Cat 1 Restriction

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Wings72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cat 1 Restriction

Post by Wings72 »

Hello All,

I have just started my training and I am new to most things. I just received my Medical Certifacate. The Category is 1 but listed under restrictions is the following - Private Pilot Privileges - 12 months.

Is this a normal restriction for a new applicant?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Cat 1 Restriction

Post by photofly »

Sounds like this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=127611

perhaps it's the new normal.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

My Cat 1 has the same restriction, Cat 3 for 12 months only. In my case it is due to a medical condition that needs to be evaluated yearly.

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

Wings72 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:52 pm Is this a normal restriction for a new applicant?
Unless you have a medical condition indicating it, I don't think so. CAR 404.4 (6.3) should give you PPL privileges for 60 months (24 months if over 40 years old).

I initially went for a Cat 3 (because it was less expensive), then up to a Cat 1 when I got my CPL. Didn't have a 12 month private privileges restriction. I haven't flown commercially, so let it run to the end of the 60 months.

If that 12 month restriction happened to me, I'd go back to your doctor or Transport Canada and get them to justify why. That's requiring 5x the medicals (and costs), so there better be a really good reason.

Return to “General Comments”