Recreational Flying and Flight Time Limitations

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jerob95
Rank 0
Rank 0

Recreational Flying and Flight Time Limitations

Post by jerob95 »

Do recreational flights count toward flight duty limitations? If not, is there a reference to the section in the CARs that covers this?
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Recreational Flying and Flight Time Limitations

Post by ahramin »

Recreational flight time counts towards your flight time limitations, but a day flying recreationally does not count as a duty day or period as you aren't on duty.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Recreational Flying and Flight Time Limitations

Post by HiFlyChick »

CAR 700.15 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no air operator shall assign a flight crew member for flight time, and no flight crew member shall accept such an assignment, if the flight crew member’s total flight time in all flights conducted by the flight crew member will, as a result, exceed....

CBACC 0207 - Monitoring of Flight Time and Flight Duty Time (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... 7-1677.htm) goes on to clarify this point:
It has come to Transport Canada's attention recently that not all operators are monitoring all the flight time and flight duty time of their flight crew members and that affected flight crew members are not always reporting non-company flight time and flight duty time to the air operator....

The CBAAC then talks about flight time accrued with other operators, so I suppose you could try and argue that it didn't mention recreational time, but I've had TC inspectors tell me that you are supposed to track all flight time. I suspect if you tried to argue otherwise, you'd be told to log it all, and arguing would ultimately just make your POI annoyed and who needs a PO-ed POI?

Return to “General Comments”