Air Canada and Westjet...what a joke

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

yousoundfoolish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Air Canada and Westjet...what a joke

Post by yousoundfoolish »

You are flying to say Dubai, or maybe Shanghai. Long flight, fatiguing. Weathers not the best, conditions a bit tricky and you roll off the side of the runway into the grass. You know who doesn’t care about your “constitutional” right to get high? Authorities anywhere else in the world except perhaps Uruguay. They also aren’t going to be pleased if they find THC in your system. Do you guys really need to smoke weed that desperately? I mean there is even a guy in here arguing the 12 hour rule on booze is too stringent. Ridiculous.
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

If I have an 8am report time, can I not safely finish a single glass of wine with my spouse at 10:30pm before bed? Certainly breaks the 12 hour bottle-to-throttle rule.

That said, it's easy to give up if it is required for regulatory compliance.

I know nothing of pot, but I do wish that the rules be based on science. But we all know that science has no place in the fatigue regulations....

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

goingnowherefast wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:06 am If I have an 8am report time, can I not safely finish a single glass of wine with my spouse at 10:30pm before bed? Certainly breaks the 12 hour bottle-to-throttle rule.
I dunno, man? As I advance in age, I find that any fluid intake after ~ 8pm pretty much consigns me to a 3:30 am pee break, and then a restless sleep thereafter!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
No Smoke, No Fire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Smoke, No Fire »

yousoundfoolish wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:33 am You are flying to say Dubai, or maybe Shanghai. Long flight, fatiguing. Weathers not the best, conditions a bit tricky and you roll off the side of the runway into the grass. You know who doesn’t care about your “constitutional” right to get high? Authorities anywhere else in the world except perhaps Uruguay. They also aren’t going to be pleased if they find THC in your system. Do you guys really need to smoke weed that desperately? I mean there is even a guy in here arguing the 12 hour rule on booze is too stringent. Ridiculous.
Oh man, I’m in Shanghai now?! Could’ve sworn I left the Beaver tied to the dock last night...

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

Oh man, I’m in Shanghai now?! Could’ve sworn I left the Beaver tied to the dock last night...

Hi In ShangHI but not REALLY there lol

apilotguy85
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by apilotguy85 »

I think the real issue with cannabis is that one can’t test current level of impairment, so company’s issues a blanket ban on what can be tested. Which is the metabolized protiens of THC (THC being the physoactive component)
THC metabolizes into THC-COOH (which to my current knowledge is non-physoactive), so with current technology it’s safer to issue a blanket ban on how long the metabolized protiens stay in ones system untill there is a fast easy way to test for the actual THC levels (level of impairment) is devoleped! Then you may see a shift in cannabis policy’s!
Intresting to note Nav-Canada’s policy (ATC) on cannabis is to show up to work fit for duty (not impaired) and what they do in there own time is there responsibility

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Can confirm blanket ban at at least my current trucking company. Memo just posted.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Pot stocks.
Crushed today.
LOL!

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:36 pm Pot stocks.
Crushed today.
LOL!
That's just profit taking...they are still great businesses, it's just that the smart money got in there long ago and is getting out now. I guess I should have bought it when I saw their Gulfstream parked next to me on the ramp a few years ago, next to Costco's Gulfstream. Seems to be a good indicator of a business that is generating tons of cash.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:54 pm
Crushed today.
LOL!
That's just profit taking...they are still great businesses, it's just that the smart money got in there long ago and is getting out now. I guess I should have bought it when I saw their Gulfstream parked next to me on the ramp a few years ago, next to Costco's Gulfstream. Seems to be a good indicator of a business that is generating tons of cash.

No thanks. And no, it isn't.

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

Stick to flying. You have no idea what you are saying.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

Well I was going to have a nice spliff with my wife and watch a funny movie before bed and be fresh up for duty. Guess i'll legally slam 18 beers 12 hrs before my duty instead. Hopefully I don't smell like PBRs during my crew briefing. :goodman: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited by CPT.HarshColdReality on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:32 pm
CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:54 pm
Crushed today.
LOL!

No thanks. And no, it isn't.
My bank account and TFSA disagrees.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

YAY. PENIS FIGHTS!

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Lightchop wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:57 pm
My bank account and TFSA disagrees.
You actually sound like you know what you're talking about.

Everyone does -- till they get hit.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:24 am Well I was going to have a nice spliff with my wife and watch a funny movie before bed and be fresh up for duty. Guess i'll legally slam 18 beers 12 hrs before my duty instead. Hopefully I don't smell like PBRs during my crew briefing. :goodman: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you do that you’re not legal either!
For “binge” drinking, you must allow 24 hours prior to reporting for duty, at a absolute minimum, the average person metabolizes 1 ounce or 1 drink per hour. Therefore your example would require 18 hours.
I honestly don’t get how a professional pilot could argue for using marijuana, I’ve never met a successful pothead, maaannn!

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

mbav8r wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:49 pm
CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:24 am Well I was going to have a nice spliff with my wife and watch a funny movie before bed and be fresh up for duty. Guess i'll legally slam 18 beers 12 hrs before my duty instead. Hopefully I don't smell like PBRs during my crew briefing. :goodman: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you do that you’re not legal either!
For “binge” drinking, you must allow 24 hours prior to reporting for duty, at a absolute minimum, the average person metabolizes 1 ounce or 1 drink per hour. Therefore your example would require 18 hours.
I honestly don’t get how a professional pilot could argue for using marijuana, I’ve never met a successful pothead, maaannn!

This can't be a real post? Never met a successful pothead? Generalizing much?

Again, pot isn't my cup of tea but I'd much rather have pot around than second hand smoke.

The thing I like the most is the freedom to exercise rights. If I ever wanted to hang around my successful "pothead" friends (lawyers, doctors, PhDs) when there's a couple of joints at a get together, or at a cottage, I shouldn't have job security to worry about if I inhale second hand smoke.

Not to mention inadvertently inhaling second hand smoke and, say, a runway incursion warrants a urine sample which puts me to jail for half my life.

Again, this is someone who doesn't want to smoke, just not for me, I just want realistic regulations that safeguard witch hunting a legal drug.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Why wasn’t second hand pot smoke never raised as a concern before? It’s not like people didn’t smoke it before and it is likely that people that smoked it before smoke it today.

Going for the deck at corner
FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

AuxBatOn wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:25 pm Why wasn’t second hand pot smoke never raised as a concern before? It’s not like people didn’t smoke it before and it is likely that people that smoked it before smoke it today.
Because some people don't break the law? I had 60 year old neighbours that hadn't smoked in like 30 years light up just because, why not?

It will be way more mainstream now than it ever was. I could see accidental consumption of food products happening very easy, too.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

I think people are using this as an argument to have pot allowed. But that's a weak argument. It hasn't prevented people to fly before, it won't today. What I learned with time is that most people think about their self before anything else.... And be damned we infringe on their "rights"...

Going for the deck at corner

Return to “General Comments”