Air Canada and Westjet...what a joke

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air Canada and Westjet...what a joke

Post by Liftdump »

Stick to flying. You have no idea what you are saying.
---------- ADS -----------

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

Well I was going to have a nice spliff with my wife and watch a funny movie before bed and be fresh up for duty. Guess i'll legally slam 18 beers 12 hrs before my duty instead. Hopefully I don't smell like PBRs during my crew briefing. :goodman: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited by CPT.HarshColdReality on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:32 pm
CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:54 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:36 pm Pot stocks.
Crushed today.
LOL!
That's just profit taking...they are still great businesses, it's just that the smart money got in there long ago and is getting out now. I guess I should have bought it when I saw their Gulfstream parked next to me on the ramp a few years ago, next to Costco's Gulfstream. Seems to be a good indicator of a business that is generating tons of cash.

No thanks. And no, it isn't.
My bank account and TFSA disagrees.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

YAY. PENIS FIGHTS!

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Lightchop wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:57 pm
My bank account and TFSA disagrees.
You actually sound like you know what you're talking about.

Everyone does -- till they get hit.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:24 am Well I was going to have a nice spliff with my wife and watch a funny movie before bed and be fresh up for duty. Guess i'll legally slam 18 beers 12 hrs before my duty instead. Hopefully I don't smell like PBRs during my crew briefing. :goodman: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you do that you’re not legal either!
For “binge” drinking, you must allow 24 hours prior to reporting for duty, at a absolute minimum, the average person metabolizes 1 ounce or 1 drink per hour. Therefore your example would require 18 hours.
I honestly don’t get how a professional pilot could argue for using marijuana, I’ve never met a successful pothead, maaannn!

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

mbav8r wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:49 pm
CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:24 am Well I was going to have a nice spliff with my wife and watch a funny movie before bed and be fresh up for duty. Guess i'll legally slam 18 beers 12 hrs before my duty instead. Hopefully I don't smell like PBRs during my crew briefing. :goodman: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
For “binge” drinking, you must allow 24 hours prior to reporting for duty, at a absolute minimum, the average person metabolizes 1 ounce or 1 drink per hour. Therefore your example would require 18 hours.
I honestly don’t get how a professional pilot could argue for using marijuana, I’ve never met a successful pothead, maaannn!

This can't be a real post? Never met a successful pothead? Generalizing much?

Again, pot isn't my cup of tea but I'd much rather have pot around than second hand smoke.

The thing I like the most is the freedom to exercise rights. If I ever wanted to hang around my successful "pothead" friends (lawyers, doctors, PhDs) when there's a couple of joints at a get together, or at a cottage, I shouldn't have job security to worry about if I inhale second hand smoke.

Not to mention inadvertently inhaling second hand smoke and, say, a runway incursion warrants a urine sample which puts me to jail for half my life.

Again, this is someone who doesn't want to smoke, just not for me, I just want realistic regulations that safeguard witch hunting a legal drug.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Why wasn’t second hand pot smoke never raised as a concern before? It’s not like people didn’t smoke it before and it is likely that people that smoked it before smoke it today.

Going for the deck at corner
FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

AuxBatOn wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:25 pm Why wasn’t second hand pot smoke never raised as a concern before? It’s not like people didn’t smoke it before and it is likely that people that smoked it before smoke it today.
Because some people don't break the law? I had 60 year old neighbours that hadn't smoked in like 30 years light up just because, why not?

It will be way more mainstream now than it ever was. I could see accidental consumption of food products happening very easy, too.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

I think people are using this as an argument to have pot allowed. But that's a weak argument. It hasn't prevented people to fly before, it won't today. What I learned with time is that most people think about their self before anything else.... And be damned we infringe on their "rights"...

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

AuxBatOn wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:33 pm What I learned with time is that most people think about their self before anything else.... And be damned we infringe on their "rights"...
LOL -- This.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

SRV wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:13 pm Banning cannabis use among any staff is nothing short of hypocritical and grossly over correcting. While I completely agree with the ban and strongly agree cannabis, like any other state altering substance, in the wrong hands is a public danger. It, however is also a scientifically proven medicine for many diseases and ailments and therefore is in the public interest in terms of benefits hence now legal.

