Jumpseating for real

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Jumpseating for real

Post by Ypilot »

One of my friend was flying a Belgium carrier as a pax, he flew all the way down to a french city, in the cockpit. All he did was show his Canadian pilot license. I was told that ppl pilots in Austria can also jumpseat in the flight deck.

In Canada 🇨🇦, we are really a bunch of stuck up, we can't even jumpseat in competitive airlines cockpits.

Bringing your wife or kids. Dream big!
---------- ADS -----------

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Jumpseating for real

Post by HiFlyChick »

You used to be able to get in the jump seat in Canada pre 9-11 - hardly snobbery, more like it was just too close to home

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

Jumpseats should belong to pilots. We have enough judgement to fly airplanes, we can decide who we can bring in.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Ypilot wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:14 pm One of my friend was flying a Belgium carrier as a pax, he flew all the way down to a french city, in the cockpit. All he did was show his Canadian pilot license. I was told that ppl pilots in Austria can also jumpseat in the flight deck.

In Canada 🇨🇦, we are really a bunch of stuck up, we can't even jumpseat in competitive airlines cockpits.

That is definitely not normal. Good for him, but he was very lucky to be allowed in the cockpit during flight.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

digits_ wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:59 pm
Ypilot wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:14 pm One of my friend was flying a Belgium carrier as a pax, he flew all the way down to a french city, in the cockpit. All he did was show his Canadian pilot license. I was told that ppl pilots in Austria can also jumpseat in the flight deck.

That is definitely not normal. Good for him, but he was very lucky to be allowed in the cockpit during flight.
So you are saying this is not allowed in Europe?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Jumpseats should belong to pilots. We have enough judgement to fly airplanes, we can decide who we can bring in.
Jump seats belong to the owner/operator of the plane. If it's your plane, you decide. If it's your employer's plane, your employer decides. Your employer may be bound by regulation, or policy. In any case, it is the duty of a pilot as an employee to follow employer's policy - it is there for flight safety and compliance - which includes that of the pilots!

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

PilotDAR wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:13 pm
Jump seats belong to the owner/operator of the plane. If it's your plane, you decide. If it's your employer's plane, your employer decides. Your employer may be bound by regulation, or policy. In any case, it is the duty of a pilot as an employee to follow employer's policy - it is there for flight safety and compliance - which includes that of the pilots!
Obviously we are all following our employer's policies, that are heavily connected to our moronic southern neighbours "policies/politics". My point is, it doesn't make sense for us. Everybody loves Canadians.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

heavily connected to our moronic southern neighbours "policies/politics". My point is, it doesn't make sense for us.
If it's your plane, and you're not flying inside the established secure zone, you can have whomever you want in the cockpit. I think our southern neighbours were a little too lax about security in a number of areas, until aircraft were turned into weapons against them!

How does it benefit aviation, aircraft operators, or the public in general to have non required people in the cockpit of a public flight? it is a possible risk with no benefit. Anyone with a reason to be in the jumpseat, gets the required authorization, and flies. Everyone else should fly in the seat assigned by the aircraft operator.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Ypilot wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:06 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:59 pm

So you are saying this is not allowed in Europe?
All I can say for sure is that I have tried this as well at multiple european airlines with a european ppl/cpl and was never succesfull. Afaik it is gemerally not allowed.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

The breach has been secured. Our doors can now withstand a grenade attack. I don't think my wife or my five year old boy are a threat.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

PilotDAR wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:44 pm
heavily connected to our moronic southern neighbours "policies/politics". My point is, it doesn't make sense for us.
If it's your plane, and you're not flying inside the established secure zone, you can have whomever you want in the cockpit. I think our southern neighbours were a little too lax about security in a number of areas, until aircraft were turned into weapons against them!

How does it benefit aviation, aircraft operators, or the public in general to have non required people in the cockpit of a public flight? it is a possible risk with no benefit. Anyone with a reason to be in the jumpseat, gets the required authorization, and flies. Everyone else should fly in the seat assigned by the aircraft operator.
I can take a company employee in the js who was hired yesterday and has never had a background check but can’t take my wife. How does that benefit the company

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Ypilot wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:23 pm
PilotDAR wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:13 pm
Obviously we are all following our employer's policies, that are heavily connected to our moronic southern neighbours "policies/politics". My point is, it doesn't make sense for us. Everybody loves Canadians.
Except airline pilots in the states can sit in the actual jumpseat on airlines that aren't the ones they work for

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

Except airline pilots in the states can sit in the actual jumpseat on airlines that aren't the ones they work for
I didn't know. What's stopping us from doing the same? That would be a good start.

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

goleafsgo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:56 am

And they get much better travel beneifts.

To the Op, it's all about security. That's in the company and the authorities' point of view. It is the first time I hear of some random guy just showing his ppl and going accessing a cockpit during flight.

As stated above, most aviation authorities have their regulations regarding cockpit access, and they are strongly enforced by the various companies. Most companies have a company ID rule. You have to work for thr company with a valid ID. And in most cases SOPs leave it to the captain to decide whether to let the person in or not.

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

I’ve heard a handful of stories of our younger flight attendants being permitted up front for landing on major European airlines.

This has been within the past 5 years. Good luck If you’re a male FA 😏

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

When I was a commercial student, one of the local airlines had a really awesome Chief Pilot, who wanted to encourage junior pilots, so he had a program whereby the local flying school could recommend commercial students for jump seat rides. It was really awesome to do a run YHZ-YYG and back in the jump seat of a Dash and also a BAE-146 - it was my first exposure to the "real world" and to professionals using checklists, CRM, etc.

I also once managed to hitch a lift in a jump seat when they had overbooked a bunch of flights and we very foolishly gave up our seats for the cash due to a promise to "get you on a flight later this morning". I didn't clue in to the fact that the person who had promised me a flight that day then flew away, leaving the ticket agent to tell me that I would be lucky to make it home in 2 or 3 days!

So there are times when allowing the pilots to use their discretion actually benefits the company or aviation in general....

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

PilotDAR wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:44 pm

The risk is basically 0. These are pilots who fly within the same system, for other operators who also offer the privilege. The benefit is the ability to commute to work, and a lower chance of cancelled flights as well as an employee benefit.

Return to “General Comments”