GA Fliers: Staying safe VFR in high density airspace.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

GA Fliers: Staying safe VFR in high density airspace.

Post by rookiepilot »

Copying this over here....
Airspace, especially on weekends for GA VFR fliers, is getting more and more congested around the major metropolitan areas. Certain areas are chokepoints, jammed between a safe AGL altitude, overlying class C above, and transitioning near busy flight training intensive airports (Brampton comes to mind).

After a recent such flight, here are some tips to keep safe, in no particular order of importance, to reduce the chance of a conflict, and work effectively with controllers when around terminal airspace.

The goals are, 1) obviously to keep everyone safe -- also 2) maintaining access. --

I appreciate YYZ terminal WILL usually handle VFR FF's. They don't have to! Try the Fraser valley outside YVR, where they usually don't. You're on your own, bud. One less tool. So let's work with controllers -- effectively -- for our own benefit.

Chip in, anyone......certainly this isn't the be and end all. Just my $0.02

1. Consider putting all lights on, in and around terminal airspace. I did this on a recent flight down the lakeshore in Toronto, in which there is frequent, 2 way VFR traffic in a narrow corridor permitted by ATC inside the class C, (without straying offshore into Lake Ontario too much) at one altitude, or narrowly separated by 500' or less. My comments will reference this corridor, which also overflys City Centre -- CYTZ -- (yes I know it's Billy bishop -- NO one uses this name in the air )

2. Work with controllers to maintain separation, vertically, horizontally if possible, and ideally, both. Most of the time, terminal controllers in my airspace do an outstanding job, with a busy mix of students, IFR departures and arrivals, loads of VFR's like I was from multiple directions and airports, medevacs, and helicopter tours.

The bottom line though -- it's your ass up there. Trust, but verify!
If you see a potential conflict in your instructions from ATC, speak up and ask, or suggest a resolution. You're VFR, but inside the class C you're required to ask before changing assigned altitude or headings outside of limits given -- unless it's an imminent risk of collision.

Recently I was descending, as instructed, and then was informed of opposing, closing traffic I would be crossing under, on my descent. Not having a visual, this was a bit uncomfortable. I did inquire again as to an updated position on this traffic, as I drew closer. Don't be shy about asking, if a clearance altitude or heading doesn't make sense.

3. With that, even in the class C and under flight following, it's YOUR job to mentally track all the other traffic you hear on com, their positions, and potential conflicts. Don't fall asleep up there, assuming the controller will resolve a conflict for you. They are human! Also keep a sharp eye out the window -- and especially on nice VFR weekend days.

I heard a controller working 2 airplanes - think outside the class C -- heard "half mile, 200 above you". He didn't resolve that -- not his job in that airspace -- did warn though and offered a higher altitude to the one plane, who said, "we'll just carry on". Uhmm...OK. Hope they saw each other. Understand whose responsibility it is to stay safe...that's all.

Situation awareness is huge...especially departing / arriving at uncontrolled airports during nutty busy days. It's been so busy arriving back at Burlington on some days ....I get close, and cannot form a mental picture on where everyone is. So....slow down. Do an orbit, or a couple, well away from the airport. Let the situation clear up. Why take the risk?

4. Communication, with controllers (in busy airspace I will always ask for FF'ing) and on 126.7 -- be accurate, clear, and BRIEF! Practice at home, or in the car. It's debatable what to read back -- I think when a controller says, "maintain 2000, follow the shoreline" -- it reduces stress and increases clarity (for them) for me to read back "2000, shoreline, XXX". Not a big deal.

To me, it's not (only) what is required, it's what's smart in that situation. Try very hard not to surprise controllers, or other pilots, by doing the unexpected in busy airspace. On a dead, cold weekday, to the same clearance....I might simply reply...."XXX". There aren't conflicts.

Why? I'm thinking of what the controller expects...on that busier day with loads of VFR's. Repeating back a little, he should know " this guy got it, (likely) won't turn right and try to fly over Pearson during rush hour" -- or climb into the opposite direction traffic.

Sometimes you're going to cut someone else off, or them, you. It happens, it's so busy 2 pilots will try to transmit simultaneously. Assume you weren't heard, if no response after a reasonable time. (There are accidents because one side assumed they were heard, and didn't clarify)

Wait for ATC to call you back if they heard you start your call -- if they don't, try again, but more briefly, (just your callsign) if possible. Let the controller catch up a bit, they will call you when they can, and need to. Helps overall safety. That's the goal.

On 126.70... work to be accurate with position, altitude, direction of flight, call sign. Maybe destination if reasonably close...helpful if I'm going there too. Clarity, brevity.

I don't want to hear what you had for lunch at the cafe on a nutty Saturday, nor your call every / minutes, nor the dreaded ACTPA. I don't even care that much about the exact type, colour, turbo, mods, ect.. Don't want to get that close, thank you....

5. On second com.. Use it to monitor-- always. On with Toronto, out of the terminal airspace, I monitor 126.70, or the flight training frequencies. (Inside the class C -- not a good idea -- good chance of missing a call for you in a high traffic environment) Not everyone is using FF out in the countryside. I will also announce on 126.70 -- even if talking to Toronto ....because often, I can talk to Toronto ...but there isn't radar coverage down low, east and north of the city. So use your tools.

Inside, I will monitor passing airports....often will monitor Brampton when passing to the west, even when on with Toronto....if close enough, I will call them up too. Some would say too much congestion -- be quick, clear, and accurate, and it adds to safety, doesn't diminish.

6. Lastly, flying. If the clearance in the class C is 2000, and a helicopter is opposing at 1800 separated narrowly..... fly accurately, and indentify the traffic. Not a problem. Get the altimeter setting , and maintain 2000 and your heading, if given one. Keep your focus in those busy traffic areas -- but no need to be afraid of them either. I was privileged to fly the Hudson River VFR corridor -- privileged that is, to get a class bravo clearance and flight following service, not often given. Lots of traffic there too, 3 major airports, everyone did what they were supposed to, no issue at all.

Descents, into terminal airspace (or to remain underneath). 500' per minute for GA is expected, when given descent instructions-- And don't "cut corners" -- know the airspace well, and what the controller expects of you on a given routing, so he / she can keep the arrival lanes clear into YYZ. Sooner or later, you'll get barked at for that. Fly assigned headings accurately.

All I can think of. Fly safe, and have fun too!
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”