Need a little help getting a "lift"

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Kfarr87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Need a little help getting a "lift"

Post by Kfarr87 »

Hi, I could really use some help / advice.
My GF is out in NL for work 9 week contract. I miss her and she extended an open invitation to visit her. The issue is I am broke as heck. (feast or famine industry)

I live in Southern Ontario near YYZ. I was hoping you could provide me with some ideas / advice / help getting there?

Anyone fly there for fun? Any maintenance relocates? C130s headed there? Could I fly deadhead? Empty leg flights? Cargo run?

Any help would be great.

Sorry if this is the wrong board to post on.
---------- ADS -----------

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Need a little help getting a "lift"

Post by FL007 »

Kfarr87 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:09 pm Hi, I could really use some help / advice.
My GF is out in NL for work 9 week contract. I miss her and she extended an open invitation to visit her. The issue is I am broke as heck. (feast or famine industry)

I live in Southern Ontario near YYZ. I was hoping you could provide me with some ideas / advice / help getting there?

Anyone fly there for fun? Any maintenance relocates? C130s headed there? Could I fly deadhead? Empty leg flights? Cargo run?

Any help would be great.

Hard to say, most of us here have passes/recipe jump seat, which would cost you 60$ round trip. Porter jumpseat is 0$ and they fly to NL this time of year I'm fairly sure.

Do you not have any pass or reciprocal jumpseat options?

I doubt you could jump in a Herc, deadhead isn't a thing unless you're doing it to start/end a pairing and is a company operational requirement. Empty leg flights perhaps? Cargo runs maybe, Cargojet flies there..

It's hard enough to book jump/reciprocal jumpseat and get on a flight even legally, I highly doubt unless you get really lucky, you'd find a free ride to NL.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

try this, worked for this guy, similar story
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/05/11/a ... er-flight/

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

I was hoping you could provide me with some ideas / advice / help getting there?
You mean that you cannot scrounge together $600 for a commercial flight? What ever happened to "saving for a rainy day"? Why does your GF not pay for you to see her, or come back for a weekend and see you? If you cannot live apart, and you have not the means to be together, and she is not going to help you see her, and you have no money at all, then maybe this relationship is not for you.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Gofund me applies to everything now.

Used to be for individuals or families with traumatic life or medical events.

Begging is fashionable.

Kfarr87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kfarr87 »

Air.Field wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:16 pm try this, worked for this guy, similar story
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/05/11/a ... er-flight/
That's a sweet story, I don't think I have the social skills to do anything like that.

Kfarr87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kfarr87 »

jschnurr wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:09 am
You mean that you cannot scrounge together $600 for a commercial flight? What ever happened to "saving for a rainy day"? Why does your GF not pay for you to see her, or come back for a weekend and see you? If you cannot live apart, and you have not the means to be together, and she is not going to help you see her, and you have no money at all, then maybe this relationship is not for you.
That's a little cruel. To answer your question(s). No, I'm in a rough spot financially. I had thousands of dollars, needed furniture, crashed a new car, got a ticket, an insurance deductable... Etc that drove me from savings to screwed. She is a little cash strapped herself UW is not exactly cheap. I don't want to be alone, I love her with all my heart, I'm working hard full time but it's not like I'm a Dr. or Engineer. Do the poor not also deserve happiness?

A friend of mine flew to India for like $40 as an Air Canada employee. Where I used to work a few years ago we occasionally did post mod test flights. Some of the aircraft had spare crew seats, etc. I thought there may be some way one of the fine members of avcanada could help me. Maybe there is a bird needing heavy maintenance about to relocate to NL or something.

Kfarr87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kfarr87 »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:27 am Gofund me applies to everything now.

Begging is fashionable.
I feel like that would take away from people in more dire situations. I'm not too proud to beg. I though maybe there was a way that someone would know about.

Kfarr87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kfarr87 »

FL007 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:59 pm
Kfarr87 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:09 pm Hi, I could really use some help / advice.

Any help would be great.

Hard to say, most of us here have passes/recipe jump seat, which would cost you 60$ round trip. Porter jumpseat is 0$ and they fly to NL this time of year I'm fairly sure.

I doubt you could jump in a Herc, deadhead isn't a thing unless you're doing it to start/end a pairing and is a company operational requirement. Empty leg flights perhaps? Cargo runs maybe, Cargojet flies there..

It's hard enough to book jump/reciprocal jumpseat and get on a flight even legally, I highly doubt unless you get really lucky, you'd find a free ride to NL.
$60 I could probably get together. Would you be willing to share your pass?

How would I go about inquiring after a porter pass?

Do you know anyone to contact with regards to Cargojet?

Thank you for the help so far.

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

Your time is better spent making money than trying to get a free flight. You first off seem to need to re-organize your general finances. However long distance sucks and I'm sure you can go see your girlfriend if you really want to.

Here are ways I've made money in tough times:

- Go on Kijiji and search temporary work. You'll usually find a contractor that needs some extra help, and most times can even negotiate cash.
- If that fails walk up to any construction site with a pair of steel toes and gloves and ask if they could use a hand "cleaning up". The answer is always yes.
- Drive Uber or Lyft.

