Air Canada and Westjet...what a joke

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Air Canada and Westjet...what a joke

Post by jakeandelwood »

Alcohol used to be used as a pain relief, on the old sailing ships they'd give you a bottle and a stick to bite while they hacked your injured leg off.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

jakeandelwood wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:35 am Alcohol used to be used as a pain relief, on the old sailing ships they'd give you a bottle and a stick to bite while they hacked your injured leg off.
Now that would be a great policy: you can drink and smoke whenever you want, but if you do, it will cost you a limb.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Puffpuffpass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Puffpuffpass »

telex wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:52 pm
Puffpuffpass wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:09 pm
pianokeys wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:58 pm

I bet you live in YYT.
Nope, try again, I like this game.....
Leduc...
Thats not even funny....

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Since there are no meaningful studies on the effects of cannabis, can I assume there are the same amount of studies on second hand smoke from it as well?
Without that, how could the Ontario governments make it legal to smoke pot where ever it’s legal to smoke cigarettes?
To me this means I can walk out of a mall into a cloud of secondhand pot smoke and potentially fail a drug test. To me this is much worse than attending a party of pot smokers because if I did I would turn around and walk out, not worth the risk but to allow this in public is incomprehensible.
It should be considered the same as any other mind altering substance, not allowed anywhere underage people could be, period!

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Invoke the Ross Rebagliati defense

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Puffpuffpass wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:29 am
telex wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:52 pm
Puffpuffpass wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:09 pm

Nope, try again, I like this game.....
Leduc...
Thats not even funny....
Agreed. Second shot, Sydney Mines.

cptnCanada
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cptnCanada »

Yet the military sees fit that a 28 day abstinence is perfectly fine. Double standard much government?

Eating shitty food is an impairment. Not exercising is an impairment, booze, FATIGUE, I could go on, yet everyone seems to be hung up on cannabis.

I don't understand how some of you think it is OK for a company to dictate a full ban on something like this. Slippery slope folks. Those who consume alcohol should start to sweat a bit as that could be next. I can guarantee you if alcohol prohibition was ending it would be a ban on booze.

Your country has given you a right. You company doesn't have the right to take that away.

And for those of you who think smoking pot turns you into a lazy stereotypical pothead....isnt alcohol proven to kill brain cells?

Double standards folks. You either support our right to be able to take a puff on our own time and come to work fit for duty, or a ban anything and everything that may not be Dr. Oz approved as being the be all and end all to steller human health.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

scientifically proven medicine for many diseases and ailments
-- I guess that is why the medical profession is so opposed to it

Nothing will change - the black market will still be there and will have it's customers and the government will be so easy to compete against. All the "bad guys" have to do is supply a "better" product since the prices will always be a little less and they likely do door to door --

It will still boil down to do at your own risk. Companies will bring in their policy and if you choose not to follow it be prepared to lose your job. One a more somber note. Have an accident and you are tested (alive or dead) kiss everything good by. You will be hung out to dry and if you aren't in the position to care after the fact your family certainly will.

But we see it everyday, people ready to lose it all for a few minutes of silliness, add pot to that 20yr to 25yr brain and well, lets say I have witnessed higher thinking in action more than once. :smt040

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

mbav8r wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:30 am Since there are no meaningful studies on the effects of cannabis, can I assume there are the same amount of studies on second hand smoke from it as well?
Without that, how could the Ontario governments make it legal to smoke pot where ever it’s legal to smoke cigarettes?
To me this means I can walk out of a mall into a cloud of secondhand pot smoke and potentially fail a drug test. To me this is much worse than attending a party of pot smokers because if I did I would turn around and walk out, not worth the risk but to allow this in public is incomprehensible.
It should be considered the same as any other mind altering substance, not allowed anywhere underage people could be, period!
Many provinces are treating it the same as alcohol. Only to be consumed in your own home or other “permitted” places. Ontario has definitely dropped the ball on this

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

mbav8r wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:30 am Since there are no meaningful studies on the effects of cannabis, can I assume there are the same amount of studies on second hand smoke from it as well?
It should be treated the same as booze and cigarettes combined, you can't be in public with open liquor, why should pot be allowed? Why should I have to smell someone else's disgusting pot smoke in a public place?

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

Policies are now being released for hospitals and they are not implementing any sort of ban. It's simply "do it on your own time, off the property, be fit for work and there's no problems". Perhaps these medical professionals have a better idea of the true effects of cannabis vs. The old boys in airline management and policing :roll:

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Air traffic controllers can use cannabis off-duty but are expected to be fit to work when they show up for their shifts.

https://www.thestar.com/news/cannabis/2 ... -duty.html

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

cptnCanada wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:55 pm Yet the military sees fit that a 28 day abstinence is perfectly fine. Double standard much government?

