YYZ De-icing live props

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

YYZ De-icing live props

Post by pelmet »

Just reading an article on the CDF stating that live props are de-iced, does this mean that aircraft such as the Dash-8 have their props de-iced while the engine is running.
---------- ADS -----------

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: YYZ De-icing live props

Post by 200hr Wonder »

No the props are deuces before hand with mop and bucket or when shutdown. However if your props are good and clean and you just need airframe driving this can be done with engines in feather.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I wonder what this quote means...."Even live propellers can be sprayed, with the glycol applied to the leading edge, although aircraft do need to be shut down for treatment if they have contamination on the prop surfaces".

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Unless they have changed SOP's the only one that can be de-iced "live" are ATR's in hotel mode (can stop the blade with the turbines still going) other than that. Wings including leading edge can be done with props feathered but props required a shut down when I worked there.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I think they mean they can deice a propeller airplane with the props turning. Even the aircraft wing leading edge. In theory to deice the actual props would require engine shutdown. However I find there is more than enough overspray to deice the props when the engines are running. They get coated.

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

I once had to deice a Q-400's prop blades with a gate heat hose.
The blades were covered with a lot of ice. It took close to an hour.
The crew requested permission to be towed to the CDF and were denied.
The crew was concerned that starting the engines, with the blades so badly contaminated, would result in a lot of ice thrown at the airframe or a severe imbalance.
The blade de-ice system only works on the leading edge.
It also only works when there is AC power, which you can't have on a Q until you bring it out of feather.
The operator was also not prepared enough to have prop socks.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Most likely they'd taxi over. Put one in feather and shut the opposite down, spray the one, start it up and leave it in feather and shut the other one down and spray that one.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

According to the article, visitors are always welcome to the "icehouse" and are given a front row view of the action. Has anybody here ever visited the facility?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

We always did hot device. Used BEEFF

Brakes
Engine anti ice
Engine bleeds
Flaps
Feather

They sprayed from The tips in, and transitioned behind wings for spraying tail, waited till given all clear then completed after starts again, would leave bleeds off until 400'(temperature inside depnding)

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Here I thought they strapped a guy to a big wheel, rotated the wheel vertical and spun the wheel at the same RPM as the propeller so he (or she) could spray the propeller blades. Sort of like an ancient Huck starter. Easy work for the strapper but kinda tough on the strappee. :smt040 :smt040 :lol: :lol:

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Return to “General Comments”