Flying LSA in turbulence video

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Flying LSA in turbulence video

Post by astroguy »

Well I have now 34 hours flight time and I finally hit some turbulence....
Here is a video of my little trip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzlK_g8IqVU

Search YoutTube ...... David Pianosi for more newbie flight videos
---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Flying LSA in turbulence video

Post by Eric Janson »

Didn't look too bad in the video - but that can be deceiving.

Small Tip for you - put the aircraft on the upwind side of the runway under these conditions. That way any gust will move you onto the centerline. Much easier to move the aircraft downwind than upwind. I think you'll find this makes things easier.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Looks like a fun little plane.

You can use more aileron than you think close to touch down. I was surprised one time in a pretty good crosswind, we were close and I started drifting. The instructor quickly grabbed his yoke and put in way more than I was. That stopped the drift. Then he told me to put it all the way over and keep it there after touch down. More recently someone posted full aileron after touch down helps reduce the yaw a little on roll out.

I see they might be tricky to operate with your left hand but.. You might want to get in the habit of retracting the flaps right after touch down.

Here's the link to your channel if anyone wants to check out all your videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLuL8E ... 3fBS8l7aEA

I liked this one. I'd like to see more small planes taking off/flying footage landings too.

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by astroguy »

Eric Janson wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:12 am Didn't look too bad in the video - but that can be deceiving.

Small Tip for you - put the aircraft on the upwind side of the runway under these conditions. That way any gust will move you onto the centerline. Much easier to move the aircraft downwind than upwind. I think you'll find this makes things easier.
Small but a good tip.....I actually realized this upon the rewatching of the video. I find I can learn so much about mistakes that I watch myself doing.
For sure in a forced landing practice at the airport I had to account for wind drift on appoach in a power off situation just to ensure that I'll be somewhere near the long axis of the runway.....
I love the feedback guys...keep it coming.

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by astroguy »

Beefitarian wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:20 am Looks like a fun little plane.

You can use more aileron than you think close to touch down. I was surprised one time in a pretty good crosswind, we were close and I started drifting. The instructor quickly grabbed his yoke and put in way more than I was. That stopped the drift. Then he told me to put it all the way over and keep it there after touch down. More recently someone posted full aileron after touch down helps reduce the yaw a little on roll out.

I see they might be tricky to operate with your left hand but.. You might want to get in the habit of retracting the flaps right after touch down.

Here's the link to your channel if anyone wants to check out all your videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLuL8E ... 3fBS8l7aEA

I liked this one. I'd like to see more small planes taking off/flying footage landings too.

Hi... yes the flaps are a bit unusual to operate in that cross handed overhead manner but you adapt quickly. Thanks for the feedback on the aileron near touchdown component..... this is good stuff.
So much of solo flying in my newbie situation is mistakes but you don't even know they are mistakes. Thanks for the feed back.... keep it coming.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Eric Janson wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:12 am Small Tip for you - put the aircraft on the upwind side of the runway under these conditions.
I respectfully disagree with this. The purpose of training/practicing light aircraft flying is supposed to be, in my opinion, the mastery of the art of physically flying airplanes. And part of that mastery is the ability to fly an approach tracking the center line of the runway, and then landing on that center line, with the longitudinal axis of the aircraft aligned with it, in any wind conditions that the aircraft is demonstrated to be capable of handling. I think that practicing in a way that makes allowances for a certain degree of failure is poor practice indeed. I'm not suggesting that you should expect perfect crosswind landings every time while you're learning, but I am saying that is what you should strive for. The airplane has ailerons, a rudder and elevator for a reason. It can be done, if you use them properly.
I find some of the comments regarding the use of aileron in crosswind landings as new information, to be shocking. What are your instructors teaching? This must be a somewhat common weakness across instructing. Many of the young low time pilots I fly with struggle mightily with them, and do not have a good understanding of the basic method to performing them.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

shimmydampner wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:31 pm
Eric Janson wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:12 am Small Tip for you - put the aircraft on the upwind side of the runway under these conditions.
I respectfully disagree with this. The purpose of training/practicing light aircraft flying is supposed to be, in my opinion, the mastery of the art of physically flying airplanes. And part of that mastery is the ability to fly an approach tracking the center line of the runway, and then landing on that center line, with the longitudinal axis of the aircraft aligned with it, in any wind conditions that the aircraft is demonstrated to be capable of handling. I think that practicing in a way that makes allowances for a certain degree of failure is poor practice indeed. I'm not suggesting that you should expect perfect crosswind landings every time while you're learning, but I am saying that is what you should strive for. The airplane has ailerons, a rudder and elevator for a reason. It can be done, if you use them properly.
I find some of the comments regarding the use of aileron in crosswind landings as new information, to be shocking. What are your instructors teaching? This must be a somewhat common weakness across instructing. Many of the young low time pilots I fly with struggle mightily with them, and do not have a good understanding of the basic method to performing them.
@shimmydampner

I see I wasn't clear in my original post.

I was talking about the technique during the approach - you still land on the centreline.

You use the wind to help you - approach crabbed on the upwind side then when you align the aircraft with the runway axis it will easily move onto the centreline. Then a little into the wind aileron to stop the drift.

In the video posted earlier I would have put the right wheel just left of the centreline during the approach.

Use the wind to help you.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “General Comments”