Eating shitty food is an impairment. Not exercising is an impairment, booze, FATIGUE, I could go on, yet everyone seems to be hung up on cannabis.

I don't understand how some of you think it is OK for a company to dictate a full ban on something like this. Slippery slope folks. Those who consume alcohol should start to sweat a bit as that could be next. I can guarantee you if alcohol prohibition was ending it would be a ban on booze.

Your country has given you a right. You company doesn't have the right to take that away.

And for those of you who think smoking pot turns you into a lazy stereotypical pothead....isnt alcohol proven to kill brain cells?

Double standards folks. You either support our right to be able to take a puff on our own time and come to work fit for duty, or a ban anything and everything that may not be Dr. Oz approved as being the be all and end all to steller human health.
I strongly agree with everything said above! Spot on! I would expect the unions to start suing the airlines. A company can't forbid an individual to engage in legal activities as long as it does not impair his or her ability to do their job. (Ex. come to work fit to fly). I'm curious how many pilots in Canada smoke weed on a regular basis; and so far, I can't think of a single case where a pilot came to work stoned. I do remember quite a few pilots showing up to work drunk...

Das ist mir wurst...
Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

I can't think of a single case where a pilot came to work stoned.
The pilot of the Tindi Caravan crash in 2011 had THC in his system. TSB pointed to his "impairment" as a principle cause.

Personally I think that's debatable since he was known to be a regular consumer (thereby increasing his tolerance). More concerning to me was his .. running in IFR conditions and a history of poor pilot decision making with next to no company oversight at that time.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I have to ask, what exactly "fit for duty" means? Based on self assessment it can't be deemed a 100% fool proof system (yes I understand there is no such noninvasive system, but) by implementation of such "loose" controls is just not acceptable for the protection of crews and clients alike. If a pilot can't see the pitfalls of alcohol and drug use he likely should not be strapping an aircraft to their ass in the first place.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Mr. North wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:54 am
The pilot of the Tindi Caravan crash in 2011 had THC in his system. TSB pointed to his "impairment" as a principle cause.

Personally I think that's debatable since he was known to be a regular consumer (thereby increasing his tolerance). More concerning to me was his .. running in IFR conditions and a history of poor pilot decision making with next to no company oversight at that time.
Exactly. that's this guy's legacy... No one will ever know if he was smoking between turns or the night before or the week before... Although he did register quite a high amount.
A lot of you fail to realize that through not fault of your own, you could be implicated in an accident with loss of life. If THC is registered in your blood because you're a casual smoker. Even if you showed up to work 'fit', be prepared to be financially/emotionally ruined. Don't think for a moment that management or the union will go to the bat when you get hit with that wrongful death lawsuit. It always amuses me when I fly with coworkers that are ridiculously rigid on SOP/AOM procedures and then brag about smoking weed on weekends and breaking the 12hr bottle to throttle on occassions.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
No Smoke, No Fire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Smoke, No Fire »

CanadianEh wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:25 pm Policies are now being released for hospitals and they are not implementing any sort of ban. It's simply "do it on your own time, off the property, be fit for work and there's no problems". Perhaps these medical professionals have a better idea of the true effects of cannabis vs. The old boys in airline management and policing :roll:

+1

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Mr. North wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:54 am

Regular consumer.... With a history of poor decision making... who would have thought!?

Wow...mind blown!!!

musicalpilotchairs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by musicalpilotchairs »

No Smoke, No Fire wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:41 am
CanadianEh wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:25 pm Policies are now being released for hospitals and they are not implementing any sort of ban. It's simply "do it on your own time, off the property, be fit for work and there's no problems". Perhaps these medical professionals have a better idea of the true effects of cannabis vs. The old boys in airline management and policing :roll:

+1
Hmmm, the medical profession kills significantly more people annually than aviation. Doctors, nurses etc, should be banned also if this is the logic.

N181CS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by N181CS »

Even the time limit on the bottle to throttle is a bit over reaching in my opinion. (Not saying I don't follow the rules or have a problem with the booze) but if you show up with a BAC of 0.00 how could say someone is unfit for work? We are far from the most responsible and dangerous professions out there, (up there for sure) but yet we are one of the most regulated in our FREE TIME. Cops drink on the job, some even have criminal records yet still gainfully employed. Drs do the same and I'm sure judges and lawyers as well. Do you not need a medical to be an ATC and be licensed by TC? The military flies in civilian airspace at civilian airports would this not be a treat to civil aviation? If they have month off or more blast away but any other pilot? Would a military pilot never be eligible for a conversion or what if they have a civil licence already...

Return to “General Comments”