Then if you can only pull together a few hundred bucks, go search for a rideshare on Kijiji. Check multiple locations as well.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Kfarr87 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 am
FL007 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:59 pm

Any help would be great.

$60 I could probably get together. Would you be willing to share your pass?

How would I go about inquiring after a porter pass?

Do you know anyone to contact with regards to Cargojet?

Thank you for the help so far.
Oh no I can't share a pass, I was just mentioning that most of us on avcanada have these options and it's still tough for pilots to get around even with all these options.

The reciprocal jumpseat, and all those jumpseats I was speaking of requires you to be a pilot, and if your company has an agreement with other companies to use.

I doubt you could contact anyone at Cargojet specifically, I was just saying they go to NL so if you had an "in" there.

I doubt lots of people here would stick their neck out to ghost someone to NL but good luck!

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Kfarr87 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:26 am
rookiepilot wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:27 am Gofund me applies to everything now.

Begging is fashionable.
I feel like that would take away from people in more dire situations. I'm not too proud to beg. I though maybe there was a way that someone would know about.
I'm writing this from hospital where I am with an immediate member of my family.

Not an overnight stay, will leave it at that. So forgive the emotion but people, especially those not seeking a ride (whatever) but especially those leeches on Gofundme trying to raise money for flight training, instead of working as posters here suggest (not hard in this economy) are among the lowest form of life in my view.

During my journeys in hospital with this family member, which have been extensive, I remember a man crying on my shoulder, getting treatment for his kid over a period of time, worried cause he had to be there, and his boss continually was threatening to fire him. For missing work.

That dude should do gofund me, yes?

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Kfarr87 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 amDo the poor not also deserve happiness?
Interesting question. Essentially I'd say no one "deserves" happiness. We all have life situations that we have to deal with. Happiness is not getting what you want simply because you want it, rather it is about both striving to change your situation if it isn't in line with you want, but also accepting the reality of where you are at the moment. Striving isn't wishing, it's doing. And acceptance isn't whining and begging for money or freebies, it's getting along with your life as it is while you work to change it.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Kfarr87 wrote: ↑Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 am

Do the poor not also deserve happiness?

Absolutely they do and it is achieved by working for it.

Unless of course you are physically or mentally unable to work.

Kfarr87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kfarr87 »

Wow, this is quickly devolving into trash talk and crude statements.

I never once claimed to be lazy or unable to work.

My ability to help others in any large scale way is minimal due largely to my own particular situation. I do however try to help others when I can.

Without drawing this conversation into a large scale ethical and sociological debate; I feel the following holds true: People should have rights no matter what race, walk of life, or financial situation they find themselves in.
All people should have freedom, a right to love, and what ever happiness they are able to achieve.

I was hoping there was a way to get there and that it may be available to me. Some of you have put forth some great ideas and I thank you for that.

I would appreciate any additional options or possibilities not currently stated. Or if anyone has a "in" I would be grateful for anything you can do.

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

It’s very nice of your GF to offer you an invitation and nothing else to go see her.

Get a job. Lower your costs and create a budget. All your reasons are excuses. Life’s hard, we all do it.

Kfarr87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kfarr87 »

172_Captain wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:12 pm It’s very nice of your GF to offer you an invitation and nothing else to go see her.

Get a job. Lower your costs and create a budget. All your reasons are excuses. Life’s hard, we all do it.
You did not understand my original message well.

I have a job, I work full time. I do have a budget, my costs are as low as they can be within what I have to work with. They aren't excuses, they are issues that I am currently dealing with that have had negative impact on my finances. Life is hard, that's no reason to not help each other out.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

[/quote]
You did not understand my original message well.

I have a job, I work full time. I do have a budget, my costs are as low as they can be within what I have to work with. They aren't excuses, they are issues that I am currently dealing with that have had negative impact on my finances. Life is hard, that's no reason to not help each other out.
[/quote]

So you both work and both of you can't put enough cash together for a return ticket? Both your credit cards are maxed out? Are you both addicted to something that you blow your money on? Makes no sense not able to afford a ticket, even if both of you worked minimum wage jobs the combined yearly income be around $50k. Hard to imagine you each can't find the cash.
Crashed new car and got ticket you said. Why buy a new car? Could have bought used and had money for trips.
You made choices as we all do and must live with their result.
Doesn't seem like you are responsible, making up excuses and whine on here instead of going to a temporary work agency to work a couple days which would pay your trip.
I don't blame your GF for not helping. Not very smart at making decisions.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:33 am
So you both work and both of you can't put enough cash together for a return ticket? Both your credit cards are maxed out? Are you both addicted to something that you blow your money on? Makes no sense not able to afford a ticket, even if both of you worked minimum wage jobs the combined yearly income be around $50k. Hard to imagine you each can't find the cash.
Crashed new car and got ticket you said. Why buy a new car? Could have bought used and had money for trips.
You made choices as we all do and must live with their result.
Doesn't seem like you are responsible, making up excuses and whine on here instead of going to a temporary work agency to work a couple days which would pay your trip.
I don't blame your GF for not helping. Not very smart at making decisions.
Just under half of Canadians now live paycheque to paycheque, this case is not unique. We are not even in a recession yet.

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

This self pity attitude is going to kill your happiness, relationship, and future.

Return to “General Comments”