rights" not international airports and depending on the port they want 24 hours notice. Just by luck I happened to call SYR to figure out where they wanted me to go (some are at any FBO some are at their own building) and she said I was lucky I called so early. they had to send a person from the Waterton Airport and its a bit of a drive for them. Could mean being delayed for denied permission.
That’s really interesting, thanks for the info!

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

matthew.oommen wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:53 am

Syracuse is actually a really cool airport to clear customs at. You taxi up to Gate 12 at the terminal. You have your ow jetway and everything hahaha.

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

Cessna 180 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:07 pm
matthew.oommen wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:53 am

Syracuse is actually a really cool airport to clear customs at. You taxi up to Gate 12 at the terminal. You have your ow jetway and everything hahaha.
Ahahah that’s awesome! I do prefer the smaller strips that have their fridges stocked full of snacks for passer by pilots

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

As I understand it, each airport in the US that has customs falls under one of the following categories with a different set of base rules for each

- International Ports of Entry
- Landing Rights Airports
- User Fee Airports

KBFI is an International Port of Entry and if you land during their office hours you do not need advanced notice (except of course eApis). Landing rights and user fee airport require prior permission. Some like KSTP require written (e-mail is OK) permission for most verbal permission is OK.

Nevertheless as discussed above, I still ALWAYS call ahead as each fiefdom^H^H^H^H^H^H airport of entry has it own set of rules, often unwritten, (i.e. stay in the airplane, get out of the airplane etc.) that you don't want to break. I once got lectured for cracking the door open before the officer arrived when it was almost 30deg outside. Also, always get a name or badge number of whomever you speak to. Some of the CBP officers themselves do not know all the unwritten rules that are used by their co-workers :cry:

Ask me about the time I got searched DEPARTING Key West :roll:

Glenn

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

the permit to proceed is a commercial requirement for cargo flights only.

to the above post about permit to proceed, if you are private, a permit to proceed is definitely not needed. However as above poster indicated, there are limited places where for some reason they deem it necessary. When I have been asked for a permit to proceed, I always tell the officer we’re private and don’t require one. I’ve never had pushback on that even in south Florida.

When I used to fly charter, we always obtained a permit to proceed simply because you don’t know what you might run into down the road on the trip.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

I once received a $500 fine ( in the mail) for leaving without a permit to proceed. I did get one, but had left my paperwork in the customs office. This was a passenger charter. Appeal got it reduced to $250.

Return to “General Comments”