I'm thinking of getting my Flight Instructor Rating Ultralights

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

I'm thinking of getting my Flight Instructor Rating Ultralights

Post by astroguy »

I'm thinking of getting my Flight Instructor Rating Ultralights.
The Ikarus C - 42 is an advacned ultralight that I have been flying for 50 hours now and in Canada that is enough to obtain your Instructor rating after another 10 hrs grounds school and another test in Ottawa and another check ride with unassociated test flight instructor.
So I'm going for it.... it allows certain privileges that I don't have with my ULPP (Ultralight Pilot Permit) plus I could then start taking people on familiarization flights and some basic instruction to start.
Not bad for a guy who simpley wanted to fullfill a bucket list item of solo control of an airplane in one circuit....but now I"m addicted!
Video of my practice flight in the circuit below..
Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyIKfuDX9ww&t=15sV

---------- ADS -----------

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: I'm thinking of getting my Flight Instructor Rating Ultralights

Post by marakii »

astroguy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:46 am I'm thinking of getting my Flight Instructor Rating Ultralights.
The Ikarus C - 42 is an advacned ultralight that I have been flying for 50 hours now and in Canada that is enough to obtain your Instructor rating after another 10 hrs grounds school and another test in Ottawa and another check ride with unassociated test flight instructor.
So I'm going for it.... it allows certain privileges that I don't have with my ULPP (Ultralight Pilot Permit) plus I could then start taking people on familiarization flights and some basic instruction to start.
Not bad for a guy who simpley wanted to fullfill a bucket list item of solo control of an airplane in one circuit....but now I"m addicted!
Video of my practice flight in the circuit below..
Thanks

Hello,

What do you think of the ikarus as a trainer in general ?
Does the single stick tricky? Is there a second yolk beside you in the above YouTube video? I’d like to hear more

Thanks

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by astroguy »

Hello sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
Yes the Ikarus C 42 LSA is a fine positively stable airplane that is great for training. It would land itself is my joke. I is very responsive.
It has a dry weight of 605 lbs and MTOW of 1,230 lbs... making it approximately 1,000 lbs less than the Cessna 172 that I did my first 5 hours training on. Thus it requires deft control in crosswind landing as the light craft has less authourity than a heavier craft during approach and landing but it is very responsive and can handle a max demonstrated crosswind of 15 knots at 90 degrees and a no fly at greater than 22 knots.
It has the 4 cyl 4 stroke Rotax 912 80 hp which is a very reliable match to the airframe. It will easily produce 1,000 fpm solo and up to 1,300 fpm in dense cold air.
The central stick is a joy but I did not enjoy having to reverse the controls when switching to right seat for my flight instruction skills. Without doubt I found the switch to right seat with the new site picture and reversed hands to be one of the more difficult things I had to learn in my baby flying career. It take at least 3 hours maybe 5 hours to even start to feel like you know how to fly again. I image it would be similar to relearning to walk after suffering a stroke.
I have recently obtained my Flight instructor rating but I've only had a few instructor flights as here in Ontario Canada.... we had 20 'no fly' days due to weather in the month of Janurary!! plus I work full time.
I'd love to hear of you progress... keep in touch. Where on the Earth are you and what do you presently fly.
Btw the stick in the right seat is actually a hand control rudder for my FI who uses a wheelchair due to an auto accident.
DaveP

Helno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Helno »

Were the hoops hard to jump through to get the UL instructor rating? Did it have any effect on your insurance costs?

A friend of mine has a C42 on order and it should be arriving this spring.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

I thought you needed a normal flight instructors licences. Which be a commercial license plus. I used to have a Q rating

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy

Return to “General Comments”