When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
Rquick
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:53 pm

When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by Rquick » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:12 am

Hi..
I fly Ag aircraft on a seasonal basis. Commercial lic. No passengers no multi crew. Single engine VFR only.
Up until now I have had a medical once per year. It was in March. I am turning 60 in Sept.
when do I need to have another medical?
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by A Regulator » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:24 pm

What date does your aviation document say where the Dr., signed it?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by Loner » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:30 pm

CPL single pilot every 6 months for you my friend

(6.1) The validity period of a medical certificate for a commercial pilot licence, a multi-crew pilot licence — aeroplane and an airline transport pilot licence, if the holder of the licence is acting as a flight crew member for hire or reward, is 12 months.

(6.2) However, the validity period of a medical certificate referred to in subsection (6.1) is reduced to 6 months if

(a) the holder of the licence is 40 years of age or older and is conducting a single-pilot operation with passengers on board; or
(b) the holder of the licence is 60 years of age or older.
(6.3) The holder of a commercial pilot licence or an airline transport pilot licence may exercise the privileges of a private pilot licence until the end of the applicable validity period for the private pilot licence specified in subsection (6).
---------- ADS -----------
  
Last edited by Loner on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanWEC
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:05 pm
Location: 404

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by DanWEC » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 pm

Honestly if you're in doubt I'd just give Transport a ring. Last thing you want is bad advice from some other horses mouth (Metaphor Magic Bullet on high!)
---------- ADS -----------
  

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: Near that puffy cloud

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by jg24 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:28 am

Page 15 of your blue booklet should guide you in the right direction too.
---------- ADS -----------
  

digits_
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2083
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by digits_ » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:53 am

It's the classical debate between "the validity period is determined by the age of te holder at the time of the medical" vs "the validity period is determined by the age of the holder at the time of the flight".
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
JasonE
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 526
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by JasonE » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:48 pm

You can log into transport and check the dates yourself as well.
---------- ADS -----------
  
"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright

Rquick
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by Rquick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:01 pm

digits_ wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:53 am
It's the classical debate between "the validity period is determined by the age of te holder at the time of the medical" vs "the validity period is determined by the age of the holder at the time of the flight".
Yes that is the exact reason I was asking. I have been told, by other pilots, I am good for my full year as I was 59 at the time of the medical. The age 60 rule will kick in for subsequent medicals.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Rquick
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by Rquick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:02 pm

JasonE wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:48 pm
You can log into transport and check the dates yourself as well.
Thank you..do you have a link for this service?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
telex
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by telex » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Rquick wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:02 pm
JasonE wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:48 pm
You can log into transport and check the dates yourself as well.
Thank you..do you have a link for this service?
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... u-1798.htm
---------- ADS -----------
  

Rquick
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by Rquick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 am

telex wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:52 pm
Rquick wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:02 pm
JasonE wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:48 pm
You can log into transport and check the dates yourself as well.
Thank you..do you have a link for this service?
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... u-1798.htm

Thank you..I registered.
I will let you know what it says once my application is approved.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5024
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: West Coast

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by Big Pistons Forever » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:15 am

CAR 404.04 is clear on this issue.


(5) A medical certificate is
valid
...... on the day on which the medical examination for the issuance or renewal of the certificate is conducted until the earliest of:

(a) the end of the validity period set out in the table to subsection (6) for the certificate



(6) Subject to subsection (9), the
validity period
of a medical certificate for a permit, licence or rating that is set out in column 1 of the table to this subsection is set out in column 2 if the holder of the permit, licence or rating is under 40 years of age and in column 3 if the holder of the permit, licence or rating is 40 years of age or older.

Under subsection 6 of 404.04 is the table with all of the possible license validate to dates. It is followed by some notes that slightly modify the requirements and it is these notes which address the age 60 issue.

Your age the day your medical book is stamped determines how long your medical is valid for. If you are 59 on the day of your Medical your Medical is good for 1 year as longs you do not operate single pilot with passengers. On your next Medical 1 year later you will be 60 so your Medical will only be valid for 6 Months regardless of the type of commercial flying you are doing.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Rquick
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by Rquick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:38 am

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:15 am
CAR 404.04 is clear on this issue.


(5) A medical certificate is
valid
...... on the day on which the medical examination for the issuance or renewal of the certificate is conducted until the earliest of:

(a) the end of the validity period set out in the table to subsection (6) for the certificate



(6) Subject to subsection (9), the
validity period
of a medical certificate for a permit, licence or rating that is set out in column 1 of the table to this subsection is set out in column 2 if the holder of the permit, licence or rating is under 40 years of age and in column 3 if the holder of the permit, licence or rating is 40 years of age or older.

Under subsection 6 of 404.04 is the table with all of the possible license validate to dates. It is followed by some notes that slightly modify the requirements and it is these notes which address the age 60 issue.

Your age the day your medical book is stamped determines how long your medical is valid for. If you are 59 on the day of your Medical your Medical is good for 1 year as longs you do not operate single pilot with passengers. On your next Medical 1 year later you will be 60 so your Medical will only be valid for 6 Months regardless of the type of commercial flying you are doing.
Perfect..that is the type of response I was looking for.
In my case my medical is valid until the 1st of April 2019 - at that point I will be 60+ years of age. My next medical, in mMrch of 2019 will be valid until the 1st day of the 7 month. Thank you for your answer. I will try to schedule the next medical, in 2019, such that I can complete my spray season without having to obtain a 2nd medical.
---------- ADS -----------
  

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:25 am

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by switchflicker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:28 pm

You might want to consider doing a medical a bit early (whilst you are still 59) to get a last 12 month validity date. Whether that is worth it or not depends on when your birthday is. Also if you are not using your licence during the off season that might be a waste of time and money.
---------- ADS -----------
  
"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.

Rquick
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Re: When is my next medical due? Turning 60.

Post by Rquick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:52 pm

switchflicker wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:28 pm
You might want to consider doing a medical a bit early (whilst you are still 59) to get a last 12 month validity date. Whether that is worth it or not depends on when your birthday is. Also if you are not using your licence during the off season that might be a waste of time and money.
I know what you are saying. The thought has crossed my mind
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”