What I find as hypocritical and a gross misjudgement is that alcohol, a pure poison, is not a public concern to these so called companies!
Recently got a one sentence important memo from an airport where I spend some time which says that cannabis and illicit drug use are not allowed on the airport.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

AuxBatOn wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:33 pm I think people are using this as an argument to have pot allowed. But that's a weak argument. It hasn't prevented people to fly before, it won't today. What I learned with time is that most people think about their self before anything else.... And be damned we infringe on their "rights"...
Oh yes like your right to a beer after work isn't important.

A ban on legal activities in your off time sets the precedent on other things. Why don't they just ban alcohol outright?

Did you see the air force's policy? Way more realistic, instead of being criminalized for showing trace amounts 40 days after you went to a card game where guys were smoking all night.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

From drugabuse.gov:

People often ask about the possible psychoactive effect of exposure to secondhand marijuana smoke and whether a person who has inhaled secondhand marijuana smoke could fail a drug test. Researchers measured the amount of THC in the blood of people who do not smoke marijuana and had spent 3 hours in a well-ventilated space with people casually smoking marijuana; THC was present in the blood of the nonsmoking participants, but the amount was well below the level needed to fail a drug test.

Restriction on what you can and can't do in your time off because if employment is not new. At some point, people need to make life choices and if your "right" to smoke pot is more important than your employment well, quit your job.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

The drug test for marijuana isn't usually a blood test though. It's a urine test that checks for metabolites the body produces when exposed to THC. Will your body produce enough of those metabolites to register as a positive in a drug test? Depends on how sensitive the test is.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Try again.

"So researchers paired several regular pot smokers and nonsmokers and put them in a sealed compartment together for an hour, while one smoked a joint containing a relatively strong strain of marijuana.

The 12 nonsmoking participants were then tasked with peeing into a cup 13 times over the next 34 hours. Their urine was tested for 9-carboxy-THC, the marijuana metabolite commonly measured in standard drug tests.

The results, published this month in the Journal of Analytical Toxicology, gives nonsmokers with weed-using friends reason to breathe easy. The scientists found urine levels of this metabolite surpassed typically detectable levels (50 nanogram per milliliter) in only one experiment participant, and this happened during a brief window four to six hours after exposure.

Using a more sensitive test, however, which is not usually employed in the workplace, scientists could detect blood THC levels above the 20 nanogram per milliliter in several participants in the hours after exposure. But these concentrations dipped below this threshold for all participants within 24 hours, according to the study, conducted by researchers at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and elsewhere."

https://www.newsweek.com/could-second-h ... est-278913

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Great, so only 1 person would have their life destroyed with the least sensitive test and "several" would have it destroyed with the more sensitive one. I wonder if that one that may or may not be used by foreign nations random testing flight crews. Good to hear it's employed non-typically in the work place.

Puffpuffpass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Puffpuffpass »

mbav8r wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:49 pm

Maaaannnn! I am a successful pot head, Maaaan! You think people who smoke pot go around broadcasting it to ignorant know it alls like yourself??? You are delusional!!!
Whats worse Maaaan, me smoking a joint and havin 2-3 beers, nice buzz and a nice sound sleep, or me killing 7-8 Johnny Walkers, waking up 3-4 times throughout the night for a piss, only to wake up again in the morning feeling like I got hit with a bag of hammers???
It takes me a solid day to get over having a few drinks. There is zero hangover or day after effects with weed

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Victory wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:04 am Great, so only 1 person would have their life destroyed with the least sensitive test and "several" would have it destroyed with the more sensitive one. I wonder if that one that may or may not be used by foreign nations random testing flight crews. Good to hear it's employed non-typically in the work place.
I guess you forgot to read the part that says “during a brief window 4-6 hr after exposure. If you’re part of a house party 4-6 hrs before a flight, I think you’re doing it wrong.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Puffpuffpass wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:24 am Maaaannnn! I am a successful pot head, Maaaan! You think people who smoke pot go around broadcasting it to ignorant know it alls like yourself??? You are delusional!!!
Whats worse Maaaan, me smoking a joint and havin 2-3 beers, nice buzz and a nice sound sleep, or me killing 7-8 Johnny Walkers, waking up 3-4 times throughout the night for a piss, only to wake up again in the morning feeling like I got hit with a bag of hammers???
It takes me a solid day to get over having a few drinks. There is zero hangover or day after effects with weed
Sounds like they should ban alcohol too.

Return to “General Comments”