Westjet Encore and Westjet FA Job Question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KimmyFA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Westjet Encore and Westjet FA Job Question

Post by KimmyFA »

Hi, I recently applied for a flight attendant position with Westjet Encore and was wondering whether I should also apply to Westjet mainline. I am bilingual and interested in both. Thanks for any advice you can give me. I just don't want to mess up my chance with Westjet Encore if I also apply to mainline.
---------- ADS -----------

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Westjet Encore and Westjet FA Job Question

Post by Longtimer »

You might want to check out, https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... ities.html , instead.

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

For those looking for a job at KFL
https://www.kfaero.ca/careers/apply-now

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Longtimer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:59 pm You might want to check out, https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... ities.html , instead.
That was not what the person asked for and perhaps he/she is not interested at working for Air Canada.

If I were you I would apply to both companies.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Apply to both mainline carriers, have you seen the pay at the regionals?

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at WJ/Encore I was told that as an FA you don't get paid unless the engines are turning? The article is a bit dated (6 months or so old), as this is a dynamic industry things may have changed. I'm sure you will do your research and due diligence and make an informed decision. Good luck on your job search!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westje ... -1.4575681

20DMEYYZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 20DMEYYZ »

if you're bilingual, they are All interested in you! apply freely and choose your preference!

Rezy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rezy »

An Encore FA will barely make minimum wage. You only get paid your hourly wage from park break release to park break on. Or simply, whenever the plane is moving. Therefore you will typically have a 10-14 hour day and get paid for around 4 hours. While away from home base, you will make $3 an hour tax free in per diem. This will account for around half your take home pay. You will work 18-19 days a month and reserve every month. While on reserve you do not make per diem, so your income will really suffer.
A WestJet FA will work around 16-18 days a month with the same hourly wage (very close) however the big difference is you will average more “credit” per day and make 5-6 hours of pay a day due to the longer flights. It’s considered a much better job than at Encore.
There is massive turnover at Encore for FA’s and not so much at WestJet. Both environments are pretty toxic as most people are not satisfied with there work rules.
If you are interested in being a FA I would highly recommend Air Canada as they have the best working conditions and decent company moral. If not Air Canada, go for WestJet as it’s a significantly better job than Encore. Only apply to encore if you’re looking for short term job, good travel benefits and want to travel around Canada AND if deep down you know that you’re a little bit crazy inside!
Best of luck

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Jet Jockey wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:46 pm
Longtimer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:59 pm You might want to check out, https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... ities.html , instead.
That was not what the person asked for and perhaps he/she is not interested at working for Air Canada.

If I were you I would apply to both companies.
No, its not what they asked for, but its the better than WS. Doesnt hurt to let people know WS morale is garbage and there is a big union kerfuffle going on right now. Go to Big Red. They have the biggest dick on the block.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

This statement made you loose credibility.
pianokeys wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:12 pm
No, its not what they asked for, but its the better than WS. Doesnt hurt to let people know WS morale is garbage and there is a big union kerfuffle going on right now. Go to Big Red. They have the biggest dick on the block.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

flyinhigh wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:45 am This statement made you loose credibility.
pianokeys wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:12 pm
Not sure how telling the truth makes me lose credibility.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

I wonder if you would start getting paid if you loose break pressure.

Return to “General Comments”